Casual User
Mar 15, 2018
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
1971 Corvette
Province
AB
My radiator support is completely rusted, and my radiator is pretty beat up so I am looking to replace both of them. Originally, my 71 vette had a 27.5" core support but I want to replace it with aluminum support since I'm thinking of putting in a DeWitts Direct Fit Aluminum radiator. Is the process as simple as removing the old support and putting in the new support, or is additional work required to go from a 27.5" core support to an aluminum one?

Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
Hello Prab. Not positive but I have a 69 similar I believe, and if I remember reading on another forum that there was something about having to get different upper cushion/supports that are on the top of the rad due to the different shape of the top of the rad. Not a big deal I see a vendor has them for $6 USD each. Most vendors seem to have a wide selection of entire supports for the size and configuration ( 4sp or auto, AC non AC). Might want to tear apart first to see what the foam seals and other cushions are like. Fifty year olds deserve to have parts replaced.
I haven't dealt with Dewitt's Products but have only heard good things about them and the service if you have questions or concerns about their products. Might be worth looking at the website and giving them a call about any concerns about the job. Good luck and take care.

Reactions: Prab
Hello Prab. Not positive but I have a 69 similar I believe, and if I remember reading on another forum that there was something about having to get different upper cushion/supports that are on the top of the rad due to the different shape of the top of the rad. Not a big deal I see a vendor has them for $6 USD each. Most vendors seem to have a wide selection of entire supports for the size and configuration ( 4sp or auto, AC non AC). Might want to tear apart first to see what the foam seals and other cushions are like. Fifty year olds deserve to have parts replaced.
I haven't dealt with Dewitt's Products but have only heard good things about them and the service if you have questions or concerns about their products. Might be worth looking at the website and giving them a call about any concerns about the job. Good luck and take care.
Thanks for the information. If it's only the cushion/supports that are different, then that shouldn't be too big of a problem. I'm just worried about the spacing. A lot of the aluminum radiator supports I found don't have their dimensions listed, and I'm removing a 27" core radiator support so I'm hoping it'll be an easy fit without any alterations needed.

Hi Prad,
I installed a Dewitt radiator on my 67. Your 71 should be same principles. The direct fit should fit with little or no modifications unless you upgrade from 3 core (327 setup) to 4 core (427 setup). Mine just needed some minor cutting of the lips on the lower cushion supports.
In your case, since you need a new radiator support, you can buy either the small block or big block support, cushions, and cushion supports to go with the radiator you want. As mbp mentioned, I would definately call them, they have great customer service and will tell you exactly what you need. If you have a big block, you can also buy with the Spal dual fan setup as these big blocks are prone to over heating when idling in traffic.
I do have a suggestion for you. You mentioned an aluminum radiator support. Not 100% sure if you meant that you are looking for a support made of aluminum. I do NOT recommend that. There is not much stability on the front end of those C2 and C3 corvettes. That radiator support not only supports your rad, but is a major component of the support for the front nose. Unless you are building your car for the track, I would stick to a more solid metal support.

Good Luck
Luke

Hi Prad,
I installed a Dewitt radiator on my 67. Your 71 should be same principles. The direct fit should fit with little or no modifications unless you upgrade from 3 core (327 setup) to 4 core (427 setup). Mine just needed some minor cutting of the lips on the lower cushion supports.
In your case, since you need a new radiator support, you can buy either the small block or big block support, cushions, and cushion supports to go with the radiator you want. As mbp mentioned, I would definately call them, they have great customer service and will tell you exactly what you need. If you have a big block, you can also buy with the Spal dual fan setup as these big blocks are prone to over heating when idling in traffic.
I do have a suggestion for you. You mentioned an aluminum radiator support. Not 100% sure if you meant that you are looking for a support made of aluminum. I do NOT recommend that. There is not much stability on the front end of those C2 and C3 corvettes. That radiator support not only supports your rad, but is a major component of the support for the front nose. Unless you are building your car for the track, I would stick to a more solid metal support.

Good Luck
Luke
Hi Luke,
This does reassure me, so thank you. For the aluminum radiator support, I meant a radiator support that would work with an aluminum radiator. Just from looking online at various suppliers, I found that there are radiator supports that work for only copper radiators. The radiator support I am looking to buy is from Corvette depot,

In the product description, it does say that it's a reproduction of the original so I think it should be good. The only downside is this support is for no air. I haven't been able to find one with air.

Last edited:
Hi Prad,
Zip Corvette lists radiator support for 350 with Auto or AC, but they are in the US. There are actually 2 listed, items M-4269 and M-2408B, with exactly the same decriptions but $100 difference in price, not sure what thats about. I'm not familiar enough with C3 but you would have to check if support for automatic is ok for 4 speed.
Luke

Reactions: Prab
Hi Prad,
Zip Corvette lists radiator support for 350 with Auto or AC, but they are in the US. There are actually 2 listed, items M-4269 and M-2408B, with exactly the same decriptions but $100 difference in price, not sure what thats about. I'm not familiar enough with C3 but you would have to check if support for automatic is ok for 4 speed.
Luke
I looked into the M-4208B, and I found the exact same part on Corvette depot
but on there it says that this support is for copper radiators only.

My radiator support is completely rusted, and my radiator is pretty beat up so I am looking to replace both of them. Originally, my 71 vette had a 27.5" core support but I want to replace it with aluminum support since I'm thinking of putting in a DeWitts Direct Fit Aluminum radiator. Is the process as simple as removing the old support and putting in the new support, or is additional work required to go from a 27.5" core support to an aluminum one?

Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Go OEM or close to it if not available. Sometimes remanufactured parts are better than original considering the age of the car. 🤞😷

Bleeding the air out of the system is imperative after the refill. If the cylinder heads are above the water pump, hoses & radiator then bleeding the air out of the system additionally requires use of the coolant bleeder bolts on the engine with it running.

Users who are viewing this thread