Nov 16, 2017
VetteCoins
I have a low kilometer 2019 Z06 and this year is the first time ever I experienced a battery issue on a Corvette. I typically disconnect the batteries in my cars during winter storage and reconnect them in the spring and have never had any issues. This year however, the Z06 wouldn't start after reconnecting the battery. All my other cars were OK. I checked the voltage on the Z06 and was surprised to see that the voltage was around 8 volts. After putting a charger on the battery for several hours, everything seemed back to normal. I've had the car on a battery tender for the past couple of weeks and the same thing happened today (no start and ~8 volts). I'm not sure if I have a defective battery tender or if the battery is shot. I'll find out tomorrow morning as it's currently on charge using a different battery tender.

Out of curiosity I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had a similar issue with the battery in their C7 Z06 and if so, how was the issue resolved?

@Zedaholic is it possible that the battery froze over the winter? Not sure from the write up what you did with it but if it was low on voltage to begin with they will freeze which is not good.

Baring that it sounds like you are going to have to get it load tested. Lots can go wrong with batteries over the years however a load test should give you some indication of having to get a replacement or not.

Best of luck with it.

@Zedaholic is it possible that the battery froze over the winter? Not sure from the write up what you did with it but if it was low on voltage to begin with they will freeze which is not good.

Baring that it sounds like you are going to have to get it load tested. Lots can go wrong with batteries over the years however a load test should give you some indication of having to get a replacement or not.

Best of luck with it.
Thanks for the reply. My garage is heated (+17C year round) so I can say with certainty that it did not freeze. I'm beginning to suspect that the battery has simply crapped out. I did some checking online and the consensus for how long batteries last in Canada is somewhere between 3 and 5 years with some failing prior to 3 years. I've had batteries last way longer which is why I'm a bit perplexed as to why this one seems to be an issue.

If I have to change it, I'll do it but will not look forward to the task. I recently replaced the battery in my 2014 Stingray as a preemptive measure and found it to be an unpleasant task as it doesn't drop straight in. The Z06 will be harder as it has stage 2 wickers which makes for more of a reach when working from the rear of the car. I'm not that tall and age is taking its toll which makes the job harder for me. I'll keep doing as much of my own work as I can while I'm still able to do it.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
My 2015 battery is still going strong. Heated garage that stays at minimum 10 Degrees. Had to change the battery on my 650 Can-am AV this winter after only 16 years. Battery in my diesel truck is 11 years, my daily dirty cruiser is 9 years old. so I'm considering myself fortunate. I don't unhook any of them but I do have a tender on them all.

Yup … had same experience about 4 years into C7 ownership. Replace battery … it’s shot.
Nothing to do with mileage/use and its just bad fortune when we have to depend so much on a battery. I will be replacing my battery every five years now as replacements are most likely made from recycled material.
Good news is that once replaced, corvette life with ICE will be so much better. JMO

I posted a thread to help those who don’t wanna pay $160-$180 per hour at an Alberta dealership. I have this referenced in 2 sections and now linked into this one … cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Zedaholic
I ended up replacing the battery as it was shot. All good now!
Appreciate your follow-up / thread-epilogue.
Great knowing the symptom(s) and resolve to complete this thread. Very helpful for the next fella in need … who might just come across this thread of yours 👍🏻

Curious if you ended up with DYI or just let a Dealership do it?

Reactions: Zedaholic
Appreciate your follow-up / thread-epilogue.
Great knowing the symptom(s) and resolve to complete this thread. Very helpful for the next fella in need … who might just come across this thread of yours 👍🏻

Curious if you ended up with DYI or just let a Dealership do it?
DYI. Credit goes to my wife as she actually got the battery into the proper position (her hands are smaller than mine). The replacement took less than an hour to complete.

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
I have a low kilometer 2019 Z06 and this year is the first time ever I experienced a battery issue on a Corvette. I typically disconnect the batteries in my cars during winter storage and reconnect them in the spring and have never had any issues. This year however, the Z06 wouldn't start after reconnecting the battery. All my other cars were OK. I checked the voltage on the Z06 and was surprised to see that the voltage was around 8 volts. After putting a charger on the battery for several hours, everything seemed back to normal. I've had the car on a battery tender for the past couple of weeks and the same thing happened today (no start and ~8 volts). I'm not sure if I have a defective battery tender or if the battery is shot. I'll find out tomorrow morning as it's currently on charge using a different battery tender.

Out of curiosity I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had a similar issue with the battery in their C7 Z06 and if so, how was the issue resolved?
I've had the same issue with my 19 - Z06 was fine the first winter but I had the identical issue after the second winter and had to replace the battery. Third winter had to replace it again! So this last winter I just took it out and brought it in the house and it's fine but the car isn't. It's completely dead even after hooking the battery up. There's no power anywhere it doesn't recognize fobs and the driver side window decided to go all the way down on its own. Any suggestions would be appreciated because it'll have to be put on dollies and towed to the dealer, can't even put it on neutral so it'll be a nightmare and I hate letting it sit at the Stealership, they've been a nightmare. Cost me a rim and tire two years ago and last year the body shop wanted to keep it over the weekend when they had it for 3 days already, told them I was picking it up wether it was ready or not.... turns out it was ready. Just wanted to joyride obviously so be aware everyone.

Both my 2016 Silverado and Corvette needed their batteries replaced after 7-8 years. Always had the corvette on trickle with factory charger when not in use. I almost was going to replace the AC Delco with an Interstate battery as it has lasted since 2007 for my boat. I think it’s on its last year. I’ll see if it has any life left in the spring before I put it in. Definitely has paid for itself.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Thanks for the reply. My garage is heated (+17C year round) so I can say with certainty that it did not freeze. I'm beginning to suspect that the battery has simply crapped out. I did some checking online and the consensus for how long batteries last in Canada is somewhere between 3 and 5 years with some failing prior to 3 years. I've had batteries last way longer which is why I'm a bit perplexed as to why this one seems to be an issue.

If I have to change it, I'll do it but will not look forward to the task. I recently replaced the battery in my 2014 Stingray as a preemptive measure and found it to be an unpleasant task as it doesn't drop straight in. The Z06 will be harder as it has stage 2 wickers which makes for more of a reach when working from the rear of the car. I'm not that tall and age is taking its toll which makes the job harder for me. I'll keep doing as much of my own work as I can while I'm still able to do it.
For what it’s worth the 1000 amp Crappy Tire battery in my Tundra is on its 11th year of service and you won’t get harsher conditions anywhere than we deal with. I keep it on a battery tender all winter and seldom plug in the battery blanket . Until it drops to-30 or so that is . The OEM Toyota branded one lasted less than three.

The battery in my 2021 Toyota Highlander also quit this year and they wanted $400.00 for a new one !!!!!!! After wrapping my hands around his throat and telling him it was on warranty,
they installed a new one ( just kidding about the hands and throat thing).

• Wow
Reactions: 1st Vette
The battery in my 2021 Toyota Highlander also quit this year and they wanted $400.00 for a new one !!!!!!! After wrapping my hands around his throat and telling him it was on warranty,
they installed a new one ( just kidding about the hands and throat thing).
I hear you. The swine here pulled the same bull regarding mine and wanted about the same and I’m sure they would have charged labour on top had I let them. I left, went to Crappy and bought my current battery for $149 and haven’t been back to the Toyota dealer since. Their loss , twits .