Shayne

Regular
You're a Regular 2 You're 10 Completionist Award
Dec 1, 2010
VetteCoins
a co-worker claims he had an optima/dry cell battery in his car and that when he used a battery charger on it, it ruined the battery. has anyone else heard of this? if true how/can a person use a battery tender on this style of battery? thanks for the info.

Walmart battery, RED 730 and 800+ cold cranking amps - posts are more narrow on the 800+. Useful when mounting awkwardly (sideways etc.), or when worried about the acid spilling. I don't think Corvettes need them, but I have a dead one sitting in my garage. Anyone know if it can be recharged and brought back to life? :confused:

I would PM Optima Bill and ask him. If it's been dead for more than a few months, I would think that the plates have sulphated by now and it would be toast. The other question is if it has been in the cold since it has been dead as batteries can freeze when they don't have a charge which could destroy the plates on the inside or crack the case.

Mine was dead for two months and came back after charging. It has worked well for me the last three years.

Walmart battery, RED 730 and 800+ cold cranking amps - posts are more narrow on the 800+. Useful when mounting awkwardly (sideways etc.), or when worried about the acid spilling. I don't think Corvettes need them, but I have a dead one sitting in my garage. Anyone know if it can be recharged and brought back to life? :confused:

Thanks 88 -- I've lined one up at Automotive Warehouse in Niagara on the Lake for a good price just haven't had a decent day yet to go and get it.

Tony, Wayne, (Ford Prefect) and I are planning a trip down that way hopefully this week for a mini cruise and visit to Auto Warehouse for a look see.

Prices seem very good and well worth the visit.

As far as your dead battery: why not give it a charge (assuming you have a charger) and see if it holds. You may get lucky. But as Riley says, if you wait too long or it freezes, the plates will be biotched.

Give it a try and g/l.

C.

As far as your dead battery: why not give it a charge (assuming you have a charger) and see if it holds. You may get lucky. But as Riley says, if you wait too long or it freezes, the plates will be biotched.

Give it a try and g/l.

C.

Yeah it charges but when I apply voltage the charge just drops like a hot potato. I'll try PMing the optra rep and see what he says.

Do our cars really need these? I know they look cool and all but?

Yeah it charges but when I apply voltage the charge just drops like a hot potato. I'll try PMing the optra rep and see what he says.

Do our cars really need these? I know they look cool and all but?

Apparently some of the late models have so many live circuits that the batt will die after a few weeks of non use. (and could shorten battery life)
I'm figuring a decent battery with a CTEK smart charger should allow long battery life.

During the summer months when the car is in use I always hook up the CTEK over night -- Probably over kill for summer time but I just do it out of habit now) and will just leave it on during the winter months to let it cycle thru and keep the battery good while not in use.

I know if I don't start my car for 3 weeks, it is hit and miss as to whether it will start or not. Two weeks is actually pushing it a bit too.

I don't think our cars need a Red Top or any other gel battery. They are just cool to have and are supposed to have a good reputation. I would be perfectly happy with an AC Delco in my car as I have always liked the Delcos.

Picked mine up today after cruising down to Niagara area with Tony. Will install soon and post up pics and opinions.
Automotive Warehouse is a great place to shop. Have some good prices and very helpful people --
Full marks for looking after their customers.

C.