May 1, 2016
VetteCoins
I have read on US Forum that you can wedge the gap open between the headlight and the facia to allow the tab to drop in between the headlight and the facia. I don't want to damage the body or the headlight and if I do get the tab in will I be able to get it out? The car is ceramic coated and I have been advised that I should not add film. Maybe best to return the mask and take my chances with road crap. Any help appreciated.

• Winner
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
image 2.png
image.png

Nosemasks like those usually need warmth (meaning sunlight outside) for the material to stretch slightly for the tabs to reach the areas where they go in, especially on the first install and the mask is new. Obvious thing is make sure the part is made for your specific model car.

As a test, remove it and just install 1 side and leave the other side loose. Can you now insert the tabs into where they go between the headlight and fender gap? If you can the part will go on wait till a nice sunny day and leave the car and mask folded out outside to bake for like 15-20mins then try to install it, the heat will help the fabric stretch a bit while you install and you will find the tabs will be able to reach the areas they are suppose to go into. Once you get the part on leave it outside for a little bit longer for it to "form" around all the curves and contours of the car and next time it will be a lot easier to install sunlight or no.

Nosemasks like those usually need warmth (meaning sunlight outside) for the material to stretch slightly for the tabs to reach the areas where they go in, especially on the first install and the mask is new. Obvious thing is make sure the part is made for your specific model car.

As a test, remove it and just install 1 side and leave the other side loose. Can you now insert the tabs into where they go between the headlight and fender gap? If you can the part will go on wait till a nice sunny day and leave the car and mask folded out outside to bake for like 15-20mins then try to install it, the heat will help the fabric stretch a bit while you install and you will find the tabs will be able to reach the areas they are suppose to go into. Once you get the part on leave it outside for a little bit longer for it to "form" around all the curves and contours of the car and next time it will be a lot easier to install sunlight or no.
Afterimage - thanks for advice. Problem is not the stretch thing. This is a genuine GM Accessory from GM Service Parts Operations and fit is all good. It is the clearance between the headlight housing and the facia that is the problem. There are fabric tabs that must be squeezed into the gaps between the headlight and body, just like on my C6, but they will not go in. As I said initially the US boys say you can wedge the opening larger with a plastic tool so the tab will slide in. The clearance on the outside of he headlight is fine it is the inside on both sides of the car that is the problem. I am waiting for Monday to talk to my body shop friend to see if wedging is a good idea or if I will damage something. Maybe best to go "bra-less".

I'm familiar with how these nose masks work. Going back to 1985 when I bought my first "new" car and got a nose mask for it.

Yes I understand about the tight gap between the hdlt and fender which is why I suggest that the car and mask sit outside on a sunny day for a bit to help the fabric stretch and also the body panels (specifically the bumper since you mention tight gaps on the inside of the hdlt).

With the weather still kinda cool the bumper will probably not flex as much when you try to squeeze the tab in but outside in the sun for a bit of time it will move slightly enough to push the tab in. Again bake the car and mask folded out in the sun for a bit and just do 1 side first see if the tabs will go in where they are supposed to go. If you are comfortable with the fit then do the other side otherwise no mask your choice.

If you get 1 side in, don't push all those tabs in all the way do the other side after first till you get all the tabs in and started then go around and properly finish pushing all the tabs in.

I'm familiar with how these nose masks work. Going back to 1985 when I bought my first "new" car and got a nose mask for it.

Yes I understand about the tight gap between the hdlt and fender which is why I suggest that the car and mask sit outside on a sunny day for a bit to help the fabric stretch and also the body panels (specifically the bumper since you mention tight gaps on the inside of the hdlt).

With the weather still kinda cool the bumper will probably not flex as much when you try to squeeze the tab in but outside in the sun for a bit of time it will move slightly enough to push the tab in. Again bake the car and mask folded out in the sun for a bit and just do 1 side first see if the tabs will go in where they are supposed to go. If you are comfortable with the fit then do the other side otherwise no mask your choice.

If you get 1 side in, don't push all those tabs in all the way do the other side after first till you get all the tabs in and started then go around and properly finish pushing all the tabs in.
Sorry this is just a question of physics. I only have an Imperial vernier so these dimensions are in inches.

Clearance outside of headlight housing 0.135"
Clearance inside of headlight housing 0.060"
Tab thickness as is 0.125"
Tab thickness compressed 0.110"

Like a square peg in a round hole. The tab is twice as thick as the gap it is tying to go into. Trying to poke in a 0.110" piece into a 0.060" space.

Having it bake in the sun helps with the installation of these nosemasks to a car. The sun also help panels to flex slightly enough and make the tabs a bit more pliable so they will push in. Being a brand new nosemask if you are just trying to test fit it in your garage or whatever before you can have the car and the part warmed up by the sun it will be difficult to install.

Again make sure you have the correct part for your specific car. From your calculations 0.11" is 2.79mm, 0.06" is 1.52mm the difference is 1.27mm that's barely anything when we are talking panel fit and gaps (tab thickness compressed can be slightly less again with some heat). The fit should be snug and not too loose so parts of the mask don't come out with buffeting and wind while driving.

Not trying to argue just trying to help, ultimately you have to be comfortable with what you are doing. If it were me I know the steps I would take for this part to go on

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread