I was still sort of confused about what temperature I can drive in before tire damage occurs, so I googled it for the Michelin Super Sport Tires. Here’s what Mr. Google said.

This tire has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F) and it is recommended that suitable winter tires be fitted below this temperature. Avoid driving, moving, or test-drivingCorvettes equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires below -7°C (20°F) as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.Aug 2, 2016

Does this seem accurate to you all? I don’t want to park her until I have to, so the more use I get out of it, the happier I will be. We have friends coming over for dinner Saturday, and might want a wee ride, but the high is only supposed to be around +5 degrees.
Dale.

This time of year the ground is warm. That will radiate upward to the asphalt and keep it warmer than the air until we start getting below zero temps regularly. At 5 degrees (+/-) the tires will be cold at first, don't be punching the throttle too hard or try pulling too many g's on the corners. Drive like my mother would have until the tires warm up a bit (and it won't take long) and you will be fine. If you do have to show off a bit, do it in a straight line and experiment slowly to gauge where it wants to break those rear tires loose. You're not driving a 650 hp Z06. They will break loose a lot easier but still are more than driveable at cooler temps if you're careful. It won't hurt the tires until you get down well below zero and they freeze.

I would not drive a car with summer-only tires when temperatures are below 7C, especially on cloudy days.

Last year, I delivered a Z06 to a customer about 1.5 hours away, mostly taking backroads (because the highways were backed up). The tires had so little grip, I might as well been driving on ice. Anything more than feathering the throttle made he back tires kick out and traction control kick in.

It wasn't a fun drive.

Wow I often drive in 1 or 3C to meet up for 10 - 15 C fall runs. 335 ZP Pilot Super Sports on the car. Had the Sport Cups 2s removed before I picked up the car new.
Takes a few minutes to warm them up a bit but it’s far from like driving on ice.
Many of us do these low temperature fall drives every year.
Think you were just a bit nervous with a customers new Z. Which I would appreciate.
It’s takes literally seconds to get a feel for the car at the lower temperatures and after a few minutes they are plenty sticky for sensible drives.

Wow I often drive in 1 or 3C to meet up for 10 - 15 C fall runs. 335 ZP Pilot Super Sports on the car. Had the Sport Cups 2s removed before I picked up the car new.
Takes a few minutes to warm them up a bit but it’s far from like driving on ice.
Many of us do these low temperature fall drives every year.
Think you were just a bit nervous with a customers new Z. Which I would appreciate.
It’s takes literally seconds to get a feel for the car at the lower temperatures and after a few minutes they are plenty sticky for sensible drives.

It could also be that they were brand new tires - still has the manufacturing sheen on them.

My biggest issue was accelerating from lights and stop signs - I learned that while shifting into second, slipping the clutch, the traction control doesn't do its job quite as well. After some quick adjustments to my driving style, I was fine. Still scary as heck.

Edit to add: I never even attempted to push the car to learn the limits of grip. I was only feathering the throttle while leaving lights as well. Now that I have my own car, I do push a little bit at times on public roads. Haven't had a seriously cold day in it yet. Running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 until I see freezing temps int he forecast, then switching to winters like below.

I still wouldn't recommend it. Not saying it can't be done, but the tires would have less than optimal grip in a situation where they really need it - panic braking or emergency maneuvers. They have high performance all-season tires now that can be equipped for sub 7C temp drives, or you can do what one of my customers are doing and get some winter tires.

lHi-kd62tKLLdxpcHc3qCFuPMVAOfoEIljy5uUEcdEtk01CRZk49nIbcdhqnv5vAASka_QUoVmO6clvCjBfmUM9LUnZ4LNmIispxUv_BdPxxmd8F0khJgwnwh1g1d76CGDUnKJ6ObUkIecCjiZuJLweoI1GratLgzTCIMvHCJuZqM2DyT4MMZ8pyvOrGq4ORCf-OEt7CAy3XLE48K8svlweZBz01MtAfI4-iQ6sMCrY9CjXSRfpJOTULJMMk7RaMOKPkNc4hq5KH2ANkNSeLqN2p5q_BoCwYf54yKtceZxXNVp6VIC4KRG6EkyWOi2B9lm_N3SbCvmzKp8jVSxD9iOcxhIoez1eliMf3vyoc1p_noPDckdv4yIm_tao5Ln3H65rDFjiZiP4PKeYv6PkWzbrva-2IHelz0Dt-JxTGs9a2DBAseO7pwNrUguLF37RgV8fmZxuVDDuyYeHkGgf5gafkYAknvCYrIzY86yK72UPSxYaYiHv4czoyiZZbMynia1Hn_HWSOSCPOj6nsYbhNCEBXDQjf7si7R-D3pwVZgOHFoVRjm_7Qsk9O9cvYEEzkm7y_FI-pqP0fuw3vLxsfzLIUwwl9t7oFe_qfMtvwbPdPFwlhSX83w-ynMG9JDx7zsJ-Aj-Zr8CkQbI0utqf_L01C3Be6ej2Z7GjwDdHApygBeEiMs_1TSlO=w708-h944-no

Reactions: LE BARON
It could also be that they were brand new tires - still has the manufacturing sheen on them.

My biggest issue was accellerating from lights and stop signs - I learned that while shifting into second, slipping the clutch, the traction control doesn't do its job quite as well. After some quick adjustments to my driving style, I was fine. Still scary as heck.

I still wouldn't recommend it. Not saying it can't be done, but the tires would have less than optimal grip in a situation where they really need it - panic braking or emergency maneuvers. They have high performance all-season tires now that can be equipped for sub 7C temp drives, or you can do what one of my customers are doing and get some winter tires.

lHi-kd62tKLLdxpcHc3qCFuPMVAOfoEIljy5uUEcdEtk01CRZk49nIbcdhqnv5vAASka_QUoVmO6clvCjBfmUM9LUnZ4LNmIispxUv_BdPxxmd8F0khJgwnwh1g1d76CGDUnKJ6ObUkIecCjiZuJLweoI1GratLgzTCIMvHCJuZqM2DyT4MMZ8pyvOrGq4ORCf-OEt7CAy3XLE48K8svlweZBz01MtAfI4-iQ6sMCrY9CjXSRfpJOTULJMMk7RaMOKPkNc4hq5KH2ANkNSeLqN2p5q_BoCwYf54yKtceZxXNVp6VIC4KRG6EkyWOi2B9lm_N3SbCvmzKp8jVSxD9iOcxhIoez1eliMf3vyoc1p_noPDckdv4yIm_tao5Ln3H65rDFjiZiP4PKeYv6PkWzbrva-2IHelz0Dt-JxTGs9a2DBAseO7pwNrUguLF37RgV8fmZxuVDDuyYeHkGgf5gafkYAknvCYrIzY86yK72UPSxYaYiHv4czoyiZZbMynia1Hn_HWSOSCPOj6nsYbhNCEBXDQjf7si7R-D3pwVZgOHFoVRjm_7Qsk9O9cvYEEzkm7y_FI-pqP0fuw3vLxsfzLIUwwl9t7oFe_qfMtvwbPdPFwlhSX83w-ynMG9JDx7zsJ-Aj-Zr8CkQbI0utqf_L01C3Be6ej2Z7GjwDdHApygBeEiMs_1TSlO=w708-h944-no

Nice looking tires. Never seen these before. I imagine they will sell well.
I won’t be getting them as the car is parked till next summer now. And I’m ok at 2C. Much better at 10 though. 😂

Reactions: LE BARON
Nice looking tires. Never seen these before. I imagine they will sell well.
I won’t be getting them as the car is parked till next summer now. And I’m ok at 2C. Much better at 10 though. 😂

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 - Winter high performance tires. Not as good as Blizzaks or X-Ice Xi3, but fit on the 12" wide rims. I took a closer look - tread isn't as deep and is much stiffer than top end winter tires, but that probably means it won't get ripped to shreds if you decide to have fun on a dry day.

I live near Edmonton alberta. The stock tires are slippery even at 10°! I found a set of arctic alpines to get a bit more fall out of my car.
I also read these tires should not even be stored at -10. I've brought mine in.
I wonder what dealers will do with NOS Corvettes? Being parked all winter. Flat spots? Cracks?
My friend at Eezee motors also says you should bag the tires to keep the juice in them.

Attachments

• 20190915_094810.jpg
    20190915_094810.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 13
IIRC, and I called Michelin about this:

Tires are fine at any temps if no load are on them.

Narrower tires are fine below freezing, as long as they don't move.

Wide tires will crack with load on them at low temps.

Any tire that drops below freezing should be warmed up thoroughly to over 15C before moving them.

Either way, on or off the car, I would keep them in a climate controlled environment if I can.

We had 35 Corvettes here over the winter. 7 Z06, 8 Grand Sport, and the rest were Stingray.

We kept all of the Z06 and Grand Sport inside (it was crowded). Didn't have any issue with them.

The Stingray had to stay outside. We parked them, pulled the batteries out, and didn't move them until we absolutely had to. There was no evidence of damage to the tires. No customers have complained either.

Edited to add: I recognize that we don't experience temps as low as many of you in Alberta. For reference, the lowest temperature we experienced was -24.7C

Reactions: YFCvii
absolutely. if they are off the car and you can get them inside, do it. mounted on the car, should be fine on foam etc.....even in an unheated garage. just like other items that dont do well on concrete (batteries etc....), keep them off the cold concrete in the winter months. on a side note, flat spots will occur even in the summer, so owners of "garage queens" will park on foam (even on a HOIST) year round

