Cadder61

Casual User
Jun 20, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
1975 CORVETTE L82
Okay, so I just finished that wonderful job of replacing the power steering hoses on my 75 - on my back without the benefit of a hoist. Got the lines at the correct angles at the control valve as per service manual and set the pressure line at the same angle as the return on the pump. Checked for clearances at lock to lock, all seems ok. Problem is, the return is a lighter hose than original and at full left turn, the hose forms such a tight bend that it flattens and nearly pinches itself off. Will this cause a problem when driving? Or will there be enough line pressure to keep itself open? Thoughts anyone?

I agree with Taylor, that doesn’t sound right. Would you be able to send us a picture of the lines and the way they’re routed? I’ll post a picture of mine just in case it helps. Sorry, it’s kind of a bad angle, I took it a few years ago and was just trying to capture the valve that I rebuilt.

If you need more pictures from a better angle I can take some tonight.

Attachments

• 528038F4-E10F-4C32-95DA-DABE08960D39.jpeg
    528038F4-E10F-4C32-95DA-DABE08960D39.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
Sorry for the late reply, was away for a couple of days. Thanks for the comments, I will be checking my hose routing again to be sure.. In checking how the new hoses compare to my old ones, the pressure is similar in thickness but the return is considerably thinner walled which I think is the main issue - just doesn't have the thickness to hold a sharper curve and kinks (the pressure does not kink). On both ends, pump and valve, the hoses are static and do not move in relation to each other, so was thinking about zip tying the two hoses together in two or three spots nearer the centers so that the return has to keep the same curve as the pressure. Saw this suggestion on another forum for the same issue but of course no one posted if it actually worked. I'll try lots of clearance checking in-shop before going out on the road and will update the results here...

Last edited:
Think we may have this resolved - pulled the return hose off the pump tube and measured against old one - same length but it just seemed too long. Ended up pushing the return back onto the tube about 1/2 inch further, effectively shortening the hose. Also found I had about a 1/4 turn (or less) twist in the hose, which I was careful to not have when re-installing (that probably made more difference than the hose "shortening"). All is good now and the return hose doesn't kink at end of travel. Adjusted the angle slightly on the pressure hose at the pump for clearance and it seems fine now. 2 small adjustments made a world of difference - some really tight clearances there. (Wife was getting really tired of turning the steering lock to lock while I was underneath adjusting...)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread