CCO

Old Timer
Aug 5, 2011
Cambridge ON
VetteCoins
Car
2006 vert, 1994 vert
My weekly Windows 7 defragmentation reveals that my SYSTEM is 7% fragmented. see pic. -- It's been that way for months so nothing new. I might add that the 'puter runs well with no hangups.
Is this 7% frag. of the SYSTEM normal and can it be defragmented? If so how?

The 'bug's' system mechanic yellow/orange warning is just virus/spyware definitions updates.

TIA.
C.

defr.jpg

Yes, good ol' Macs. That's what I would like to get back to once the funds come available and my computer bites the big one. Macs defrag the hard drive every time you start them so that is one reason why they do not have this problem.

Thanks guys -- I appreciate the suggestion and have heard good things about Macs, (and it's on my wish list) but what about defragmenting my Windows (SYSTEM) POS to get me by now.

Really don't want the hassle and expense of switching over right now.

Just need to know if it's possible to defragment 'SYSTEM' on my Windows.

Thanks
C.

You bet you can defrag your system. Just click on SYSTEM and hit Defrag Disk.

(I even checked with our office computer nerd to verify this).

I wish -- Tried, and no go Riley.That's why I'm on here asking the 'experts'. :)

I can defrag C: and D: but it won't allow defrag of SYSTEM.-- when engaged it just tries and cancels itself.:confused:

That's why I need to know if there's another way or even if it's necessary or how detrimental it is to carry SYSTEM fragmentation.

Colin.

You won't be able to degrag the SYSTEM partition nor do you need to. This is a partition that has been reserved by the manufacturer of your laptop and windows 7.

You will never use this partition and can ignore it. The only partition you need to concern yourself with is C:.

Ah! That is above my experience with computers. If it isn't easy, I can't help.

Have you tried Googling "defrag SYSTEM disk, Windows 7"? That is usually my next step.

Thanks for the replies Riley -- I did try googling defrag 7 and searching 7's help database but no joy.
Seems we need not concern about the SYSTEM defrag -- only C: drive.
Cheers...
C.

You won't be able to degrag the SYSTEM partition nor do you need to. This is a partition that has been reserved by the manufacturer of your laptop and windows 7.

You will never use this partition and can ignore it. The only partition you need to concern yourself with is C:.

That's what I needed to know and it's good news, Zeeman -- cheers for the info.

HLN A55
I've heard many times how much better and less problematic Mac is compared to Windows -- trouble is for the moment I'm in over my head with 7 and can't justify and changeover. I do spend enough time with it to keep it working well for me tho maintenance is, IMHO, excessive and time consuming.
A Mac is on my wish list tho as said b4 -- Thank you also for responding.
Cheers,
C.

You'll be glad you did. Trust me. Until then like you've read... Keep computing. You don't have anything to worry about at all. Even if the fragmentation was on you C: it still isn't a big deal.

The system administrators where I work have disable access to the defrag utility and after 3 years the fragmentation might reach 35% and even then it doesnt affect anything.

Cheers!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread