Aug 25, 2019
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
2015 2LT Z51
Province
AB
Hi guys. I was wondering what your thoughts are on how low the temperature can go before it becomes hazardous to the tires to be driven on. The reason I ask is that a few years ago,I was talking to a salesman about a Camaro I was looking at in the showroom on a chilly Edmonton fall day, and he said you wouldn’t be able to drive it on a day like this, as the tires would be damaged due to the low temperature outside. So, when I picked up my C7 on Tuesday, the dealership had a guy go over the car with me and I asked him that same question. He agreed that you should not drive on these tires below about 5 degrees Celsius. Had I not asked, I would not have known this at all, which might have been an issue this fall. Anyway, I figured you fine folks might have info that would be relevant on this issue.
Thanks.
Dale.

Hi guys. I was wondering what your thoughts are on how low the temperature can go before it becomes hazardous to the tires to be driven on. The reason I ask is that a few years ago,I was talking to a salesman about a Camaro I was looking at in the showroom on a chilly Edmonton fall day, and he said you wouldn’t be able to drive it on a day like this, as the tires would be damaged due to the low temperature outside. So, when I picked up my C7 on Tuesday, the dealership had a guy go over the car with me and I asked him that same question. He agreed that you should not drive on these tires below about 5 degrees Celsius. Had I not asked, I would not have known this at all, which might have been an issue this fall. Anyway, I figured you fine folks might have info that would be relevant on this issue.
Thanks.
Dale.

Hi Dle. Your car will have Michilin PSS tires unless someone has swapped them out. They are a soft rubber that are superior in traction to most everything out there but they turn into dinner plates when they get cold. Driving below 7 degrees is not recommended but if you keep your foot out of it and let the tires warm up from driving, they aren't terrible. Much below that I don't drive mine unless I know it's going to warm up some. They also hydroplane easily in the rain. The Cup 2 tires that came on the Z06 and GS are a different matter. They will actully crack when it gets below freezing whether you drive or not. Some of the guys change them out after they are worn for more of an all season tire such as the Michelin AS4.

Thanks guys. I see in the bulletin that it is not recommended driving if the temp is below minus 7. That’s not bad. I was just worried about if it is chilly one morning (but above the freezing point) and I took her out, causing damage. By the time the temperature around here is minus 7, she will be tucked away for hibernation.

Reactions: LE BARON
If you have to drive the car at 5 degrees C or lower it is probably a good idea to put it in "Weather" mode. On a trip back from Arizona this spring the last day we went through Idaho and Montana. As the elevation increased the temperature went down to near freezing and the tire pressure dropped a couple pounds. I kept it in weather mode to be safe and we had no issues as it warmed up once we got through the mountains.

Thanks guys. I see in the bulletin that it is not recommended driving if the temp is below minus 7. That’s not bad. I was just worried about if it is chilly one morning (but above the freezing point) and I took her out, causing damage. By the time the temperature around here is minus 7, she will be tucked away for hibernation.

Dale your tires will have very little to sketchy little traction at 10 - 5C till they warm up so be careful in the first few KMs. You will know what I mean taking off from the first stoplight or sign. Once warmed up they are great especially if temperature rises some. At 13C my tire temperature indicates “orange” or Luke warm all day. Which is fine for traction... but not tracking. 😬

@Rruuff Day and @Dale124 The ZP PSS will crack if moved at temps just below 0. Ask me how I know.... I’ve got a pretty much new set sitting in my garage with cracks all over them. 🤦‍♂️

D

Reactions: Pep
Dale your tires will have very little to sketchy little traction at 10 - 5C till they warm up so be careful in the first few KMs. You will know what I mean taking off from the first stoplight or sign. Once warmed up they are great especially if temperature rises some. At 13C my tire temperature indicates “orange” or Luke warm all day. Which is fine for traction... but not tracking. 😬

@Rruuff Day and @Dale124 The ZP PSS will crack if moved at temps just below 0. Ask me how I know.... I’ve got a pretty much new set sitting in my garage with cracks all over them. 🤦‍♂️

D
I thought it could go down to 25F before the crack issue came in to play. Mine is put away (end October) before any snow is on the ground.
GM does not ship and the dealer should not deliver any cars with Michelin PSS tires because of this.
It does mention the temperature limits in the manual. I read it cover to cover and still learn 🆕 things about the car even after three years.
My local GM dealer received a 2014 car in the winter and all four tires were cracked just from loading and unloading from the transport truck, which is why GM will not deliver any cars to Canadian dealers in the winter

IMHO if you really want to drive it in colder temps, then go get a set of winter tires. Not really a winter car but if you're gonna drive it in cold weather anyway then better safe than sorry. Winter tires will allow you to still have traction and won't chip or crack like summer tires do. If it's just cold then it should be fine to drive....till it snows.

IMHO if you really want to drive it in colder temps, then go get a set of winter tires. Not really a winter car but if you're gonna drive it in cold weather anyway then better safe than sorry. Winter tires will allow you to still have traction and won't chip or crack like summer tires do. If it's just cold then it should be fine to drive....till it snows.

Thanks for that info, but I have no intention of driving in winter-ish conditions, as I plan to tuck her away for the winter by the end of October, if the weather holds out that long. I was just more concerned about those chilly October mornings that might start out below the temp I should be driving at.

Reactions: Pep and ddgermann
Yup. I agree. Park it when it gets cold. If it's cold when I first leave the house, I just take it slow till the tires warm up and the outside temperature rises.

Thanks for that info, but I have no intention of driving in winter-ish conditions, as I plan to tuck her away for the winter by the end of October, if the weather holds out that long. I was just more concerned about those chilly October mornings that might start out below the temp I should be driving at.

Yes Dale my reply was based on exactly this point. The fall mornings you will have to be careful till you warm up your tires. No big deal. It’s not like driving on ice or anything. It won’t take you long and you will have it all figured out.
Eric is right about the wet roads and these tires. Although the Sport Cup 2s are worse the Pilot Super Sports (I have the wider ones on my Z06) need respect in heavier rain or roads with standing water. Slowing down and thoughtful throttle use sorts it out well though.

Have fun.

Yes Dale my reply was based on exactly this point. The fall mornings you will have to be careful till you warm up your tires. No big deal. It’s not like driving on ice or anything. It won’t take you long and you will have it all figured out.
Eric is right about the wet roads and these tires. Although the Sport Cup 2s are worse the Pilot Super Sports (I have the wider ones on my Z06) need respect in heavier rain or roads with standing water. Slowing down and thoughtful throttle use sorts it out well though.

Have fun.
Plus put in to "W"eather mode for added computer control. You still have to be conscious of what you are doing but the computers will actively manage for wet conditions. Make you more confident? Go too fast and you will still hydroplane.

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
Plus put in to "W"eather mode for added computer control. You still have to be conscious of what you are doing but the computers will actively manage for wet conditions. Make you more confident? Go too fast and you will still hydroplane.

Yes you are correct weather mode will certainly help driving around town or accelerating.
Makes me laugh as Spence and I did a full day in heavy rain on the way to Graham’s place last month and I completely forgot about weather mode. 😂.
The car was fine in sport mode as I was respecting the conditions but ya... it lifted a few times hitting the water laying in the low spots in the road. Not a great feeling but manageable at reasonable speeds. It was all forgotten the next day in 34 C sunshine blasting down the Coquihalla. 👍

Yes you are correct weather mode will certainly help driving around town or accelerating.
Makes me laugh as Spence and I did a full day in heavy rain on the way to Graham’s place last month and I completely forgot about weather mode. 😂.
The car was fine in sport mode as I was respecting the conditions but ya... it lifted a few times hitting the water laying in the low spots in the road. Not a great feeling but manageable at reasonable speeds. It was all forgotten the next day in 34 C sunshine blasting down the Coquihalla. 👍
Probably made you want to put the top down. lol

• Agree
Had the top off for a while but my passenger and I got cooked in about 2 hours. 😂
Top went back on.
The trip to MITM was something like that.
Proper hat and ample sunscreen in the glove compartment resolved the problem. Had to apply every now and then as the sun cooked off the previous layer of sunscreen. Great trip. And then it was, I believe, 33C in Winnipeg on the Saturday.

I was still sort of confused about what temperature I can drive in before tire damage occurs, so I googled it for the Michelin Super Sport Tires. Here’s what Mr. Google said.

This tire has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F) and it is recommended that suitable winter tires be fitted below this temperature. Avoid driving, moving, or test-drivingCorvettes equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires below -7°C (20°F) as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.Aug 2, 2016

Does this seem accurate to you all? I don’t want to park her until I have to, so the more use I get out of it, the happier I will be. We have friends coming over for dinner Saturday, and might want a wee ride, but the high is only supposed to be around +5 degrees.
Dale.

I was still sort of confused about what temperature I can drive in before tire damage occurs, so I googled it for the Michelin Super Sport Tires. Here’s what Mr. Google said.

This tire has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F) and it is recommended that suitable winter tires be fitted below this temperature. Avoid driving, moving, or test-drivingCorvettes equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires below -7°C (20°F) as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.Aug 2, 2016

Does this seem accurate to you all? I don’t want to park her until I have to, so the more use I get out of it, the happier I will be. We have friends coming over for dinner Saturday, and might want a wee ride, but the high is only supposed to be around +5 degrees.
Dale.
Plus 5C is not ideal but if you go slow and warm them up you can do some slow cruising. Follow the manufacturers guide lines. I don't like taking her out at 5C but if it just a show the car run about the city I wouldn't see no harm if you do not punch it. Traction won't be the best so be careful

• Agree
I would not drive a car with summer-only tires when temperatures are below 7C, especially on cloudy days.

Last year, I delivered a Z06 to a customer about 1.5 hours away, mostly taking backroads (because the highways were backed up). The tires had so little grip, I might as well been driving on ice. Anything more than feathering the throttle made he back tires kick out and traction control kick in.

It wasn't a fun drive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.