OK. The Difficult News is now Known … you want a fair replacement. As far as I am aware, most policies have you covered for your purchase value
and not replacement of exact same vehicle.
I had a 2012 total loss and Insurance had to match my vehicle which was about $6000 more than what we paid. We were covered.
Since then, I have been closely asking about replacement value and I find a change to the maximum of purchase price. Should that be the case,
then you should be able to settle for your purchase price, be at no loss with only your out-of-pocket of operating costs of enjoying your Corvette.
Now should you obtain that cash settlement, you are no longer obligated to get exactly what you had even if that is what you want. If a Dealership
is involved in the settlement, they must provide you with what you had for the settlement but they will not be obligated to exact colour spec.
I'd settle for the money versus any shenanigans with a Dealership that is not of your choosing. It was prevalent in my 2012 settlement at which time
I found 5 matching vehicles in Alberta and ended up putting a conditional deposit on all of them.
The insurance company choice of Dealership (which did not have a match) was then gone and I told them to choose the vehicle of the five I found. I had to drive to that Dealership
for delivery as a result - no big deal … and found myself dealing many new vehicles from that Dealership ever since (including two Corvettes).
So today … I would settle for my purchase price and deal my New Corvette - but that is me.
Sorry to hear of the hassle of a complete loss, it will likely not be a simple process unless your can have full control of choice for the New One.
If with a cash settlement, I would also suggest you to consider dealing that new Corvette when Dealerships are not selling them (and store it) …
you may be surprised at your Good Fortune off-season. (My good fortune came in part when very few were buying New Corvettes in areas of Alberta)

Last edited:
It sounds like you will be looked after in the end. Although not very special of your dealership trying to dump a lot car on you.
Looks like a factory ordered 19 for you in the spring. All in all very glad nobody was injured and you will be able to receive a new car.

Reactions: DavidWG and YFCvii
Update on the 2017 Grand Sport saga. Insurance finally got their act together, no sharp dealing just administrative fumbling. They have offered fair replacement value although with a significant reduction from MSRP but that is understandable as new C7s are being discounted everywhere in the Greater Toronto Area now. No mention of buying anything, just a straight cash settlement offer which I accepted. Sent out a request for quotes to 6 dealers and got all six back all with good discounts off MSRP and the best 4 were roughly 10% off MSRP including the current factory inducement on a 2019 of $3650. Low quote came from the salesperson who sold me my last 2 C7s so I was glad of that as he has been good with me in the past. Since I can no longer get a Watkins Glen gray or my very favourite Cyber gray, I ordered the Metallic Silver Grand Sport Coupe 2LT with M7, chrome wheels, red calipers, Navi, Heritage pkg etc. I think the red hash marks on the fenders with the red calipers will be nice with the Blade Silver finish. I'll take delivery in April, something to look forward to all winter. Lots of space in the garage for the snow blower this winter. Hopefully by May I'll be able to update my profile picture, perhaps in the same setting which was the Port Dalhousie waterfront near St. Catharines, ON. Lighting was great for that shot that was taken by an acquaintance who has a side gig as a wedding photographer and now dabbles in cars and motorcycles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.