Sep 10, 2011
Ottawa Ontario Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2005 base model C6
Province
ON
Hey Guys,
I have an appointment next Saturday to check out a 2005 Coupe with 6k km's. (yes, not a typo) Everything is original, except for the battery. Even the air in the tires is original. :) I do realize that the tires will need to be changed, due to their age.
What things should I be looking for? I was hoping to find a buyers checklist on here, but couldn't. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take it for a full on test drive, as the car is in Eastern Canada, and the weather won't allow for it. I know some of you will say that I should wait until the spring and take it for a proper test drive, but the car won't last for long.
I was provided with the Carproof report, and it comes back clean, showing the 1 owner, and 1 recall done.
Thanks, in advance, for your help,
P

Reactions: turbozig
Welcome to the forum. Interesting find.

Is the car for sale at a regular dealership? Speciality dealership or a private sale?

Can you contact the original owner?

Do you have a trusted mechanic who would look at the car for you?

There is a Corvette Club in eastern Ontario, I will see if I can find a contact name. They may even have knowledge of the car.

Don't panic if the car is sold, there are lots out there. Lead with your head not your heart. Sometime it is tough to get past the shinny bits.

Wish I could offer more help.

Hey Guys,
I have an appointment next Saturday to check out a 2005 Coupe with 6k km's. (yes, not a typo) Everything is original, except for the battery. Even the air in the tires is original. :) I do realize that the tires will need to be changed, due to their age.
What things should I be looking for? I was hoping to find a buyers checklist on here, but couldn't. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take it for a full on test drive, as the car is in Eastern Canada, and the weather won't allow for it. I know some of you will say that I should wait until the spring and take it for a proper test drive, but the car won't last for long.
I was provided with the Carproof report, and it comes back clean, showing the 1 owner, and 1 recall done.
Thanks, in advance, for your help,
P

Welcome Redback. That is an amazing find. If the price is decent and its as described I would jump on that one. Look forward to more details and pictures. Colors, options, history, etc. Cheers!

Welcome redback. All the above comments are to be noted. A friend of mine's neighbor sold his C5 two years ago because he didn't want to fix it. It was a garage queen and was low km's, don't remember how many. The problem is when he car is not used many items deteriorate such as bushings, seals, the gas tank and oil pan. Yes the last two items on this car had pin holes in the tanks from the corrosive oil and gas. Take a careful look at these items and if you can lift the car to look for how these parts have aged. Once you start driving it many of these may have to be replaced but if you have planned for the cost then you will be in good shape. Good luck and Jeffer2013 has a good write up on things to look at in one post in the last couple weeks..

Redback.. congrats on finding this special car.
I agree with rockyPM..there are many parts that may need attending too...
Brakes are another item that may have to be replaced/rebuilt...lines cleaned out.
Other items such as radiator, heater core, anything rubber...seals, belts, bushings may also be bad.
A car left to sit may be worse than one that was driven occasionally.
Has this car been driven recently..?
I found a 1986 Corvette convert recently, same story, one owner...9kms.
Shop quotes were at $8-10K to be able to put it on the road.
If you can do most of the work yourself than it would be less dollars.
Be careful...

Graham

Reactions: ddgermann
Credit to @Jeffer2013 for previously posting this checklist. Obviously not all things will apply but this is a very thorough list. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reprinted without permission! :p

Things to do before arriving at the dealership:

1. Collect all paperwork pertaining to the car’s purchase, including proof of insurance.
2. Have a list of all options ordered and carry it with you!
3. Have a list of items which were to be installed by the dealer and their cost.
4. Have a list of all items to be included in the purchase price and be sure you understand the figures involved and the agreed upon amount due at the time of delivery.
5. Carry smart phone and its’ USB cable, MP3 player, USB stick, SD card as appropriate to check proper operation of jacks. Carry tire pressure gauge and flashlight.

Before the test drive:

1. Do a quick underbody inspection looking for scraping on underside of front bumper and sides. Look for any leaks.
2. Check for all factory installed options (painted calipers, etc,) as well as dealer installed options (custom floor mats, etc.).
3. Inspect exterior for fit and finish. Check VIN.
Check paint for excessive orange peel, runs, scratches, touch ups and note location and severity of
defect(s).
Check that the seam gaps on body panels are uniform.
4. If Z51: are the air deflectors mounted on the front lower A-Arms and is rear spoiler present and properly installed?
5. Proper wheels installed and without scratches/scuffs. Tire pressure is correct.
6. Hub caps, badges, lettering present and aligned properly.
7. Hood, doors, gas filler door and hatch open and close properly with proper fit. Doors and gas filler door lock and unlock as intended. Sills are present.
8. Fluids correct and topped off (oil on Z51 should be checked with vehicle level, warmed up and engine off for 5 minutes). Serpentine belt and hoses are in good condition and secured appropriately.
9. All lights operational (DLR, headlights, turn signals and back up). Interior lighting including vanity mirrors.
10. Windshield wipers properly installed without nicks and rubber in new condition. All speeds are present including adjustable intermittent. Windshield washer functions.
11. Window glass clear without streaks or ripples. Power windows operate properly and "index" properly. Side view mirrors are without defects (appearance and functional).
12. Windshield and rear glass are without visual distortion.
13. HUD is functional and all modes are supported. *
14. Interior seams are straight and stitching is even and of proper color. Trim is unblemished and transitions (eg. dash to door) align properly.
15. Seats are as specified and emblems are present (LT2 & LT3).
16. Driver and passenger seat adjustments function properly (manual and power).
17. Steering wheel is "round" and all buttons/switches function properly while the wheel is turned. Horn works. Wheel stitching is well done and of proper color.
18. Steering wheel power telescope/retract and up/down work properly.
19. Gauge cluster and center stack display are functional without a undue number of dead (stuck on or off) pixels.
20. Driving mode selector works appropriately.
21. Performance exhaust (if present) functions properly.
22. Gauges work properly...especially check tire pressure monitoring system.
23. Center stack screen raises and lowers smoothly. USB jack behind screen functions.
24. Radio works.
25. Media works from all jacks.
26. Phone can "pair" and works.
27. Parking brake works.
28. Heating, ventilation and cooling work well including passenger controls and sync feature. Front and rear defroster work.
29. Driver and passenger seat heating and ventilation work well, if so equipped.
30. Center console opens and closes well with good fit and finish. Jacks are functional. Console power port opens and closes properly and power is present.
31. Top removes and installs properly with good fit and finish.
32. Top stores properly.
33. Fuel filler door opens properly and locks as designed.
34. Hatch opens remotely to fob, to button push in rear of car and to button push at the dash. Check for paint over spray/under spray around window inside rear hatch.
35. Key in fob(s) will open hatch.
36. All remote fob functions work properly (both fobs) including remote start if auto. transmission present.
37. Check battery for proper installation and that cables are tight.
38. Check mileage and engine hours.
39. Check convertible top for proper operation, fit and finish.
40. Exhaust tips are lined up to your satisfaction

