So you want a new Corvette?
First thing you need to know is there is a waiting list for the cars at every dealer.
Some dealers receive as many as 100 per year or more and some as few as Zero per year.
Once a month GM awards allocations to dealers. Large dealers receive several allocations a month and small ones relatively few if any.
Because of this you must ascertain certain information from your choice in dealers.
How many corvettes have they received from GM in the last 3 years, by year.
Check this site for your dealer and or a dealer for their historical allocations
2. How many customers are on their list currently and where you stand on their list.
It's also important to note: Some dealers keep seperate lists for the Z06 and Eray and some don't. So ask about the lists for all flavours of C8 and your variation.
Stingray allocations are impacted by production. For example, the more C8 Z06's manufactured (or other versions of the C8, like the E-Ray), the fewer Stingrays made and that reduces Stingray allocations, which can make it difficult for dealers to predict their Stingray allocations. This is not an exact science.
3. Does the dealer sell for MSRP, or MSRP plus some "additional dealer mark-ups (ADM's)" (if so, what are the ADM's?)? (Best practice is to have dealer confirm pricing in writing or send an email confirming any such conversation.) You decide if you're willing to pay any ADM's or try and find a dealer who sells for only MSRP or close to it.

You might also consider asking:
Does the dealer follow the list, by matching received allocations to those at the top of the list or if an allocation is declined by a customer at the top of the list, does the dealer offer it to people next on the list? (ie. the dealer doesn't take allocations for itself and sell for over MSRP).
5. Does a salesman or other designated individual in the dealership, respond in a reasonable time, to customer enquiries about the status of the customer on the Stingray list, or provide periodic updates upon request, once an allocation has been received and GM has assigned an order number? Note: the "order number" is a 6 digit Alphanumeric code.

Once you decide on a dealer you will only be price protected if you pay a deposit and fill out a purchase agreement which is only valid for that model year (MY).
Some dealers will enter your order into the GM ordering software known as "Workbench" and give you an order number and some will not. If you receive an order number your status code will be 1100. *See Status codes below
This only really matters to you. I believe GM scans this information so they know how many orders they can expect to fill, but I have no proof other than I think they'd be foolish not to.
With the order number you can contact the Chevrolet concierge to get some information about your order, but your dealer is the only good source of information about your order (see #5 above) .

You might also want to consider getting on multiple dealer lists, to minimize your wait time. You'll enjoy being behind the wheel that much sooner, making these additional efforts worthwhile. Many have also purchased vehicles out of province and either made the trip to pick them up or had them trailered. Many also check this c8tracker website to see what dealers have received Corvettes and how many. Make sure up front, that any deposits paid to a dealer, are refundable before an allocation is assigned and order made. Then choose the dealer who gets you an allocation the fastest, thereafter cancelling your spot on all other dealer lists and getting deposits refunded. Or if you're loyal to your local dealer and want to be on only one list, recognize you may be in for a longer wait.
Beware: Dealers are still not allowed to order C8's for stock. They can order for the owner or a salesperson, but they have to keep it for a year. They can keep a car if the original purchaser walks away from the order and sell it for whatever price they want over MSRP. Also, you may see cars for sale at MSRP on Autotrader or dealer websites but these are customer cars yet to be picked up by the customer. These cars automatically show up as stock on websites, but aren't.

PIck your options. Make sure your dealer knows that you might be willing to accept other colours or options depending on the constraints at the time of your allocation.
You may not want to wait because the brake calipers can't be yellow for example. See constraints below. Make sure he talks to you first, if it's your turn, because it's YOUR decision, not his!
Some dealers won't even discuss options until the allocation arrives and some will allow you to give him changes any time and some are in the middle. It's best to be certain even before discussing options with them.
Warning!: Make absolutely sure your configuration is the way you want it before your dealer assigns an allocation to your order because once matched and Chevrolet accepts your order (Status 2000), it's virtually impossible to change it.
It's important to note that the National Corvette Museum offers a photo album of your car being built, but Canadians can NOT do the Museum delivery.

Next you wait for the dealer to receive an allocation he can match to your order. This process can be a complicated one because GM can allocate a Stingray, Stingray HTC (convertible), a Z06, A Z06 HTC, etc.. It is also complicated by constraints in a given period. Dealers are told of constraints before allocations are assigned.
For example: If You are next on the Stingray list and you want a Stingray coupe, but the dealer has only been allocated a Stingray HTC, he may ask you if you want the HTC or wait for a coupe. You would then either take the HTC allocation or pass on it and it would be offered to the next buyer on the list.
Another example would be you want a Z51 but the Z51 is on constraint. So again you could take the car without the Z51 or pass on it and it would be offered to the next on the list.
* A constraint can mean none is available or none was offered to that dealer. Dealer A may be offered none where Dealer B is offered 1 Z51 because only 10 Z51's were available nationally.

Once your order has received an allocation your status code moves to 2000 and the wait begins. Take this opportunity to download the manuals and familiarize yourself with your car.

ORDER STATUS CODES
Code Description
1100 Order Placed at Dealership - status order requests by dealers
2000 Order Accepted by Chevrolet
2500 Order Preferenced (or “Picked Up” or “Imaged”)
3000 Order Accepted by Production Control
3100 Order Available to be Sequenced
3300 Order Scheduled for Production
3400 Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Order Produced)
3800 Vehicle Produced
4000 Vehicle Available to Ship
4104 Bailment Invoice Created
4B00 ORDER BAYED; VEHICLE IS WAITING ON TRANSPORTATION OR PULLED FOR QUALITY CONTROL
4106 Bailment Released
4150 Vehicle Invoiced
4200 Vehicle Shipped from Bowling Green
4300 Intermediate Delivery
4800 Rail Ramp Unload
5000 Vehicle at Dealer - Awaiting Prep
6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer

The time between status codes varies, usually because of parts supply issues or the Bowling Green Assembly plant (BGAP) efficiency.
I.E. They don't build 2 Z06's one after the other etc.

2000 to 3000 goes relatively quickly as soon as 1 day
3000 to 3100 can take as much as 8 to 10 weeks because all the parts have to be in the building before it can advance.
at 3100 some can see a TPW (Tentative or Target Production Week), but at this point that date is very fluid
3100 to 3400 is usually between 6 to 10 days
at 3400 your TPW is stable and can only change by plant efficiency. Your partial vin is available from your dealer. When your dealer does a "Vehicle Order Inquiry" on your order and scrolls all the way to the right he can click on "Vin Incentive Lookup" and give you your vin. Once you have your vin there are spreadsheets maintained by individuals on the Internet that shows the exact day and estimated hour your car will be built.
3400 to 3800 can take as few as 1 day or 7 days again depending on plant efficiency.
3800 to 4000 (or 4B00) takes only a day or 2 depending on quality control issues. If you car is flagged for Quality Control it can be held for days or months depending on the issue. Individual QC holds are very rare, but can happen. The shipper has 10 days to remove the car from BGAP.
4200 to 6000 can take up to a month depending on the destination. Southern Ontario receives cars in days, but B.C. or N.S. can take a lot longer depending on the shipping method and shipping logistics. Your dealer has tools in Workbench to track your car and there is an estimated arrival time to the dealer.

Once your car arrives at the dealer it must go through a 32 point inspection and some parts assembly. This can take several days depending on the resources at your dealer. Your salesperson will show you your car. Inspect it well here because if there are ANY issues you want to point then out at this point. It will make it much easier to get it fixed. Once you're satisfied the Salesperson will take you to the Sales manager to sign the actual purchase agreement and will try to sell you on the extended warranty and PPF and / or Ceramic coating. You have until your standard warranty expires to get the extended warranty so you take your time with that. Once you give them your bank draft or sign financing etc. your Salesperson will walk you through some basic features and force you to listen to OnStar's sales pitch. Then the car is yours! If you ordered a 2LT or 3LT make sure you take a memory card with you to enable the PDR recording. Several of us have had success with this card. Also make sure you enable the audio recording or you won't get your voice yelling WOWWWWEEEEE as you accelerate!

Note: GM offers a discount of almost 75% off the cost of the Ron Fellows Corvette Owners School in Spring Mountain. The cost of the school is $3695.00 or $1000.00 with the new owner discount. This is a highly rated experience and recommended by all who have gone. The certificate comes with the Corvette welcome gift. The gift many times takes a year or 2 to arrive, so plan for the summer after you pick up your car and contact the school early. They will confirm your eligibility.

Note: For 2023 and up the first DCT filter change is free, though many dealers don't know it. Attached is the letter from GM Canada to all dealers stating it.

Good luck with your Corvette order! May the force be with you!

Attachments

• 73226-d591a8742a2f98692378bdb90d962bf2.data.pdf
    405.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Corvette 101 is an excellent article. Anyone really wanting a corvette should print it out and read it often. Wish I would have seen it 2 years ago. I was on 3 lists for 2 years now with not much possibility of a car for another year. One dealer maybe never since he keeps telling me he hasn't gotten any allocations each time I call. According to C8 tracker he got 6 and I was 7 on the list and still am. If you really want a C8 and have the time to do the research it can be done. Two weeks ago I did many of the things that are on the new Corvette 101 list. One of the other thing you need to do is use the C8 tracker to see which dealer gets the cars. Also do not be afraid to go out of Province and don't be afraid to call small dealers. Within 2 weeks I was offered 2 cars and could be next on a small dealers list. As of yesterday my car is at 3000 status. Hopefully I will get my car before the end of the summer. Only paid MSRP plus Doc fee.
Good luck for everyone looking to get a car.

Corvette 101 is an excellent article. Anyone really wanting a corvette should print it out and read it often. Wish I would have seen it 2 years ago. I was on 3 lists for 2 years now with not much possibility of a car for another year. One dealer maybe never since he keeps telling me he hasn't gotten any allocations each time I call. According to C8 tracker he got 6 and I was 7 on the list and still am. If you really want a C8 and have the time to do the research it can be done. Two weeks ago I did many of the things that are on the new Corvette 101 list. One of the other thing you need to do is use the C8 tracker to see which dealer gets the cars. Also do not be afraid to go out of Province and don't be afraid to call small dealers. Within 2 weeks I was offered 2 cars and could be next on a small dealers list. As of yesterday my car is at 3000 status. Hopefully I will get my car before the end of the summer. Only paid MSRP plus Doc fee.
Good luck for everyone looking to get a car.
are you status 3000 with Preston (Langley, BC)? should i remove you from our Official List of who is on the list?

I bought my 2020 C8 from a dealer 3 hours away and they had no problem sending me all the documentation by email, in advance.
Did you not sign a purchase agreement when you had an allocation?
Brian Cullen took, my deposit by Visa and sent me papers acknowledging it. When I got an allocation (or was close) I went there and signed a purchase agreement. When I went to pick it up they wanted to do another one stating it was paid etc.
There clearly is different methods with different dealers.

Reactions: Vettenut
By the "advertising game" I assume you're referring to the C8's that show up on dealer's webpages, supposedly "for sale", then when you call you're told they're already sold or earmarked for specific people on their list? If so, yes that's frustrating. Most dealers' webpages automatically populate the information showing a vehicle they'll be getting, even when it'll never be for sale. I suppose they see this as a sales advantage, since it has people calling their dealership and one of the first rules in sales is to "get the buyer in the door". However it's a major turn-off when people realize they've been "misinformed" by taking what's on the webpage at face value. I called several dealers initially for that reason, when first looking for a C8, only to be told I was SOL.
Hmmm, interesting comment. I've inquired about a couple of those "gently used" cars I've seen in searches, that are for sale on dealer websites. I think they're either orders that were declined on, or shortly after delivery, or as "bait" to get foot traffic in the door.
It's a business, after all, and sales are what keep the dealers going. Some may choose to use questionable tactics to stay in business, but that's when "e caveat emptor" is supposed to kick in for buyers.
Politicians, lawyers, and car salesmen?

I filled out an order sheet with my salesperson, at my local dealership, from my BYO build on the Chevrolet website. I had sent it to them months ago.
Signed, and deposit paid.
I met the "money lady" and initialed the sheets with the cashier, and signed again, agreeing to pony up the balance when the car shows up.
This is how my process has progressed to date.
p.s. My dealer reduced the "Dealer Fees" from $699 on the build sheet, to $299 IIRC. He said he didn't know why GM charges so much for the paperwork.
Not a huge discount, but maybe a couple of tanks of Premium, when the car shows up. Or not?
Please feel free to move this post out of the template you're building.
I guess, after having reread this entire thread, my current status is "1100 Order Placed at Dealership - status order requests by dealers".
I asked about it yesterday, and the reply was "we're waiting for an allotment for your spot, blah, blah, there's no specific science for when we get one, blah, blah, each month is not accurate, blah, blah, but you could be next, blah, blah, when it comes in I'll let you know right away".
So, we continue waiting.
I'm beginning to wonder if I might prefer a 2024 anyway, if it comes to that, and I'm already looking at vids to compare and contrast the '23 and the '24.
I'm not seeing too many show stoppers in the 2024, and there aren't too many glaring negatives, that I can see. I can handle a reasonable price increase.
I do like that they are developing a clear engine cover for the HTC models in '24. The rest is mostly safety stuff, except for the new soft close frunk.

What an excellent post.

Here is one thing all should be aware of .... Once you get that call that your allocation is up and they require you to come in and actually place the order for build ...

Make sure 10000000000% that you order the exact car you want ... if your on the fence about a certain option ....its a no brainer ....get it

If you change your mind about even the littlest thing the dealer may not be able to change it or like in my case they just WONT .

After my order was in like litterally 2 hours after he submitted it I called to ASK if I could make the order a 3LT as opposed to a 2LT ... The sales manager actually got noticably upset and his exact words were " that would mean I have to submit the entire order again " well buddy sorry for asking you to do your job and exact some excellent customer service.... hey after all you've already made the sale who cares .

He could have easily changed the order but was just too lazy . It was not like I asked this 2 days later It was not even 2 HOURS after he submitted it.

In the end Im more than happy with the 2LT and the extra 7 grand in my pocket

I could say so much more about the higher ups in the new car sales team but i wont . %^%#$&*%$@#%$@#$!@#$^@**&^*^()()_+(^)^$%$@#$@

Just order the exact car you want
I changed my order, at least 4 to 5 times and my salesman never complained once. They changed my order once, Z51 and I do not regret that extra package, even though it pushed me passed 100 grands. These guys go hours on end with not much to do, so what was his problem? Anyway I am glad you are happy with what you got, I know I am ecstatic about this car.

Reactions: MKinOntario
I changed my order, at least 4 to 5 times and my salesman never complained once. They changed my order once, Z51 and I do not regret that extra package, even though it pushed me passed 100 grands. These guys go hours on end with not much to do, so what was his problem? Anyway I am glad you are happy with what you got, I know I am ecstatic about this car.
Change it all you want before it gets an allocation. No need to tell the salesman anyway. Just make sure when the allocation arrives he has it correct the way one wants. That is when it matters. After that good luck getting it changed. Once GM accepts the order it's virtually impossible to change it.

Change it all you want before it gets an allocation. No need to tell the salesman anyway. Just make sure when the allocation arrives he has it correct the way one wants. That is when it matters. After that good luck getting it changed. Once GM accepts the order it's virtually impossible to change it.
I got 34 months wait , for my allocation , so I had plenty of time to make changes. ;) I can laugh about it now but it was not a fun 34 months.:Arghh:

I've had Michelin tires before many times, but never on a supercar.
Are they stickier in the heat, is the rubber compound more dense, what is most noticeable about them?
Can you evade police "stop sticks" with the "run flats"? :cool:
Would you like to make a new thread on tires? I can move this stuff to it.

Hi folks

Since I am new to the Corvette world, I am trying to get some perspective on other peoples experience with the whole process of ordering and purchasing a Corvette. I’ve been with Leggat Burlington since March 2022. as of April 2023 they finally took my deposit and entered my order into GM’s workbench.

What I find confusing is you guys are always talking about where everyone is on different dealer lists but I come to find out today that Leggat doesn’t have a list they just enter customer orders into workbench and let GM decide which vehicles they want to build. So you can be sitting at 1100 status for a year and not have your vehicle built but someone can come in and have their vehicle built within months just because GM picks it out of a pool. When I ask my sales guy about a list he told me that this is how GM does it And there are no lists. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi folks

Since I am new to the Corvette world, I am trying to get some perspective on other peoples experience with the whole process of ordering and purchasing a Corvette. I’ve been with Leggat Burlington since March 2022. as of April 2023 they finally took my deposit and entered my order into GM’s workbench.

What I find confusing is you guys are always talking about where everyone is on different dealer lists but I come to find out today that Leggat doesn’t have a list they just enter customer orders into workbench and let GM decide which vehicles they want to build. So you can be sitting at 1100 status for a year and not have your vehicle built but someone can come in and have their vehicle built within months just because GM picks it out of a pool. When I ask my sales guy about a list he told me that this is how GM does it And there are no lists. Has anyone else experienced this?
My dealership has a list.

Hi folks

Sounds like they are lying to you

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
I asked my dealer/salesman about my "status" late Friday, considering the preliminary order had been submitted to Workbench, and the June 8 allocations, and June 15 constraint dates have both passed, without any news of my order being "picked up".
He said he'd "be in touch when there's an update".
FWIW. (sweet deck all?)

I asked my dealer/salesman about my "status" late Friday, considering the preliminary order had been submitted to Workbench, and the June 8 allocations, and June 15 constraint dates have both passed, without any news of my order being "picked up".
He said he'd "be in touch when there's an update".
FWIW. (sweet deck all?)
Do you remember when you 1st joined, asked us where you should place your order, and we told you…. Well you decided to go somewhere else.

So now, unfortunately you are at the mercy of your dealer which you haven’t told us the name of.

Do you remember when you 1st joined, asked us where you should place your order, and we told you…. Well you decided to go somewhere else.

So now, unfortunately you are at the mercy of your dealer which you haven’t told us the name of.
I'm in Sarnia. We only have one dealer. Maybe that helps?
Not complaining, just adding another perspective to the topic.
Honestly, I don't think ordering at the WN or Cullens of the province would have helped much.