Yes, I also agree, the OEM filter is the best, as long as it's the correct OEM GM filter. GM makes lots of filters that fit, but don't have the correct spec. You never know how the off brands might work for sure.

I'm not saying "replacement" brand filters do not meet spec however I feel more confident that the OEM filter will do the job as set out by the engineers on the paper spec sheet.
I worked for a company that sold OEM "original" fuel filters as well as a less expensive replacement. If you cut the two open the less expensive filter had the same paper, just less of it. Also Alcan did a flow test on several "replacement" filters against the OEM brand. The OEM came out on top every time as it was the one that blocked up first. In other words it did a better job of filtering out the crap in the fuel and therefore would/could lead to longer fuel pump/injector life.
Also ran in to a replacement filter on the 6.9L diesel that was just short by a little bit which led to fuel bypassing the filter. These were all fuel "diesel" filters so I don't know if the same problems could carry over to other vehicle filters.
Just gives me feel good thoughts knowing what I install is recommended and sanctioned by the OEM.
I also like to change fluids and filters at the recommended intervals. There are reasons for those intervals as well.
GM doesn't make their filters. If I recall correctly they are made by Wix. So a Wix filter will likely be the same and maybe even cost less. Whoever makes it substitute it's name for Wix.

GM doesn't make their filters. If I recall correctly they are made by Wix. So a Wix filter will likely be the same and maybe even cost less. Whoever makes it substitute it's name for Wix.
Very few OEM companies, if any, produce their own filters. Never the less I prefer to have a company spec filter rather than a "replacement" filter. It may fit but will it do the same job to the OE standards.
There are many ways to get OEM filters without going through the dealership, Same with oil. If you have the correct part number you can usually source automotive parts from a wholesaler or distributor.

Very few OEM companies, if any, produce their own filters. Never the less I prefer to have a company spec filter rather than a "replacement" filter. It may fit but will it do the same job to the OE standards.
There are many ways to get OEM filters without going through the dealership, Same with oil. If you have the correct part number you can usually source automotive parts from a wholesaler or distributor.
If it is identical I don't see the issue, but if you want to pay for the name GM on it, it's your choice. Personally I'd rather use a better filter.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.