Reactions: C7Heaven
A friend at my work who has the Cadillac CTSV has this same issue with his car. He came across the service bulletin and sent it to me. Its kind of long, but thought I should share anyway.
Service Bulletin
File in Section: Bulletin No.: Date:
03 - Suspension 13-03-10-001D August, 2016
Subject: Models:
Attention:
INFORMATION
Information on Tire Cold Weather Cracking
2012-2017 Buick Regal GS
2014-2015 Cadillac CTS Vsport
2016-2017 Cadillac ATS-V, CTS-V
2012-2015 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Z/28
2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2013-2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS with RPO 1LE 2014-2017 Chevrolet Corvette, Corvette Z06 2014-2017 Chevrolet SS
Advise customers of these vehicles that they are equipped with a high performance summer-only tire that will have reduced traction performance at temperatures below approximately 40°F (5°C). GM recommends installing winter tires if driving below these temperatures. Avoid driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high performance summer-only tires below 20°F (−7°C), as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires. This Bulletin also applies to any of the above models that may be Export vehicles.
This Bulletin has been revised to update the Model Years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 13-03-10-001C.
Cold Weather Operation
The vehicles referenced above are all equipped with 3 season performance tires commonly referred to as “Summer Tires.”
The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks (1) in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Refer to the photos below for examples.
Surface cracks are cosmetic and will not result in a loss of air, however special tread and compounds used on these performance tires will cause a decrease in performance in cold climates. Driving with high performance summer tires on snow, ice or cold road surfaces may cause loss of control.
Important: While the cracking will not result in air loss, it is damaging to the tire. Tires that have been used in cold climates and exhibit tread cracks should be discarded.
Tire Surface Cracks
Copyright 2016 General Motors LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Page 2
August, 2016 Bulletin No.: 13-03-10-001D
2014-2015 Cadillac CTS Vsport
The 2014 and 2015 Cadillac CTS Vsport is equipped with 245/40R18 and 275/35R18 Pirelli P-Zero Nero (RPO RKK) ultra-high performance summer tires.
Please advise customers that this vehicle is equipped with an ultra-high performance summer tire that will have reduced traction performance at temperatures below approximately 5°C (40°F). GM recommends installing winter tires if driving below these temperatures.
Avoid driving, moving, or test-driving CTSs equipped with Pirelli P-Zero Nero (RPO RKK) tires below -7°C (20°F) as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.
Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-013: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available replacement winter tires for cold climate operation. Additionally, dealers in the United States may call the GM Tire Program at 877-728-4737 for help with late season tire availability or substitutions.
2012-2015 Camaro Models RPO (ZL1, 1LE or Z28), 2017 Camaro ZL1
The Camaro ZL1 and RPO 1LE vehicles come with 285/35ZR20 and/or 305/35ZR20 Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 D.O.T. approved ultra high performance, track capable summer tires as standard equipment. The Camaro Z/28 is equipped with 305/30ZR19 Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R of similar capabilities.
All of these Camaro models tires are not intended to be driven on snow, ice or road surfaces below -7°C (20°F).
If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7°C (20°F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE. Driving the vehicle, when the temperature is below -7°C (20°F), may result in surface cracks in the tread area of the tire.
Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-013: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available replacement winter tires for cold climate operation.
2014-2017 Corvette, Corvette Z06
The 2014−2017 Corvette is equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP Runflat tires or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP tires. These tires are ultra high performance, track capable summer tires.
This tire has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F) and it is recommended that suitable winter tires be fitted below this temperature.
Avoid driving, moving, or test-driving Corvettes equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires below -7°C (20°F) as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.
Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-013: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available replacement winter tires for cold climate operation.
2014-2017 Chevrolet SS
The 2014−2016 SS is equipped with Bridgestone ultra-high performance summer tires.
This tire has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F) and it is recommended that suitable winter tires be fitted below this temperature.
2012-2017 Buick Regal GS, 2016-2017 Cadillac ATS-V and CTS-V
The 2012-2017 Regal GS, 2016-2017 Cadillac ATS-V and CTS-V are equipped with ultra-high performance summer tires.
Tire Storage
It is recommended that Summer tires are stored indoors at temperatures above -7°C (20°F) when not in use. If the tires have been subjected to -7°C (20°F) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 5°C (40°F) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving a vehicle on which they are installed. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 5°C (40° F). Do not place tires near heaters or heating devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after being stored.

Bulletin No.: 13-03-10-001D August, 2016
Page 3
Customer Information
Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this message.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Edited to add: I recognize that we don't experience temps as low as many of you in Alberta. For reference, the lowest temperature we experienced was -24.7C
[/QUOTE]
The proverbial monkey has trouble in Alberta as well with some parts freezing off. LOL

I drove my Z51 last weekend, temp was at 2C. No issue, just drove a little slower in weather mode. Looks like another week or two then the car goes into hibernation.

It's not recommended to do that, as the tires will lose grip, but it's certainly do-able.

Don't do this when it's -7C though.

• Agree
Reactions: drvette and tyho
I have a 2017 GS with those infamous Michelin CUP2's. I have had no issues in the rain or the cold but you just need to be very careful. Believe it or not they actually perform very well in the rain. Just a note ... I left my home one afternoon and the temp was approx 5C. I got out in the center if an intersection to make a left hand turn, got a break and got on the gas to make the turn. My back end slide out from under me because the tires were still cold. Like someone else stated earlier, give the tires a chance to warm up before getting on the pedal too aggressively. Otherwise I have had no issues with cracking at storage temps of -15C. Next year I will purchase another Michelin but not CUP2's.

I drove mine with CUP2s this fall with the temp going down from -2C to -5C during the ride, no issue with cracking. Just a bit slippery. Be careful with them - by that I mean don't drive like it's a sportscar for the time being - and you'll be fine.

Storagewise, last winter I had my car in an unheated garage and we got temperatures going as low as -45C. Car sat on its tires all winter and did NOT move. No issue. Take note I had the four tires overinflated to 40psi prior to freezing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.