Aug 29, 2011
Taylor, British Columbia
VetteCoins
Car
1985 5.7L Targa top
Hello to all!!!
Long time lover of corvettes, first time owner. Car doesn't run, targa top is cracked, tranny is shot and the interior stinks too :) i'm so happy to own a corvette. the number one thing on my list of achievements that i wrote when i was a kid was owning a corvette some day! now its happened! sure its the poor mans corvette, but i still love it. the the symbol, the looks you get when you drive by someone. heck. i had people eyeing it up when it was on the car trailer.

i look forward to reading the posts and learning all the tricks of finding parts and contacts who also love corvettes like i do. i feel like i've joined the country club :)

tigerdog35:canada:

Welcome. I have always found much enjoyment in restoring something back to its former glory. And the beauty of your project is you get to enjoy the fruits of your labour afterwards. Keep us posted on the progress and don't be afraid to ask when you need a little inspiration to keep going, the prize is well worth it.

Thx for warm welcome

Thx alot. i was surprised by the welcome.

i'll try to answer some questions and sorry if i missed any.
yes, i live far to the north. Mile 36 on the Alaska Hwy.

Right now i'm trying to re-organize the shop so i can bring the car in the one side and do the engine/ tranny on the other side. lots of moving tool and boxes...

i'm trying to price out parts from difference sources. the targa top and interior will be at the top of the list. i think i'll just recover the 6way seats myself. new tires cause they're shot. would really like to find a nice set of rims.

On the good side, the body is ding free and straight. doors allign good and there is no sag. brakes have minimal wear.

but realisticly i won't really know much til i get her off the car trailer and into the shop. my profile pic is my only pic of the car so far but more will follow

Tigerdog35

If you want some cheaper, very nice wheels, I suggest looking for used C5 wheels as people are always upgrading their wheels on newer Corvettes then selling their old ones for much less than what you normally find new. With that said, I would do a little investigation into the fit, but I have seen C5 wheels on C4's and think it looks great! I'm not sure if they had to use spacers or not.

Unfortunately the offset for the early C4's (84-87) is different than later corvettes requiring the use of spacers. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of such practice as it puts alot of extra stress on the studs. I believe that the offset for an '85 should be 38mm and the offset for C5's is 56mm. Just a little info from past experience.

Unfortunately the offset for the early C4's (84-87) is different than later corvettes requiring the use of spacers. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of such practice as it puts alot of extra stress on the studs. I believe that the offset for an '85 should be 38mm and the offset for C5's is 56mm. Just a little info from past experience.

Is that 3/4" that important provided there are no clearance issues?

Just asking and wondering just how important offset duplication is. (taking into account clearances, and looks)

TNX
C.

Well, there was a guy at cruise weekend who owned a '93 convertible with the C5 magnesium wheels. I think it looked great but you could tell the wheels were in just a bit. It wasn't super obvious but use of spacers could maybe have improved the look.

You may be thinking of backspacing at 5-3/4" not offset. 56mm is 2.20" from the center line of the wheel, I do not know what the back spacing is supposed to be on those wheels.

A friends kid bought it to restore, tore it apart and then wanted to go to school. sold it to his employer to pay for school. while kid is at school meets a girl and gets married. doesn't want the corvette any more! i had an older arctic cat 300 4x4 quad and i asked if he'd like to trade me!

i doubt i'd be doing any modifications to the body so i wouldn't consider the rims if the 3/4 of an inch would make the wheels rub. besides that i think i wouldn't mind the 3/4" too much. has there been issues with the offsets breaking? i doubht i'd be drag racing but high speed cornering up to 140 is a possiblity next summer :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.