Jul 28, 2013
Martensville Sk
VetteCoins
Car
1976, hopefully
what are the odds of finding a C3 in Canada without an overly rusty frame and birdcage? I've looked at a few over the last couple years and they have all been needing attention to the structures.
I imagine there are a few garage queens or in places that are really mild like Kelowa and Osoyos. These would go for a few bucks though. I'm looking for one that needs work, but has a good base to it.

They may be out there but are going to be difficult to find. I bought my 70 from Arkansas on eBay. Took a flight to go test drive and inspect every inch of it in person. This was not just a vehicle purchase, but a very interesting and memorable experience to remember.

Very difficult. I even looked at the birdcage pretty good on mine before I bought it. Found out (during my rebuild) that it was "repaired" so it looked solid but had tons of issues. I wouldn't shy away from looking in the states too. better chance of rust free, just a little more work to get it across the border.

T

Reactions: ddgermann
Very difficult. I even looked at the birdcage pretty good on mine before I bought it. Found out (during my rebuild) that it was "repaired" so it looked solid but had tons of issues. I wouldn't shy away from looking in the states too. better chance of rust free, just a little more work to get it across the border.

T

It cost me about $5K for shipping via enclosed trailer plus GST to bring mine to Canada, but once I saw the bare bones during my restoration I was very pleased on my decision and the price I paid. I believe with our cars, it is much better to start off with a good foundation from the beginning. Quite a bit more pricey purchasing from the US, but you do get what you pay for most of the time. Buyer still must beware, and a detailed inspection is mandatory.

It cost me about $5K for shipping via enclosed trailer plus GST to bring mine to Canada, but once I saw the bare bones during my restoration I was very pleased on my decision and the price I paid. I believe with our cars, it is much better to start off with a good foundation from the beginning. Quite a bit more pricey purchasing from the US, but you do get what you pay for most of the time. Buyer still must beware, and a detailed inspection is mandatory.

Seeing it for myself, your C3 is immaculate Ziggy. IMHO you did the research and purchase of your car with

Reactions: turbozig
Seeing it for myself, your C3 is immaculate Ziggy. IMHO you did the research and purchase of your car with
Lol.... my post was chopped by the internet demons. Ok... my network sucks.
Point was Ziggy did it right when going out to find the right car. Inherited cars are a different matter but if your looking for one ... better to not buy a huge problem from the get go.

Captain obvious
D

YUP saw his car in person and it is the right way to go
buy from Ziggy and buy with confidence

I would buy something newer but that is just me,

why the C3 anything special for you

Jeff

YUP saw his car in person and it is the right way to go
buy from Ziggy and buy with confidence

I would buy something newer but that is just me,

why the C3 anything special for you

Jeff

If your reply is to me Jeff.... the C3 Corvette is the generation I grew up lusting over. That’s why it is special to me.
I however agree that I prefer my C7 but would love to have a C3 and do what Ziggy did with his.
Only time, patience and a garage to work on it holding me back.
I fully admire anyone who commits and finishes a project like that with such great detail. :Biggrin:

Reactions: turbozig
That's a good budget Jube. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to find a C3 in great shape.The 68 through 72 years are sought after a bit more so do command a good dollar but you are still in the money to pick up a prime C3. I'm attaching a link below to one member who had his for sale a while back. Granted this car is in Kentucky but in discussion with John, I got the feeling this is a pretty sweet car. Good Luck.

Re-conditioned '74 Classic White Corvette Coupe ($17,999 US$) | Canadian Corvette Forums

SO CAL VETTES has a nice yellow one and a us forum has a nice red one for about 16000 canuck or under 20k with import stuff

what colour you looking for and a manual or auto Jeff

Last edited:
A manual transmission will certainly be harder to find Jube as you get later into the C3 production years. After 1968 more and more orders for automatics prompted GM to start producing more autos off the line. By 1978, only 20% of the Corvettes produced were manual transmissions. Just a heads up if you are looking for a manual tranny....

If you want a 74-82, you should be able to find a nice one for $20k. A 68-73 may be a bit tougher to find a nice one for that amount. Best of luck on your hunt. I recommend to research how to inspect the frame and birdcage before purchase. It is amazing how much can be covered up, and then to find out it's a basket case.

I made a list of must haves.
I don't like the 74's due to the rear bumper. And the 77 dash doesn't fit the car in my opinion. Which leads to the 75-76.
A couple things that arent a deal breaker are colour and transmission. A manual would be a bonus because it will simplify installing a 5 speed ;)
Colour can always be changed.

I actually stumbled upon a '73 this past summer while cruising through the autotrader ads. The owner had used a horrible rear quarter shot as the only picture for the ad, and there were no details to be had other than the basics. Thankfully, I was in the market for a car from '73 (year I was born for a little nostalgia) and gave him a call right away. As it turned out, it was an original, numbers matching 454 with a super clean interior, no cage or frame rust to be seen, and only some nose damage that he had done himself rear ending his own car in the driveway. Picked her up for just over $10K and actually drove her home. I put a few thousand in for new calipers and brakes on all four corners, fixed the nose with a new clip, and did a few other cosmetics to get me through the season. =) Over the winter now, I'm ordering in about $2500 of bits, bobs and bolts to clean up some of the worn interior components, weather seals and a more loose than I would like steering box, but she's a real gem and a head turner. I'm also planning to have the original (and now tired) 454 pulled and rebuilt while I stuff a spare 427 block in there to get me through the spring months. So they are definitely out there, you just need to stumble across one and bring it home!

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.