Jan 20, 2018
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Z06 (Z07)
Just wondering if anyone out there has experienced this on their car?
Fully aware this is a well documented issue, particularly on the US forums. Mine is rubbing where the front fender meets the front bumper-both left and right sides, but the driver side seems worse. I noticed a bit of paint peel this weekend--being it's a black car it's very hard to see but it's definitely happening. I can't fit a credit card between the gap which is a sure indication there is a problem which will only become worse.

So yes, I am going to see my dealer about it, but wondering if anyone has been through the process with their dealer and how it was handled?

Note: pics below are of a car from the dealership I purchased my car from. This car was a 2018 GS with 600KM in their showroom--I pointed it out to them and told them I would return if it happened to mine :) Warning Issued!

Attachments

• IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3190.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 83
looks like a poor fitment problem and panel(s) are moving thus the rub. The red one in pic looks to me there is junk in the crack with overspray on it, like maybe this was a hit car and fixed already ?? anyways press your dealer to address the issue as he was made aware of your concerns earlier. Hope other owners here of the same car will chime in and see if they have the same problem.

Reactions: ZZ007
I’m on my 2nd C7 black Z and haven’t had this issue so far. Have been keeping an eye on this when wiping down the car. I too have heard of this but I don’t know anyone locally who’s had the issue.
Interesting you used a credit card to gauge the gap. Hopefully you won’t need it to restore the proper gap.....
Please keep us updated.

Reactions: lupo
I discovered paint peeling in the front fender vent areas at the top and bottom corners. After lengthy research I have determined there is an updated fender vent just released. Every single Z I have looked at has this problem (other than 2019’s as they got the new vent) to some degree. I pulled my vents, dremelled the corners down, touched them up and shimmed them out upon reinstalling and they look great as I await the new vents from GM. Check yours, get it addressed before the fenders need repainting. Pic with white car is the new style vent

Attachments

• 421FB689-8C5E-4950-A600-77168076F0BC.png
    421FB689-8C5E-4950-A600-77168076F0BC.png
    565.1 KB · Views: 38
  • FFCA3A34-9C62-4614-BAD7-2AA5529FC5C8.png
    FFCA3A34-9C62-4614-BAD7-2AA5529FC5C8.png
    567.2 KB · Views: 36
  • D4203665-A3F7-4B62-ABFF-0D44CBA1CA45.jpeg
    D4203665-A3F7-4B62-ABFF-0D44CBA1CA45.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: ddgermann and Nik
I discovered paint peeling in the front fender vent areas at the top and bottom corners. After lengthy research I have determined there is an updated fender vent just released. Every single Z I have looked at has this problem (other than 2019’s as they got the new vent) to some degree. I pulled my vents, dremelled the corners down, touched them up and shimmed them out upon reinstalling and they look great as I await the new vents from GM. Check yours, get it addressed before the fenders need repainting. Pic with white car is the new style vent

I just had my front fender vents changed to carbon fiber on my 17 Z and there was no issues at all on the paint. Not a mark so maybe I got lucky on mine.
What method did you use to remove the passenger side one? It can be a bugger to get out.

B54CF9C0-22AF-48C0-800C-8F03A7382491.jpeg

Added one more as it looks like a mark on the bottom rear corner but it’s just a reflection.
23C71843-215F-440F-AE1E-39EF80687AD1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: flyboy999
well is this the thread for joining the fitment door club and rub. Noticed on passenger side recently with a squeek when opening. Its kind of intermittent, maybe the temperature. GM quality. Looking at the picture you can clearly see gap and its more than a few credit card widths. But was enough to take a small section of paint off down to the primer. Will have the dealer look and touch it up next oil change before hiberation time...........
20180810_203821.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: ddgermann
Pretty decent of the dealership to offer that to you @Vegas1500
I’ve heard good stuff about Northgate and that definitely is offering to do the right thing for a customer.
@lupo did your dealership stand up and cover the repair of the paint damage on yours?
Hey Derek--should have updated this earlier, it appears my fears (at least to this point), were unfounded. The flaking I observed was likely residue from my Xpel treatment. I've had the car under lights and under close inspection I don't see any peel. Yes the gap fitment is tight, but I am going back on what I said about a credit card being able to fit through the panel as it was something I heard but cannot say I necessarily agree with. I was at a car show last week and saw numerous Lambos, Ferraris, other Vettes etc and the panel gap is very tight. Someone mentioned the peel was likely more the result of excess paint gathering on the edges during the drying process for those parts, than it was the gap on fitment. I obviously cant say which it is because I have no idea :).

I can only tell you I have personally seen peel on those panels in the dealership on the car I personally photographed, but after 2500km on my car I thankfully don't see it--at least not yet and hope it stays that way. Watching very closely though, and think forum members should openly communicate on this one if they observe it on their car, I certainly will.

