Shayne

Regular
You're a Regular 2 You're 10 Completionist Award
Dec 1, 2010
VetteCoins
a co-worker claims he had an optima/dry cell battery in his car and that when he used a battery charger on it, it ruined the battery. has anyone else heard of this? if true how/can a person use a battery tender on this style of battery? thanks for the info.

a co-worker claims he had an optima/dry cell battery in his car and that when he used a battery charger on it, it ruined the battery. has anyone else heard of this? if true how/can a person use a battery tender on this style of battery? thanks for the info.

If its a old style trickle charger , yes that can happen to any battery . However with todays smart chargers that shut off on a full charge , I have never heard of that happening to the Optima batteries.

I killed my battery stone dead when I stored my car waiting for the title to get mailed to me. (forgot to turn off the Sirius, whoops!). I charged the optima and it came back!..which they are not supposed to do. They charge just fine. I also used a Ctek battery maintainer on it over winter and it was fine. I think his example must have been a fluke.

Hi Bigneez,
If I may, let me add a couple points here. Some great information posted already.
Most chargers will work just fine on our batteries, especially newer microprocessor style battery charger. We suggest using the AGM setting on the charger, if it is offered and avoiding “Gel” or “gel/AGM” charger settings, as they may not fully-charge the battery and could damage it over time.
They key to long battery life is proper voltage maintenance. Fully-charged, our RedTops will measure about 12.6-12.8 volts and our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts. Keep any battery maintained at or above 12.4 volts and you'll help keep sulfation from shortening battery life.
Feel free to ask any question about our products, I will do my best to answer them.
Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

^^^ Why replace the battery on an '11 to start with? Especially if it's under warranty.

You'd only need CCAs if you were driving in the winter and you only need (most of the time) deep cycle capabilities if you're running a huge aftermarket stereo or something of the like.

^^^ Why replace the battery on an '11 to start with? Especially if it's under warranty.

You'd only need CCAs if you were driving in the winter and you only need (most of the time) deep cycle capabilities if you're running a huge aftermarket stereo or something of the like.

OEM's are traditionally mediocre at best (IMHO) -- I'd rather have the best under the hood and not worry about it.

Besides I have another use for the OEM.:)

Bill,
I'm torn between the red top and yellow top. Red having more cranking and cc yellow having more discharge and deep cycle capabilities-- which would be best for my stock '11 GS?

Your website does not list an optima for the Chev Corvette after '10 and shows no optima dealers in my area (within 250 miles). -- southern Ontario area.
Cheers,
Colin

Walmart carries them.

Walmart carries them.

Cool, thanks gicantor.:canada:

EDIT:
Wow I've found pricing a little prohibitive, at least at Walmart, for Optima. Online pricing with free shipping within the US is $189 USD for the redtop -- Here at Walmart the redtop list price is $249!
I can see why none of them have any in stock: Not many can afford them.

C.

Last edited:
Give these guys a call for a price. They carry optimas too.

Automotive Warehouse

Good place, gicantor. Their price for the redtop is $185 and $215 for the yellowtop. That's much better pricing and more palatable.

Might just be worth a ride down to Niagara-on-the-Lake for a look-see.

Once again, thanks for the lead.

Colin.

C.. Before you purchase the battery, there's one thing you should know. The post on the Optima are reversed and you have to put the posts closest to the firewall.
OptimaBattery001.jpg

The only reason I'm saying this is it's a pain to get the cabin filter out without removing the battery cables first. Been there dun that.
Rob

Thanks Rob -- I didn't know that but it looks like a minor detail concerning the cabin filter. Good to know in advance tho.

Did you have any issues with clamping the battery down with the OEM clamps?

I've read some history on such clamping issues but from a few years back now. Just wondering if these issues have been resolved.

Cheers, and once again Thanks,
Colin.

The fellow that I bought the car from, just installed it the month before I bought it, April/11. I just checked and there seems to be lots of material on the bottom front and back edges. I give it a good shake and it's very secure so they must have fixed that problem. Fir tree needles are the reason I mentioned the filter, (they really bung it up) but I forgot you folks only have Maple Leafs. Pun intended!!!!!
Rob

Last edited:
The fellow that I bought the car from, just installed it the month before I bought it, April/11. I just checked and there seems to be lots of material on the bottom front and back edges. I give it a good shake and it's very secure so they must have fixed that problem. Fir tree needles are the reason I mentioned the filter, (they really bung it up) but I forgot you folks only have Maple Leafs. Pun intended!!!!!
Rob

Good -- sounds like Optima has fixed that fit issue.

LOL, yes we have the "Leafs" but I'd gladly trade them for those pine needles any day.:rofl:

TNX Rob.
C.