Jul 4, 2019
Elora
VetteCoins
Car
2023 Stingray
Province
ON
I was at Cullens in Guelph yesterday to get a filter for my 2019 Grandsport and the parts guy told me this is what they use for a filter?
I have never used this filter before and I believe this is the wrong filter. Has anyone go
PXL_20230407_103803837.jpg
t any info on this? I think the bypass pressure is too high.

Cariboocreek is correct and you're right to be suspicious, it is the wrong oil filter for the Gen 5 LT1. Even though the UPF64R is purported to be a performance upgrade over the recommended PF64 it does not have the correct bypass pressure. It's important to use a filter with a bypass pressure of 22 PSI. The spec on the UPF64R is too high at 35.53 psi. Even though the OEM PF64 has undergone a number of changes / modifications over the years, it is still the best choice while the vehicle is covered under the factory, or extended, powertrain warranty.

See this thread for more detail.

Last edited:
Yep, wrong filter. Just yesterday I read two hours worth of threads on oil filters. I know, crazy....but I was bored....lol.
So, here's a thought, scary or not! Since they're giving you the wrong filter I wonder what oil they're putting in these cars when you bring them in for a change? Just one more reason to do the ALL the changes yourself!

• Agree
Reactions: cdnrx1
I have a 2014 Z51 with the dry sump...is the PF64 the right filter for my vette...thx...I am going to get oil changed this week....I buy the Mobil 1 Synthetic and filter and take it to my buddys automotive shop where he personally changes the oil and filter..Is there another filter out there that compares to the AC Delco that some of you use or stick to the AC Delco...thx

There are products from Napa and Wix that meet these requirements but the PF64 is generally considered to be the most suitable filter for the LT1. The 22 PSI internal bypass rating is extremely important and not many filters meet this spec.

Reactions: Pocono kid
So I went back to the dealer yesterday to return the wrong filter and got a different guy at the parts counter that told me the same thing that they use the UPF64R.
I explained about the bypass pressure and said my car is not getting that filter and just give me the PF64, my manual calls for it as well. After all if the engine was to go with that filter it would be me paying for a new engine and not the dealer!

PF 64 and UPF64R are interchangeable, the UPF is just a higher quality filter. This is what I use in my 2019 GS. I also use the UPF filters in my ZR1. BTW it's always better to fill the filter with oil before install it, oil pressure will go up way faster.

PF 64 and UPF64R are interchangeable, the UPF is just a higher quality filter. This is what I use in my 2019 GS. I also use the UPF filters in my ZR1. BTW it's always better to fill the filter with oil before install it, oil pressure will go up way faster.
They are not interchangeable. They have different bypass pressures. Will it make a difference? Who knows, but definitely not interchangeable. Been discussed here and on other forums ad infinitum.

here is a link to the AC Delco catalog, https://parts-catalog.techconnectcanada.com/acesCat.php?# I selected my 2019 grandsport, and in a few clic, I was on a page that give me the choice of PF64, PF64F and UPF64R. 2 years ago, when I bought the car, the dealer sent me a PF64E by mistake as I was billed a UPF64R, I dont see the PF64E anymore in the listings. I also use the UPF filters on the ZR1 since new, the same AC Delco catalog give 2 choices for the ZR1 PF48A (was PF48 before ) or UPF48R . AC Delco use the PF serie as there silver line of product and the UPF as there golde serie according to the informations on there web site.

here is a link to the AC Delco catalog, https://parts-catalog.techconnectcanada.com/acesCat.php?# I selected my 2019 grandsport, and in a few clic, I was on a page that give me the choice of PF64, PF64F and UPF64R. 2 years ago, when I bought the car, the dealer sent me a PF64E by mistake as I was billed a UPF64R, I dont see the PF64E anymore in the listings. I also use the UPF filters on the ZR1 since new, the same AC Delco catalog give 2 choices for the ZR1 PF48A (was PF48 before ) or UPF48R . AC Delco use the PF serie as there silver line of product and the UPF as there golde serie according to the informations on there web site.
excellent site. Thanks for the link Boss
And thanks to Cariboo for the link to the correct filter for your engine. I checked mine and GM sold me the correct filter.

Last edited:
I'm not saying "replacement" brand filters do not meet spec however I feel more confident that the OEM filter will do the job as set out by the engineers on the paper spec sheet.
I worked for a company that sold OEM "original" fuel filters as well as a less expensive replacement. If you cut the two open the less expensive filter had the same paper, just less of it. Also Alcan did a flow test on several "replacement" filters against the OEM brand. The OEM came out on top every time as it was the one that blocked up first. In other words it did a better job of filtering out the crap in the fuel and therefore would/could lead to longer fuel pump/injector life.
Also ran in to a replacement filter on the 6.9L diesel that was just short by a little bit which led to fuel bypassing the filter. These were all fuel "diesel" filters so I don't know if the same problems could carry over to other vehicle filters.
Just gives me feel good thoughts knowing what I install is recommended and sanctioned by the OEM.
I also like to change fluids and filters at the recommended intervals. There are reasons for those intervals as well.