probably wiring or fuel leaked. In either case that's why it's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher on hand in those old c4's.

probably wiring or fuel leaked. In either case that's why it's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher on hand in those old c4's.

As a retired firefighter, I recommend an extinguisher in every car. They're not expensive, don't take up much space and worth their weight in gold should you, or someone you meet, need one.

Very handy to put out little fires that very possibly may grow into all consuming big fires.

Food for thought everyone. :canada:

and thanks for posting Keith -- A timely reminder for us all.

C.

As a retired firefighter, I recommend an extinguisher in every car. They're not expensive, don't take up much space and worth their weight in gold should you, or someone you meet, need one.

Very handy to put out little fires that very possibly may grow into all consuming big fires.

Food for thought everyone. :canada:

and thanks for posting Keith -- A timely reminder for us all.

C.

I have an extinguisher in my Chevelle ever since the fuel line decided to pop off and spray fuel all over the intake and headers. THAT was a great feeling, opening the hood to see fuel boiling away on the exhaust! :eek:

We had put about 35k miles on our '69 Chevelle when the two fuel pump bolts decided to back off. The rocking action of the loose pump had cracked the fuel line to the carb and had gas spraying around. Again, a scary thing. It pays to go over things now and then just to snug things up. I have a big extinguisher mounted right between the garage doors.

I've only seen one under hood fire and one of those little extinguishers are pretty well useless if there is any amount of gas involved. You want a good sized one, specifically for gas and electrical fires. Class B and C for electrical and flammable liquids.

I've only seen one under hood fire and one of those little extinguishers are pretty well useless if there is any amount of gas involved. You want a good sized one, specifically for gas and electrical fires. Class B and C for electrical and flammable liquids.

So you've got no faith in small extinguishers since the one fire you saw was too big to put out with one huh?
If so that's a shame, Keith, because my job of 25 years taught me much differently. Over that time span I went to many a call involving small fires that drivers or police put out with their seemingly insignificant extinguishers b4 we got there thereby saving the vehicle and possibly some lives.

If my word isn't good enough for you then go to any firehall and ask those guys. They'll give it to you straight up just like I did.

Colin.

Perhaps the extinguisher I saw used didn't have a full charge but it petered out pretty quickly. Obviously you have seen a lot more of this stuff than I with only one example to speak from so I will take your word for it. I can see me carrying one of the small ones but certainly wouldn't be driving around with a big one like the one I have in the garage. Thanks for the added info. I'll add one to my shopping list.

A C4 with C5 wagon wheels (my least favourite generation and the worse Corvette wheels in history), I'm thinking the car spontaniously combusted.
:rofl:

Of course I'm only kidding... about the combusting part.
:D

A C4 with C5 wagon wheels (my least favourite generation and the worse Corvette wheels in history), I'm thinking the car spontaniously combusted.
:rofl:

Of course I'm only kidding... about the combusting part.
:D

That could be the subject of a whole new thread......Cars That Want To Spontaneously Combust Due To Owners Modifications. Saw a couple of good photos on the forum of awful rear spoilers recently. That would be a good start.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread