xlr8r

Power User
Apr 23, 2012
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
I just went to Canadian Tire and managed to score some stuff for cheap--everything came in at under $100 after taxes. I'll inventory the list below. Has anyone tried the following products, or heard anything about them?

1. Simoniz 10' polish/wax kit (comes with 10' random orbital polisher/buffer"). Kit has a couple microfiber cloths in it as well.

2. Simoniz clay bar kit

3. Extra 10' microfiber bonnets for the polisher

4. Turtle wax Black Box (includes Prewax cleaner and condistioner, deep black carnauba wax, black spray detailers, & applicators)

There sure are a lot of products at Canadian Tire to chose from. I'm not sure if I should do this all at once, or just claybar, then use one or the other. I can still return some of this stuff as well. Any experiences with the Turtle Was kit?

Looking forward to trying something this weekend maybe. Depends on the golf schedule.......:rofl:

I use my Porter Cable after the claybar treatment. Using a medium cut polish to remove swirls (Pinnacle or Zaino), applied with the white foam pad. Polish with a white pad. Remove by hand with a micro fiber towel then "finish with a back ultra soft foam pad.
[mob][/mob]

from what I have read.....Simoniz 10" polisher runs too rapidly to be good as a
polisher/waxer. The Porter Cable unit seems to be the preferred item to use, and then
at setting ~ 5 .[ out of 10 ].
But then you're talking $ 60 vs. $180 !!!

Tony, welland

I use my Porter Cable after the claybar treatment. Using a medium cut polish to remove swirls (Pinnacle or Zaino), applied with the white foam pad. Polish with a white pad. Remove by hand with a micro fiber towel then "finish with a back ultra soft foam pad.
[mob][/mob]

I use almost the same treatment.
Clay Bar the car.....
Porter Cable dual action buffer:...
cut polish (Zaino PC) orange form pad (a little more bite)
Polish white foam pad (Z-5)
More polish black foam pad. (z-2)

I also use the Zaino polish by hand applying it.

Recently I tried some Adams detail spry and I am very impressed with it. Maybe next full detail I'll give Adams paint cleaner and polish a try.

Here's the results of what I did--but first, here's what I did.

1. Step 1--clay bar to the entire car. I did this twice because I never wiped with a microfiber cloth after the first go-around. Ended up going through 1.5 clay bars.

2. Used Turtle Wax Black Box. Step one was to put a pre-wax conditioner & cleaner on. I did this using my Simoniz 10" buffer.

3. Let pre-wax dry a little soa film was there. Then hand-buffed with black spray detailer to work the pre-wax in.

4. Added black carnauba wax--again using the buffer

5. Did another lap using the spray on detailer--again with hand-buff using microfiber towel.

By now it was dark, so I parked the car inside--realizing I should be going side-to-side, and not in circles. So, I tried again, and the polish was starting to take form. By this point I was getting a little tired though.

I decided to park the car and see what it looked like in the moring.

Morning came, and there was still some film on the car, so I took the same micofiber towel and started to buff everything out. Here's some pics of the end result.

DSC01507.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

The shadows of the tree made me think this worked well enough.

DSC01505.jpg

Hood looked like a mirror

DSC01504.jpg

As did the sides.
DSC01502.jpg

DSC01501.jpg

Yeah, it looks good, but does it look "wet"? You tell me.

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

My reflection.

All in all the entire process took almost 5 hours, but I think I could do this again in 3.5 having done it once now. The paint was pretty good before, but it did help take some of the circles out, and polish it up a little.

There were a few scratches that I was hoping to "buff" out, but it didnt happen.

When I run out of this stuff, I'll try Zaino--but that won't be until next season.

My overall impression (which is worthless because I have no benchmark here), is that I was happy. Despite the comments on the buffer, it helped speed the process up. The turtle wax kit was great for anyone with a black car. It was pretty cheap, so I'd endorse it.

Vince.

Good job Vince... The car looks great.
Black is not an easy colour to deal with.....but I think you are off to a good start.But don't think of it as work, it is showing some love for your girl..........

I think it might have been the nicest night of the year for a cruise, so I took it for a cruise for a couple hours. Had a blast!! It was turning heads everywhere, so it must look "wet".

Tonight , it felt awesome. Wind blowing in the through the coupe (roof off). Some great music and exhaust notes. Just one of those times when I was REALLY happy with the car.

And just think, the next time I do it (polish & wax), I'll be WAY more competent.:rofl:

Even though the purchase price is stinging with all the housework I've had to do lately, I felt real lucky to be a 'Vette owner tonight........:canada:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread