Sick numbers Carlo! Now are you going to throw down some other numbers for those if us who may wish to follow in "some" of your steps?

Who did your work?

I was going to do the work myself but i just don't have the place or time to do it. I've never done one of these cars before either but i was just going to plug away at it if i had the space. I brought in all my own parts and took it to Davenport Motorsports here in Calgary. They did the install and the tune.

I'd say my whole package is about $10K-$11K

4.10's and you will just be smoking the rubber and getting no traction unless you plan to put some monster wide rubber on the
back of that car. I think on the stock rims you can go to 305 wide anything beyond that and you will need new rims and tires.
I went with 3.73's just so if I ever decided to FI the car then it would be a good gear choice, 3.90's would be plenty and the
4.10's would be insane with 500+RWHP things happen really fast!

Last edited:
On an additional note... maybe someone can help me understand why people claim to have "lost" low rpm torque with the larger cams. Fact of the matter is that even my 236/238 cam is "considered" to be on the larger side of a street cam (nothing like a 24x/25x :rofl:) and i did a whole bunch of research about people claiming to loose low rpm torque...

Fact of the matter is that I make the same torque with the NEW cam @ 3k RPM that I used to make @ 4k and more of it regardless!! So really, how am I misintepreting this analogy??? Even 404 RWT with this crazy a cam is 60 RWT higher than stock and I'm sure that it comes on sooner than stock too!!

Where is Manny to explain this? Since I am here, let me butcher it and Manny can clean it up later.

The lost Torque is due to valve overlap meaning that at times, the exhaust and intake valves are open at the same time. Not so good at low rpms as the cylinder is not sealed and some of the intake charge goes with the exhaust making less torque but at higher rpms, the open exhaust valve helps to actually suck the intake charge into the cylinder. Plus, When you keep the valves open longer to get more air in or let more air out, at some point they are going to be open at the same time. That is also why if you go to too radical of a cam it won't idle at the normal rpm so you have to raise it. Enough intake charge goes out of the exhaust that there is not enough fuel/air in there to keep it running. Lumpity, lump, lump. Love the lumpy idle.

Where is Manny to explain this? Since I am here, let me butcher it and Manny can clean it up later.

The lost Torque is due to valve overlap meaning that at times, the exhaust and intake valves are open at the same time. Not so good at low rpms as the cylinder is not sealed and some of the intake charge goes with the exhaust making less torque but at higher rpms, the open exhaust valve helps to actually suck the intake charge into the cylinder. Plus, When you keep the valves open longer to get more air in or let more air out, at some point they are going to be open at the same time. That is also why if you go to too radical of a cam it won't idle at the normal rpm so you have to raise it. Enough intake charge goes out of the exhaust that there is not enough fuel/air in there to keep it running. Lumpity, lump, lump. Love the lumpy idle.

That was well said....not butchered at all.

That was well said....not butchered at all.

Dang if this keeps up , I may be out of a job on this forum .
Just to add a note :

Bigger is not always better . The 226/228 & 228/230 cam from Vengance are what I have been having the best results with. Good power right throught the entire rpm range and great street manners.

Thx
[email protected]

Manny... you have competition!!! Great explanation of why this occurs for sure but I think my question was a bit misguided from the start as I was comparing the torque gain from the new cam to the stock one. I agree that in some cases, slightly smaller cams might deliver better results for sure!

Dang if this keeps up , I may be out of a job on this forum .
Just to add a note :

Bigger is not always better . The 226/228 & 228/230 cam from Vengance are what I have been having the best results with. Good power right throught the entire rpm range and great street manners.

Thx
[email protected]

That being said I just love my 226/228 cam, great power and very reliable, no stalling or surge but that is part of the tuning by John @ Westport.
You get a high lift or extreme cam installed its just that harder to tune it in properly and get a good reliable idle from what I have seen,
guess it also depends on what your using the car for, a DD or for the track/strip. A high profile cam will move your hp/torque higher in the rpm
range which would be not that helpfull in daily driving but at the track crossing the line just under peak rpm would be ideal.
A high lift cam on the street would be a very choppy idle but if thats what you want then go for it, to each thier own.

Last edited:
Quick clip i made today. Still a few quirks to nail down with the tune but the thing is a fu**ing beast! :D

Thanks dude.....it's comin along. Ordered a new axle-back for it to tame it down a bit. Waiting to hear back from a few tuners who are looking at my file to help me sort out a couple things. Slowly but surely! :)

considering the cam, it's a fairly remarkable idle IMHO... with that much overlap you must have quite the stinker at idle though? I'm not sure if this is impacted by the presence or absence of cats though...

Are you running cats?

considering the cam, it's a fairly remarkable idle IMHO... with that much overlap you must have quite the stinker at idle though? I'm not sure if this is impacted by the presence or absence of cats though...

Are you running cats?

You are correct. She does stink a little. I am not running any but i will be changing over to a new mid-pipe with high flow cats shortly.

I believe idle is at 950rpm.

Well a little update.

New axle-back is now on...thank god! lol i can actually drive without having to pop a bottle of advil before heading out haha. Way quieter and actually seems faster! Well probably because i can actually put my foot into it now though lol. It is very unsuspecting now other than the car shaking at idle. Simply love it! Oh, by the way, it's for sale...taking offers! :D

:seeya:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread