May 1, 2016
VetteCoins
Is there a way of knowing if you have a loose rear axle nut or do you pull the wheel and check the torque every so often? I understand this problem is on C5 , C6 and C7's. I don't want to find out what happens when the wheel falls off.

This was a TSB issued for 2005/2006 models. Hope it helps.

Corvette V8-6.0L VIN U (2005)

Axle Nut: All Technical Service Bulletins
Drivetrain - Rear Axle Nut Torquing Procedure

Bulletin No.: 05-04-95-001
Date: November 11, 2005
INFORMATION
Subject:
Rear Wheel Drive Shaft Nut Torque Specification Requirements and Information on Replacement Shafts For Service

Models:
2004-2006 Cadillac XLR
2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette
Rear Wheel Drive Shaft Nut Torque Procedure
Note:
^
If service requires the removal and reinstallation of the rear wheel drive shaft retaining nut, it is CRITICAL to follow the torque procedure below.
Failure to follow the torque procedure may result in a inadequate torque specification.
^
If service requires removal and reinstallation of the rear wheel drive shafts, clean the inboard mating surface of the wheel bearing and the mating
surface of the axle shaft of any foreign material prior to assembly. Failure to properly clean the mating surface may result in an inadequate torque
specification.

Insert a drift or punch into the brake rotor cooling fins and against the caliper to prevent the wheel hub and bearing from turning.
Begin to install the drive shaft retaining nut onto the drive shaft by hand.
Slowly tighten the nut to draw the drive shaft to the wheel hub and bearing.
Tighten
Tighten the drive axle spindle nut to 160 N.m (118 lb ft).
Remove the drift or punch.
Rear Wheel Drive Shaft Assembly Available for Service
Note:
^
If service requires the removal of the rear wheel drive half shaft retaining nut, it is CRITICAL to follow the torque procedure above.
Failure to follow the torque procedure may result in a inadequate torque specification.
^
If service requires the replacement of the rear wheel drive shafts, clean the inboard mating surface of the wheel bearing and the mating
surface of the axle shaft of any foreign material prior to assembly. Failure to properly clean the mating service may result in an inadequate
torque specification.
Maintenance > Wheels and Tires > Wheel Hub > Axle Nut > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > All Technical Service Bulletins for Axle Nut: > 05-04-95-001 > Nov > 05 > Drivetrain - Rear Axle Nut Torquing Procedure

• Informative
Reactions: vt65 and 12cents
On my C6 I could take off the centre cap and check the axle nuts without removing the wheel. Eventually I just double-nutted them.

The C7 nut has a portion that bends into a groove in the axle. Unless that little nub of the nut breaks, then the nut can't back-off any more than 1/16 or so of a turn.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Loose wheel nuts will result in loud clicking sound from rear end.Wheel will not fall off.See updated TSB 07-04-95-001a dated May 28,2008.
It requires new wheel nuts Part #10257766.Install new wheel nuts using Loctite 272 Red.The TSB says to torque to 160 ft lbs.Talking to tech he said to torque to 140 ft lbs.I compromised and used 150 ft lbs and and used the old nuts to double nut the new axel nuts.
Haven't had any problems since.
Skip 74

Loose wheel nuts will result in loud clicking sound from rear end.Wheel will not fall off.See updated TSB 07-04-95-001a dated May 28,2008.
It requires new wheel nuts Part #10257766.Install new wheel nuts using Loctite 272 Red.The TSB says to torque to 160 ft lbs.Talking to tech he said to torque to 140 ft lbs.I compromised and used 150 ft lbs and and used the old nuts to double nut the new axel nuts.
Skip 74
I replaced my axle nuts this boring, used 150 ft-lb of torque, and installed the old nut on top of the new one.

No issues.

Skip 74

problem is my exhaust is too loud so i likely wouldn't hear the clicking noise ...

Reactions: Riley P
I replaced my axle nuts this boring, used 150 ft-lb of torque, and installed the old nut on top of the new one.

No issues.

I also double nut mine...an old racer trick from another car on which they kept loosening (loctite doesn't work when the brakes get really hot on track).
In the C6's case, i understand the original specs were too low.
Initially, when testing their snugness, when I applied the revised higher 150lb tq settings, both original nuts did break free despite having been snugged for 10years with loctite.
But, neither was actually loose before I touched them.
Having said that, the car had never before been used on track, so there's that to consider...it had never been subjected to high lateral loads or heat

Anyway, once the original nuts were re-torqued to 150lbs, I also just double nutted the replacements on top.
The only caveat is that my originals (2008 Z06) were 33mm hex, and the replacements are 34mm hex, so I had to add yet another axle nut socket to my ever increasing tool assortment. I don't know when GM superseded the original nuts

Just order the ZR1 lock washers. They are a special double washer tapered side to side. When installed the nut can't back off at all. I can't seem to find the part number at the moment but the dealer should be able to get them for you. By the way this nut doesn't hold the wheel on. You can loose the nut completely and all that will happen is the axle can slop around in the splines of the hub. The nut just holds the axle in the hub of the wheel bearing.

Is there a way of knowing if you have a loose rear axle nut or do you pull the wheel and check the torque every so often? I understand this problem is on C5 , C6 and C7's. I don't want to find out what happens when the wheel falls off.
we are having a brake job done on our 2011 & we asked the mechanic to check the nuts.sure enough- one was almost off.............going to install 2 new ones!!

• Wow
Reactions: vt65
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.