Jul 25, 2012
Fraser Valley B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Convertible
As a new vette owner, what do most owners use for an oil change for the motor , Mobil 5w30 Mobil 1 or Royal purple? Has anyone changed to Amsoil, Royal purple or even the new Dexon 6 (as in the c6) into their manual 6 speed for a smother and easier less hard shifting through the gears?
My six speed is a bit hard to shift as all c5's are, all but into sixth gear whereas it goes in like butter at 80 to 85 kmph as recomennded.It only has 37,000 km on it now but will be glad to change tranny oil for a smoother and easier shifting. By smooth I only mean less work or push to get it into each gear. Have driven only standard in all my non commercial cars.
Al..

As a new vette owner, what do most owners use for an oil change for the motor , Mobil 5w30 Mobil 1 or Royal purple? Has anyone changed to Amsoil, Royal purple or even the new Dexon 6 (as in the c6) into their manual 6 speed for a smother and easier less hard shifting through the gears?
My six speed is a bit hard to shift as all c5's are, all but into sixth gear whereas it goes in like butter at 80 to 85 kmph as recomennded.It only has 37,000 km on it now but will be glad to change tranny oil for a smoother and easier shifting. By smooth I only mean less work or push to get it into each gear. Have driven only standard in all my non commercial cars.
Al..

Our shop uses Royal Purple for both the trans & Diff + GM friction modifer
For the engine we use Penszoil 5W30 .

My six speed is a bit hard to shift as all c5's are, all but into sixth gear whereas it goes in like butter at 80 to 85 kmph as recommended.It only has 37,000 km on it now but will be glad to change tranny oil for a smoother and easier shifting. By smooth I only mean less work or push to get it into each gear. Have driven only standard in all my non commercial cars.
Al..

Good questions.
I have gone through a few shifters in the last two years trying to get the perfect feel and smoothness when shifting. #1: C5 factory Shifter, hated the sloppiness. #2: Hurst , Hated it even more, #3 MGW. I liked it but my wife didn't have the strength to move it. #4: C6 Z06 shortened shifter, Love this one.
Also I never shift into 6th gear until I'm well over 100 Kph.

If you still have the original fluid in there a change should definitely help.
I would imagine Manny will have a recommendation for you.:canada:

Oily?

Thanks Manny and Mark. Have never seen Pennzoil been recomended before. And I just bought 2 large jugs of Mobil 1, (guess they will go into the Honda and Ford ranger now). Have read that Royal Purple for the diff does not need the slip additive cause it's added in already.?? If I change the tranny fluid should I do the diff at the same time too??

Pennzoil is great from what I've been told or what I have read, however, I am still using Mobil 1 in the Corvette as I too have Jugs of Mobil 1 on the shelf. Once those are done, over to Pennzoil I go! I'm sure you would be fine using up the Mobil 1 in your Corvette.

I've used Royal Purple and am presently using Mobil 1 since I have a stock of it from sales, and it is what GM recommends.

I do believe that there are a few good ones out there and preference plays a big part in what is used.
As to what actually helps the engine last longer and prevent excessive ware, I don't know.
Those who do the BlackStone oil analysis would have those results.

My personal belief is that these days, most big brand oils are made to meet manufacturer's specs and either meet or exceed them handily.

If one is unsure what to do then following the manufacturer's recommendations is probably best for both specific oil and change schedule both of which are in the owner's manual.

C.

Thanks Manny and Mark. Have never seen Pennzoil been recomended before. And I just bought 2 large jugs of Mobil 1, (guess they will go into the Honda and Ford ranger now). Have read that Royal Purple for the diff does not need the slip additive cause it's added in already.?? If I change the tranny fluid should I do the diff at the same time too??

Even with the RP diff fluid having additive in we still add the GM one , better safe than sorry :D

If you want a really nice shifter , get yourself a MGW . Its what I run in my vette :D

Let me highjack this thread and ask Manny what he recommends for a viscosity and brand for a high mileage (75,000 miles) mid 70's engine with an original flat tappet cam. Valve seals have been done and still getting some blue smoke on initial start up so suspect valve guides need done. Engine uses about a litre every 4000 miles.

Let me highjack this thread and ask Manny what he recommends for a viscosity and brand for a high mileage (75,000 miles) mid 70's engine with an original flat tappet cam. Valve seals have been done and still getting some blue smoke on initial start up so suspect valve guides need done. Engine uses about a litre every 4000 miles.

For your engine I would use the high milage Castrol GTX 10W30.

Slippery Stuff

For the engine we use Penszoil 5W30 .[/QUOTE]

my 2000 C5 has 126,000 km I have no history of its past oil use... I normally use Castrol 5/50 in my 01 6.0L 2500HD.. any suggestion to start over for me? The Penszoil 5/30?.... have you seen differences in engines with the Penzoil thanks Carl

Manny.............?

Have recently read that if you use Royal Purple in the diff. do not add the Gm slip additive. Reason being (they said) that that with both slip additives in there, it will make the inside wheel hop and skip when going around corners.
Have not changed mine yet, but will go by Manny's advice to also add the GM stuff.

Have recently read that if you use Royal Purple in the diff. do not add the Gm slip additive. Reason being (they said) that that with both slip additives in there, it will make the inside wheel hop and skip when going around corners.
Have not changed mine yet, but will go by Manny's advice to also add the GM stuff.

It's what Manny put in mine (and my brother's) -- (both RP and additive) and seems to be working just fine.
I went with Manny's expertise on this.

C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.