Saw this guy for the first time this summer in the front, with a little patience and preparation I was able to get a shot of him (or her):

IMG_5372 enhanced.JPG

LaFarge Cement Plant in Toronto's Portlands District. This place fascinates me partly because I can't quite figure out how it works. The facility is more vertical than spread out over a large area. There is a shipping canal that lake freighters back into, captain and crew skill for sure. They offload, well I am not really sure. There are silos, a steady stream of trucks unloading or loading I can't figure out. What you never see is a cement mixer. Anybody ever work in one of these facilities? I would like to know what actually happens there.

20200910_134817.jpg

LaFarge Cement Plant in Toronto's Portlands District. This place fascinates me partly because I can't quite figure out how it works. The facility is more vertical than spread out over a large area. There is a shipping canal that lake freighters back into, captain and crew skill for sure. They offload, well I am not really sure. There are silos, a steady stream of trucks unloading or loading I can't figure out. What you never see is a cement mixer. Anybody ever work in one of these facilities? I would like to know what actually happens there.
Not exactly sure about that specific plant that you have photographed however there may be a good chance that ships are both delivering raw material and others leaving with Portland Cement (which is a powder ingredient for making Concrete). The word Cement is often misused with final mixture which is correctly termed as Concrete (It's a Concrete walkway and not actually a Cement walkway). So this is why you will not see Concrete Mix Trucks leaving the plant but rather Trucks that haul the powder ingredient to a Concrete Plant (where you will see stockpiles of the other ingredients). Trying to keep it simple and not sure if this helps the question you were asking …
cement.jpg

Last edited:
I really liked how bare boned the interior was. The steering wheel wasn't even covered with anything.

They come with power windows and mirrors and that's about it. The cloth seats are unheated and manually adjusted. Although there is a lot of adjustments. Almost everyone changes the steering wheels as they are gross. Mine is a small leather-wrapped Momo. The interiors are nothing to write home about with rubber on the floor to work with the boat plugs up in the front footwells. Mine will ford 60" of water which means you get wet feet. Many also wrap the interior with leather which really makes them a nice truck to ride in as it also cuts down on the thundering noise at speed. But for the purists, the military HMMWV version of this truck is what you may really like then. It is totally utilitarian and has that "terminator" look inside.

Is it a fantastic and fun truck? Well let me put it this way. I sold my beloved Z06 Corvette as I am not around to enjoy it. No way I am selling the Hummer.

6AF07617-2896-4862-88A1-34C4D4920AE3_1_105_c.jpeg
971AA106-540E-461D-BA61-386E1811D08A_1_105_c.jpeg

9BA70909-3A70-4882-A862-CA88EBB22C05_1_105_c.jpeg

They come with power windows and mirrors and that's about it. The cloth seats are unheated and manually adjusted. Although there is a lot of adjustments. Almost everyone changes the steering wheels as they are gross. Mine is a small leather-wrapped Momo. The interiors are nothing to write home about with rubber on the floor to work with the boat plugs up in the front footwells. Mine will ford 60" of water which means you get wet feet. Many also wrap the interior with leather which really makes them a nice truck to ride in as it also cuts down on the thundering noise at speed. But for the purists, the military HMMWV version of this truck is what you may really like then. It is totally utilitarian and has that "terminator" look inside.

Is it a fantastic and fun truck? Well let me put it this way. I sold my beloved Z06 Corvette as I am not around to enjoy it. No way I am selling the Hummer.

View attachment 43957View attachment 43958
View attachment 43959

So how are the H2 models in comparison to the H1?

But for the purists, the military HMMWV version of this truck is what you may really like then. It is totally utilitarian and has that "terminator" look inside.

Me and two other lads from the Regiment had a ride in one back in 84 when I was stationed in Germany, courtesy of a nutbar Staff Sgt from the American Army we'd met while on an EX near Grafenwohr. That thing was freakishly fast and stable as hell, as proved when he put the sucker sideways on a gravel road at 80kmh and drifted it around a corner. It was awesome!

Max what equipment did you use to get that shot? So clear, the colours are wonderful. :thumbs:

This shot was taken with my previous camera which was a Canon T2i using a Canon zoom lens at 250mm. The lighting must have been ideal at the time, I took the shot from atop a bridge without a tripod. Thanks for the compliment!

Users who are viewing this thread