Feb 1, 2013
Cambridge Ont
VetteCoins
Car
2009 Silver Coupe
When I changed the oil last weekend I saw oil weeping from what seemed to be the oil pan gasket. I didn't see any oil above the pan and I read that this was common on the LS engines. There is no drip on the floor but it does get on the pan. The car still has GM powertrain warranty on it and I think after reading the manual that this is covered. My question is has anybody had this work done on their car and would you recommend any dealer in the Cambridge-Kitchener-Waterloo area? I know DaSilva Motorsports could handle it but I assume this is not a cheap fix and quite labour intensive and I am hoping not to have to pay for it. Plus GM should have to fix these issues. I don't want just anybody working on the car, I want a dealership familiar with Corvettes. Wilson-Nibblet in Toronto seems to have a good reputation on this forum but I have no experience with them. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Had oil on the bottom of my oil pan and didn't know where it was exactly coming from .What I found to my surprise was my oil filter wasn't tight as it should be .The air turbulence was actually pushing the oil forward .I cleaned everything up and did an oil change in December and another one today and I found nothing .No oil drips anywhere :D

Had oil on the bottom of my oil pan and didn't know where it was exactly coming from .What I found to my surprise was my oil filter wasn't tight as it should be .The air turbulence was actually pushing the oil forward .I cleaned everything up and did an oil change in December and another one today and I found nothing .No oil drips anywhere :D

I had the same thing on my truck,,,, was just the filter wasn't fitting just right... worth a look.

Funny that you mention that but when I took off the old filter I was surprised at how little effort it took. The new filter is definitely tight so I will check underneath in a few days. If the oil leak has returned I will give the pan bolts a quarter turn each and see if that fixes it. Thanks guys.

Funny that you mention that but when I took off the old filter I was surprised at how little effort it took. The new filter is definitely tight so I will check underneath in a few days. If the oil leak has returned I will give the pan bolts a quarter turn each and see if that fixes it. Thanks guys.

Not sure if you need it or not Antony, but here's a handy guide for torque on the LS3:
http://paceperformance.com/files/pdf/ls3-torque-specs.pdf
I hope your seepage stops. I can't recommend a good dealer whom I would trust to work on my car.....sorry.

I too noticed a loose oil filter on my brother's C6 while changing his oil last year -- and it was changed by a reputable shop (by our experience).....

I can only assume that it was not tightened enough and may shake loose somehow with normal tightening maybe necessitating slightly more torque.

I do my own changes and always index the filter and turn it 1/4 turn after contact and give it a very small fraction of a turn more.

As everyone knows, tightening too much is just as bad as under tightening, so care must be given.

Barring anything out of the ordinary, like loose bolts or loose filter, you still will need to visit a dealer. All I can suggest is that you pick one to do the job and then have Manny inspect it afterwards to make sure it's all good.
That cost would be negligible compared to the gasket replacement and well worth the small investment.

G/L

Colin.