During the test drive:

1. Speed control works properly.
2. MSRC (if equipped) works appropriately.**
3. ELSD (if Z51) works properly. ***
4. Driving mode selector works appropriately. Pay attention to change in ride stiffness (if MSRC is present), exhaust volume and tone (if performance exhaust is present), steering effort-feel and responsiveness.
5. NAV (if present) works properly.
6. Clutch functions well.
7. Manual transmission-all gears engage smoothly. Rev matching is functional and paddles switch on and off.
8. Auto transmission-all gears shift smoothly. Paddles work properly.
9. Brakes stop car evenly and pedal is firm.
10. Steering wheel is centered.
11. Top does not rattle.
12. Engine power is strong and acceleration is brisk without hesitation.
13. All gauges indicate normal volts, oil and coolant temperature, oil pressure, etc.
14. With car in reverse, check for proper operation of rear view camera

Before taking delivery:
Make sure the price is correct. ALL concerns/defects have been addressed to YOUR satisfaction.
You have received all documentation (window sticker, all manuals, brochures, etc,) and accessories (eg. rotor cooling rings if Z51).

After taking delivery:

Stop reading this list, enjoy the ride and save the wave!!! Along the way, don’t forget the obligatory post delivery post WITH PICS

Reactions: redback
With that little use, it's unlikely to have any of these things wrong with it, but here are some common C6 issues to look for:
-Sunvisor mirror covers are intact
-Tint (if applicable) isn't bubbled - C6s are notoriously difficult to tint the hatch glass
-All dash lights work (including the ones that go up each side of the instrument panel)
-Windows go up/down without squeaking
-Driver's memory seat works. Lots of them stop remembering...
-Window switches work on both doors
-Faded 'Corvette' badges. May let you know if it was stored outdoors. My car the badges started to fade after ~10 years, and I'd say it was outside about 1/8th of its life. (Which is shoddy on GM's part)

One thing to remeber about the first year of the C6 generation is that when you stop the car the manuals must be placed in reverse and the parking brake applied. This will allow the cars electronics to shut down. If you don't I will kill the battery quickly. Ask me how I know. Other than that great car.

Welcome. Great find there.
I have to agree with Graham.

If you love the car heartwise... be prepared to drop 10k into it to make it as new as the odometer providing the engine and driveline are not an issue. That is easy to determine but in my experience with engines. Main bearings could be an issue if an engine is not rotated periodically over a long time of not running. Soft metals in the bearings will allow the cranks shaft and connecting rods to actually press the shells out of shape from gravity. Simply due to no load being applied to the entire circumference of the bearing assemblies. Ya... worst case scenario but should be considered.

Obviously rodent infestation would be a instant deal breaker. Well for me anyway.

4 options:

1 - gather all the information you can on what will be expected to deteriorate over this amount of time. And check / change the parts yourself. $

2- gather the information and take it to your favorite shop and let them look the car over. Then compare the findings to your list. Maybe they overlooked something... or maybe you did. Go from there $$

3- same as 2 but at a dealership. Depending on the expertise and a cost of service in these places may or may not be desirable. The up side is they will stand behind the work as a GM certified establishment. $$ or $$$.

4- do both 2 and 3 for evaluating the car and decide which you prefer and are comfortable with. $ or $$ or $$$

This all depends on what you pay for the car initially as to if it worth it. The virtually no mileage on the car is a very attractive selling and buying point but the seller must bear in mind the cost of the above. The only time this would not be relevant is a special serial number of very limited build car.

Always remember when shops (all shops) see “Corvette” they see $$$$$$$. So be ready to call them out on things as you will need to.

Food for thought and I am fully aware of how it feels to get excited about an opportunity like this and lose focus. Guilty of it more than once and spent the $$$ to deal with the consequences. In the end happy every time but own things that I couldn’t recover half of what I put in.
There will be plenty of people who will criticize your decision but as long as you end up happy.... nothing else really matters.
These people likely do not know what it feels like to drive a Corvette.

Or a Hummer. :Biggrin:

Good luck

Derek.

One thing to remeber about the first year of the C6 generation is that when you stop the car the manuals must be placed in reverse and the parking brake applied. This will allow the cars electronics to shut down. If you don't I will kill the battery quickly. Ask me how I know. Other than that great car.
Oh? Do tell please!!

Reactions: YFCvii
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.