I just had my front fender vents changed to carbon fiber on my 17 Z and there was no issues at all on the paint. Not a mark so maybe I got lucky on mine.
What method did you use to remove the passenger side one? It can be a bugger to get out.

View attachment 19205

Added one more as it looks like a mark on the bottom rear corner but it’s just a reflection.
View attachment 19206
Carbon looks incredible!!

• Happy
Carbon looks incredible!!

Thanks. It’d been a process getting all that stuff changed out but I’m enjoying the look of it. Only 5 more pieces to go... on the outside. 😂
Inside is ongoing too...😱

Really glad to hear your car turned out to be ok. Residue and reflections are a heart stopper sometimes.
Yes agreed we will keep a watchful eye for C7 panel issues and keep everyone posted.

Hope you’re having a great summer.

Reactions: lupo

View attachment 19205

View attachment 19206
I LOVE those carbon fibre side vents!!!! I'm going to have to find me some. Suggestions? I did have a little nick of paint come off near the front passenger side by the headlight. I just took some of the red touch up paint I had lying around for my Viper and filled it in. You can't even see that it was ever there. Adrenaline Red and Torch Red are very similar.

I LOVE those carbon fibre side vents!!!! I'm going to have to find me some. Suggestions? I did have a little nick of paint come off near the front passenger side by the headlight. I just took some of the red touch up paint I had lying around for my Viper and filled it in. You can't even see that it was ever there. Adrenaline Red and Torch Red are very similar.

So you too had a spot chip off in a front panel seam. It’s interesting that this is occurring on modern Corvettes as the fitment of the panels is supposed to be the best to date. The assembly process possibly? As it’s happening to some and not others. Maybe it’s the -40 commutes to your office last winter. Will I see a snowplow on that beautiful red Z this winter? 😂

The carbon fiber for your car can mostly be bought here. This guy is excellent and he will reply to mails and ship to you in days. Very good vendor. Highly recommend to look here first.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e110...ebay.com/ulk/usr/redpandaracing&sojTags=bu=bu

I got my from side vents here. They are the same company as west coast corvette it appears and I got lucky and the vents came in a relatively short time. 6 weeks or something. I’ve since cancelled all the other items on order with them as I was on BO for multiple months on common carbon fibre parts.
http://www.corvetteguys.com/

These guys are the 2nd best I’ve found in the US. They also answer mails and have delivered fairly quickly.
https://www.corvettemods.com/

Stay away from West Coast Corvette. I hear they are good if you are in the US but they treat CAD customers very badly. Well this one at least. 9 months of waiting for a part I finally gave up on and got in less than a week from the eBay guy above.

Pardon the story but I would not want you to go through the crap I had to. Might save you some grief. 😬

D

Reactions: flyboy999
So you too had a spot chip off in a front panel seam. It’s interesting that this is occurring on modern Corvettes as the fitment of the panels is supposed to be the best to date. The assembly process possibly? As it’s happening to some and not others. Maybe it’s the -40 commutes to your office last winter. Will I see a snowplow on that beautiful red Z this winter? 😂

The carbon fiber for your car can mostly be bought here. This guy is excellent and he will reply to mails and ship to you in days. Very good vendor. Highly recommend to look here first.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m44.l1181/7?euid=c99e671986af452991e4611cedef17a9&bu=44599406173&loc=http://www.ebay.com/ulk/usr/redpandaracing&sojTags=bu=bu

I got my from side vents here. They are the same company as west coast corvette it appears and I got lucky and the vents came in a relatively short time. 6 weeks or something. I’ve since cancelled all the other items on order with them as I was on BO for multiple months on common carbon fibre parts.
Corvette Parts & Performance

These guys are the 2nd best I’ve found in the US. They also answer mails and have delivered fairly quickly.
Corvette Parts and Accessories - CorvetteMods.com

Stay away from West Coast Corvette. I hear they are good if you are in the US but they treat CAD customers very badly. Well this one at least. 9 months of waiting for a part I finally gave up on and got in less than a week from the eBay guy above.

Pardon the story but I would not want you to go through the crap I had to. Might save you some grief. 😬

D
Thanx for the info. They look fantastic. A very nice touch to go with the side skirts. As far as the paint chip, it could have been from the cold, a rock, or anything else for that matter. Overall the paint on the car is excellent. I attribute it to use, not a manufacturing defect. Cheers. BTW..........she still looks amazing............despite my "abuse".......LOL...........
20171205_170951[1].jpg

20180806_095718[1].jpg

Last edited:
Had the same paint peel issue with my car. Drove it all summer in the Okanogan then took it to the dealer to have the front and rear bumpers removed and repainted. The car is now at ZR Auto in Calgary getting the full ceramic coating.Looking forward to getting it back.

• Useful
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.