Feb 21, 2009
Edmonton, AB
VetteCoins
Car
2016 Z51 Coupe
FOR THOSE THINKING OF PORTING

From what I know porting the LS6 intake is good for 10 rwhp and 9 rwtq - stock. Porting the LS6 isn't a bad thing, every little bit helps. Would I do it? - Hell ya!!

The reason for porting is to compensate for the air leaks which are inherent with the "Lost Core" manufacturing process, (this is the manufacturing process which produces the one piece manifold design). It is hard to repair for this defect without risking further damage or complete failure to the manifold. Rather than try and risk sealing the unit up for these leaks, porting elevates the power potential by increasing the air flow that is naturally lost.

If you have ported heads, high lift cam and good after market exhaust the power level for a ported manifold can increase to as much as 20 hp with these additional goodies.

Where did you find this information? I am by no means an expert, but unless you are running a blower, or turbo, the intake manifold is under vacuum and these leaks would be allowing more air into your engine (although your fuel ratio will be off as this air is not metered by your MAF). I thought the reason to port the intake (and heads) is to 'match' the flow of each runners to each cylinder so the power is maximized and consistent between cylinders. Plus, porting also reduces the restriction in the intake allowing (in most applications) more air into the cylinder. There is a whole bunch of info I can't recall about information such as needing to maintain the air velocity in the runners to properly fill the cylinder, so you do not want to go nuts on a stock engine.
I can't really back up this info, so we may need someone like Manny to offer his knowledge.

I just want to know where you found this info so I can read it and learn a little more about our cars.:coolgleam:

I have A FAST 92mm That I port match with my heads and I read on another fourm that it was good for a whopping 1 hp! but being a FAST you wouldnt pick up much because its allready a much beter flowing intake.... but I did it anyways. Anything helps!!!

Found it! Or something like it....It looks like leaks affect LS2 intakes as they are three piece intakes, not the LS6 or LS1 intakes. LS1GTO.com Forums - LS2 Intake vs LS1/LS6/FAST 78/90 Intakes

"After conducting numerous tests on our Superflow 600 flow bench to benchmark the LS6, LS2, and aftermarket manifolds, it was determined that the one fatal flaw of the LS2 design was that it allowed a minuscule amount of air to leak internally past the welds," says Incaudo. "As the combined head- and intake-flow requirements increased on modified engines, the problem was amplified, especially in the upper rpm range."

While it might be tempting to simply seal all of the leaking welds, welding the seams for a leak-free fit is actually quite difficult. Furthermore, the potential for failure when modifying the manifold using polymer-based adhesives is unacceptably high. "Rather than 'repair' the manifold, we developed a porting program that will flow more air, thus raising the power potential to levels typically seen only on high-dollar aftermarket intakes," says Incaudo. "On stock applications we normally see 5-10hp increases, with up to 20 hp available on engines with ported heads, higher-lift cams, and free-flowing exhaust."

I still do not understand how porting a intake with internal leaks makes more power besides lowering the restriction. Having internal leaks just plain ol freaks me out.

I just want to know where you found this info so I can read it and learn a little more about our cars.:coolgleam:

Want to know where my boy? :D

VETTE
CORVETTE FEVER
CORVETTE MAGAZINE
CORVETTE ENTHUSIAST
CORVETTE QUARTERLY
CORVETTE MILESTONES
MOTORTREND
CAR & DRIVER
SPORTS CAR INTERNATIONAL
ROAD & TRACK
CORVETTE MARKET
VETTE VUES MAGAZINE
GM PERFORMANCE CATALOG

Still want more?

SPORTS CAR HISTORY - CORVETTE C5 by PATRICK C. PATERNIE

CHEVY LS1/LS6 PERFORMANCE by CHRISTOPHER P. ENDRES

CORVETTE 50 YEAR HISTORY by LEFFINGWELL & BENFOLD

CORVETTE THUNDER by DAVE FRIEDMAN

CORVETTE BIBLE by MIKE YAGER

Maybe just a bit more.....

CORVETTE FORUM
DIGITAL CORVETTES
SMOKINVETTE FORUM
ZR-1 REGISTRY FORUM
C5 REGISTRY
CORVETTE BLOGGER

& Last but definitely not least.......CANADIANCORVETTE FORUMS.COM:canada:
(The only site that really matters anyhow :coolgleam:).

Great info Brent .

The 2 piece design of the LS2/LS7 tend to be a little less effecient . They have some of the worst cast flashing I have seen inside . I have ported all makes of intakes from LS1 the first one I did to practice on to LS6/2/7 and the FAST's. Any little bit of air flow enhancement helps . No your not going to gain 30RWHP from a port job, but you will gain 5-10RWHP and more as supporting mods increase , i.e portes heads, cam .

[email protected]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread