Rooster

Casual User
Nov 15, 2015
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Anniversary
Am rebuilding the rear end of my C3 and was wondering if anyone has any experience in this. Is it worth buying the whole package with the rods etc? How hard is it to push out and replace those bushings?

Am rebuilding the rear end of my C3 and was wondering if anyone has any experience in this. Is it worth buying the whole package with the rods etc? How hard is it to push out and replace those bushings?

I do. Currently doing it right now. I’m installing a dual mount rear fiberglass spring and powdercoated my rear crossmember. I then pulled the diff and I disassembled it and sending it in for sand blasting and pwder coating then it’s off for a rebuild.

If you drop your leaf spring, place a jack under your diff, undo the 2 crossmember bolts, then hit it with PB blaster. I had to use a 4 foot pry bar to pop the crossmember from frame. Then you can lower the diff slightly and reach in and undo the bolts on top of the diff. Once those are out just slide the crossmember out. I prefer this method as dropping the diff with the crossmember attach has a lot of weight and is very wide which increases the chances of you hitting something.

From there you can decide what else you want to take off and remove. By rods I’m assuming you mean strut rods. I replaced mine with heavy duty ones with adjustable HEIM joints. Well worth it imo.

I’m here if you have any other questions.

Hi Rooster,

I am currently rebuilding the rear end of my car and it's a big job. Everything at the rear is being replaced with brand new parts. Let me tell you that it cost me lots of money,, especially when you buy from the united states.. exchange + duties + shipping and it ended up costing me about 10K.

This included my differential yokes replaced and powercoated and all my shafts got powercoated as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbozig
Don’t let Sly scare you. Yes, if you want to go the expensive route it can get very expensive very fast. I bought van steel offset trailing arms, new spindles, rear dual mount fiberglass leaf spring, adjustable heavy duty struts with HEIM joints, QA1 single sadjustable shocks and the differential rebuild. Every other part I sandblasted and sent out for powder coating. I’m around $4000CDN and I chose to go the more expensive route. It’s like everything. You can easily spend lots of money but if you take your time hunting for good prices ie. Canadian corvette parts distributor, catching sales, and doing as much as you can yourself, you’ll save a lot.

Sorry Rooster I didn't mean to scare you :) I just wanted to tell you upfront how much work was involved but I also powder coated lots of parts like the rear frame bumper and other parts.. I went hardcore lol

Reactions: turbozig
I am in the middle of the same job on my 70. New trailing arms ordered from Vtech Corvette. All misc small, rubber parts and new fuel tank from Corvette Central. All of the original parts sent in to Impact coatings for semi gloss black and cast iron color powder coating. The rear differential I am having Alberta Driveline rebuild once the housing, cover and yokes are back from powder coating. A big job and pricy as noted but a very important part of the car. I am in close to 5K all in doing as much work myself as possible. Budgeting to have back on wheels and running end of April.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try and use as much of the original parts as possible including the strut rods. I’ll post some up dates soon. Thanks again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.