Oct 8, 2018
Northern Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Z06 3LZ LBR-MT
Province
ON
I have a 2019 Z06 with 3,000 kms and I have had three complimentary oil changes to date at the dealer. My last oil change was last summer and I have less than 900kms on that oil. My car is maintained in a heated garage at all times. My question is do I still require an oil change before driving it once the weather and roads are cleaned? The dealer has recommended I still come in for the oil change. Your thoughts?

I have a 2019 Z06 with 3,000 kms and I have had three complimentary oil changes to date at the dealer. My last oil change was last summer and I have less than 900kms on that oil. My car is maintained in a heated garage at all times. My question is do I still require an oil change before driving it once the weather and roads are cleaned? The dealer has recommended I still come in for the oil change. Your thoughts?
Synthetic oil doesn't break down the way conventional oil does over time. You are fine to drive it and change oil in the fall when you put it away. If you're going to lose the free oil changes, that is another matter. May as well get it changed whenever they are still free. JMO

I used up my last free oil change at WN back in Oct. shortly before I was going to put the car away. I did drive the car a few more times before parking it sometime in Nov. The oil change monitor was reset after the free oil change was done so when I parked the car it was close to 100% (probably around 95-97%).

When I got my car going for this season the OCM had gone down to 53% and I was still driving the car around for a few weeks before I did the oil change myself last week.

I kinda didn't like the major torque the person at WN applied to my drain plugs (way too tight) along with the oil filter so that will be the last time any shop will be doing this service for me (I always do oil changes myself and now much easier to do that I have a scissor lift to put the car up).

I changed the little drain plug gaskets to new ones and everything is torqued to the proper specs and paint marked so next time I can just line up the marks and know the plugs and oil filter are tightened properly.

I usually wouldn't even let anyone touch the car for anything especially an oil change but since at the time I couldn't find the 0w40 ESP oil for a decent price I decided to let WN do them as I had 2 year free oil changes when I bought the car new.

After they did 1 change I was able to find the oil at RA for a decent price so I loaded up on it (I now have stocked up on 60 quarts of it enough for 6 oil changes) and I decided to let them do that 1 last change before my 2 years were up (they did 3 total for me free). Now I will do them myself from now on.

Trust me when I say there are people who should NOT do their own maintenance. Some shouldn’t even wash their cars.

But she can't reach the windshield any other way....

1650292243095.png

The only way to know for sure if the oil needed to be changed or not is to do a used oil analysis on it. However, the OLM (Oil Life Monitor) is what I would follow. It's actually pretty conservative since both for my CTS-V and C7 Z06 when I send the oil in for analysis, even at 0% the oil is still in its viscosity grade and has plenty of additives left. The OLM will account for cold starts, start and stop traffic vs highway use, the car sitting for extended period of time, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.