Regular
Dec 26, 2012
St. Albert, AB
VetteCoins
Car
2023 HTC
Province
AB
I have always changed oil in my vehicles at the 50-40% mark. I don't know if there is any value except piece of mind in this. I only go 1 season per change even if the mileage is very low.
When do most guys like to change oil and why?

I did that too ... it was purely peace of mind for me ... before using synthetic.
My “comfort level” now is once per year or when I see less than 30% and
near a dealer that lets me drive up without an appointment (like Northgate in YEG and Adams in Wetaskiwin).
The Corvettes will likely be once per year now that the inclusive Mobil 1 oil renews are done.

I recently learned that dealerships have been allowing carfax to log my oil changes.

Last edited:
I had my car since the summer of 17 and it’s had 3 synthetic oil changes in 7800 KMs.
- The break in change
- MITM oil change in 18.
- Spring oil change in 19.

Squandering the free ones but I like my oil to look new. I can’t imagine pulling a dipstick on any C7 and finding black 9000 KM synthetic oil. If I was buying one... I’d be gone immediately after that.
The oil meter on my car drops off quick. Even when it’s in storage it’s dropping.
But 5000 KMs would be the max for oil life in my car regardless of the monitor %.

I had my car since the summer of 17 and it’s had 3 synthetic oil changes in 7800 KMs.
- The break in change
- MITM oil change in 18.
- Spring oil change in 19.

Squandering the free ones but I like my oil to look new. I can’t imagine pulling a dipstick on any C7 and finding black 9000 KM synthetic oil. If I was buying one... I’d be gone immediately after that.
The oil meter on my car drops off quick. Even when it’s in storage it’s dropping.
But 5000 KMs would be the max for oil life in my car regardless of the monitor %.
LOL. Good advice D. I've pulled the dipstick on every used vehicle ive bought for a long time. I also wipe the stick on my fingers and smell the oil too. If it smells burnt, it is. Five changes in 16,000 here.

I always use Mobil 1in all our vehicles. Corvette is Minimum of once a year or when the indicator gets to 25%. I do my own, usually at my place in AZ on Race Ramps. Wife's car gets changed once a year around 6000 km per year and GMC Acadia in AZ gets Mobil 1 high mileage once a year.

If you have 100 bucks get 3 oil changes anayized for yourself, any other statements are mere conjecture
Exactly. The manufacturer recommendations are advisable for most people. I do wish more manufacturers also published a mileage recommendation as a supplement to the oil life sensor, but I guess that would be too confusing for people. Most manufacturers recommend 6 months on conventional, 1 year on synthetic if mileage is below the change interval.

Colour and smell don't give you much indication of what's going on in modern oils, as dark colour by itself can be caused by the additives, and also means the oil is suspending dirt and other combustion contaminants rather than leaving them in the engine to wear or corrode internal components. It also gives no indication of age or moisture, as really black and thick oil might be a red flag of high miles and age, but relatively clean looking oil could be old, have higher moisture, with just as much need to change.

My car had anual oil changes at well under 10,000 KM according to the records, so I did my first oil change near the date in August with Mobil 1 5W30 and a Mobil 1 oil filter. I'll be doing it again this August, and have about 6,000 KMs on the oil right now. It's not winter stored and the longest it sat this past year was about 3 weeks when I was out of town.

On my G35 the manufacturer recommendation is 6250 KM or 6 months with conventional, 12,500 KMs or 1 year with synthetic, but I haven't driven much over 10000 KMs in the almost 8 years I've had the car, so I change it every year. It's had Mobil 1 5W30 in it since 60,000 KMs, now over 214,000 KMs. I used to use a Nissan oil filter, but started using Mobil 1 filters when the price went up and I found out they use cardboard end caps. I've done every oil change myself since I got the car at about 156,000 KMs.

have just re-joined the group with a 2013 C6. Previously was travelling with a P.car, TT. [2002].
P. car oil changes every 12,000km. Owners manual was written for owners who were interested
in the vehicle. I find the 'vette manual most annoying. Lack of info, specifics and details. Personally
this is rather strange as the buyer of a 'vette is one who wants to be involved with the car; yet the
manual wants the dealership to do all things technical.
Previous 'vettes had oil changes on an annual basis at around 10,000km, with Mobil 1.

Tony

Reactions: ddgermann
Blood transfusion happening now. The LS7 requires 7.75 litres according to the service manual computer. Rear diff fluid getting changed as well.

B9C96814-7A08-491A-A2E2-FAA85AA65A7A.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.