Nov 5, 2017
Mississauga
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5 Coupe, 6 spd
Before I stored the Vette in November, I replaced the 18 yr old passenger side window motor since it stopped working. It was definitely dead. Switch made the usual contact sound but no motor action. The new motor worked perfect and all was good. I've had the car out and driving for at least a month now and yesterday same thing happened. Dead right side window.
Any thoughts on what's happening here? Too much of a coincidence that another motor is gone. The switches on both doors make a contact sound but no movement. Drivers side works perfect.
No other electrical issues either. Car has 29K kms not that that matters any.

Hmmmm. My GM truck has a dead passenger side window but I narrowed it down to a broken wire. With 29k, I would find it hard to believe it would be a broken wire. My typical response would be to check grounds. Our cars do really weird things if the grounds aren't connecting properly or if the battery voltage isn't right up to tip top shape. However, I have service manuals for my 2000. I'll see if I can find anything in the electrical that would be causing the motors to go. It is odd that two windows would stop working.

Reactions: ron6468
Have you tried applying power directly to the motor...
This will verify if the motor works or it is a wiring issue.
This will check what Riley suggest may be happening.

Good luck.
Graham

I haven’t taken the door panel off yet but for sure that’s the next move. I’ll apply 12v direct to see what’s happening. My battery is almost new and pumping out the voltage and amps no problem. Darn, just as the weather gets better and you need to put down that window 😟. Sort of like finding out the wipers don’t work as soon as it starts raining. Funny how that works 😒

Reactions: nascar03
Everything electrical stopped working on my passenger door last fall. It turned out to be a lose connection with the connector that you can access via the black accordion rubber connector near the door hinges. I couldn't actually get it out, but just squeezing it, and moving it around fixed the problem for now. I suspect my problem will be back because it was such an easy fix. You did say you didn't have any other electrical issues, so this might not be your issue.... but perhaps worth a look. Hope this helps.

I dug out my panel/interior tools this morning (from years ago) and had the door panel off in about 15 minutes. With the ignition on and the window button pushed down, I hit the back of the regulator/motor with a hammer (lightly) and magically the window went down. Obviously a dead spot in the armature. I tested it numerous times and could not get it to not work. I put back the panel, and finally today with the roof off and the windows down enjoyed some serious Vette/sunshine time. The window has been working every time since. Of course I'm waiting for the inevitable rain storm to come when I'm almost certain it will show it's true colours again. Still - saved myself about $350 ....... for now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.