max930

max930

Regular
Oct 16, 2017
vancouver
VetteCoins
Car
I got into an argument over commercial organic farming. The argument they can and do use pesticides in organic commercial farming. A person said no its like my garden and no pesticides are used. Well my parents own a commercial fruit farm. We made organic apple juice for awhile. Just an FYI, organics are 99% bs. Check the USDA rules on certified organic and then think twice about paying the higher prices on American organic products............. Anyone know other "false" marketing and products. post them here.

LOL, my oldest has a degree in agriculture. I should get her on here when she is home in a week or so for Christmas to express her opinion on organic and GMO. It has opened my eyes and changed how I think about food production. It is all emotion and BS marketing with everyone telling half truths.

Reactions: max930
Oh just thought of another and that is know it all geeks. My parents thought about getting into apple cider as in the liquor kind. Parents are friends with a well known wine guy who made fruit wines. He put together a taste test filled with wine geeks. I told our wine guy in private. That we could put a well known high end wine from France on a cheapest wine in the ghetto and they'd praise it as the "best" of that winery if it was the correct year of that brand. Besides geeks, I also dislike snobby experts.

Under the buyer beware category, when I worked in Manning as a research agronomist was an organic farmer who used to buy grain from his non-organic neighbours and then sell it as his own "organic" to get the price premium. Gotta like the honesty of some folks.

Organic farmers can charge a premium due to supply and demand laws. If everything was organic then there would be no premium I'm sure..............

Worked with an organic cattle producer at Rycroft who told me that he tries to be holistic and organic and so forth but if a calf gets sick it is off to his brothers to raid his medication chest. "I'm not going to blow $1500 worth of beef if a needle can make it go away".

I always get a kick out of seeing the organic fruits and veggies in the stores at twice the price and thinking to myself that only the DINKS and OINKS can afford to buy it. They are a marketers dream come true.

But credit to the marketers of "organic". They saw a need through belief and were only too happy to exploit it.

Cheers

Garry

Reactions: ddgermann
Under the buyer beware category, when I worked in Manning as a research agronomist was an organic farmer who used to buy grain from his non-organic neighbours and then sell it as his own "organic" to get the price premium. Gotta like the honesty of some folks.

Organic farmers can charge a premium due to supply and demand laws. If everything was organic then there would be no premium I'm sure..............

Worked with an organic cattle producer at Rycroft who told me that he tries to be holistic and organic and so forth but if a calf gets sick it is off to his brothers to raid his medication chest. "I'm not going to blow $1500 worth of beef if a needle can make it go away".

I always get a kick out of seeing the organic fruits and veggies in the stores at twice the price and thinking to myself that only the DINKS and OINKS can afford to buy it. They are a marketers dream come true.

But credit to the marketers of "organic". They saw a need through belief and were only too happy to exploit it.

Cheers

Garry

If only I thought to stock up on all that fresh produce I ate as a Kid …
as I survived on it .. er wait ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread