Ares

I'm New Here
Jun 27, 2021
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Hello CCF members.

I don't post much here but I have a question for you all. Here's a little background first:

I put a deposit down for a C8 in May 2021. I picked a dealership close to my home as I wasn't in a super rush to get one since I'm moving into my new home soon.

Since day one i have had bad vibes with the salesman. Despite me bringing in two friends to also order a C8, we have all been in the dark with the entire process. He even called us back in to ask us to drop more deposit because his dealer principal wanted to filter through flippers and real buyers, fine. We went in to give the additional deposit. This guy for some reason cancelled my friends order because his boss felt like he wasn't a serious buyer (he put down a deposit). Said friend got upset then cancelled the order and bought a Tesla instead.

Since then he has called back three times to tell me my Corvette was ready, not allocated, but in the dealership (lol?). After a call with him I found out he was trying to push a cancelled order on me (and my friends). I told him thanks but it's not what I ordered. I wanted a 2LT Coupe with Z51. He did this another time a few months later.

Today he calls me again and he said, congratulations your car is in (non Z51). Once again it wasn't what I ordered and he suddenly went full ignorant/rude and proceeded to tell me that Chevy is no longer sending them anything Z51. I told him there's no way.

That brings me here. I obviously know he's talking shiet and although I can appreciate him trying to make a quick sale, his tone, approach, and misinformation is on par with a shady used car lot salesman.

Am I nuts for turning him down a third time? Is Z51 really not being sent up here? He claims they haven't had one come in for 9 months.

Am I better off taking my deposit back and going to another dealership to start over? I'm lost right now and have nothing. I am over a year in and I feel like this guy is beyond incompetent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 👍.

K

AFAIK There are still no stock orders allowed. Only customer orders. IF they put through orders with customers names on them, but not what they wanted, then yes, they are not being honest at all. Z51's are available, but the may be in restricted availability. Others will know better on that. GM will at times tell the dealer what they can order. How many Z06's and Stingrays for example.
To me there is something shady going on there.

Hello CCF members.

I don't post much here but I have a question for you all. Here's a little background first:

I put a deposit down for a C8 in May 2021. I picked a dealership close to my home as I wasn't in a super rush to get one since I'm moving into my new home soon.

Since day one i have had bad vibes with the salesman. Despite me bringing in two friends to also order a C8, we have all been in the dark with the entire process. He even called us back in to ask us to drop more deposit because his dealer principal wanted to filter through flippers and real buyers, fine. We went in to give the additional deposit. This guy for some reason cancelled my friends order because his boss felt like he wasn't a serious buyer (he put down a deposit). Said friend got upset then cancelled the order and bought a Tesla instead.

Since then he has called back three times to tell me my Corvette was ready, not allocated, but in the dealership (lol?). After a call with him I found out he was trying to push a cancelled order on me (and my friends). I told him thanks but it's not what I ordered. I wanted a 2LT Coupe with Z51. He did this another time a few months later.

Today he calls me again and he said, congratulations your car is in (non Z51). Once again it wasn't what I ordered and he suddenly went full ignorant/rude and proceeded to tell me that Chevy is no longer sending them anything Z51. I told him there's no way.

That brings me here. I obviously know he's talking shiet and although I can appreciate him trying to make a quick sale, his tone, approach, and misinformation is on par with a shady used car lot salesman.

Am I nuts for turning him down a third time? Is Z51 really not being sent up here? He claims they haven't had one come in for 9 months.

Am I better off taking my deposit back and going to another dealership to start over? I'm lost right now and have nothing. I am over a year in and I feel like this guy is beyond incompetent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 👍.

K
If this sales person is telling you the truth, ask him to show you your order (your name on the order) with the number. If he can’t provide this, ask for your money back and move forward. If he does provide this, then you can be in contact with the museum for updates.

I have a Z51 with a 3300 status and TPW of 9/5. My Dealer sent me a copy of the updated Workbench printout this morning that shows all options, msrp, msrp plus delivery with my name and address.
Your sales person is shady and not to be trusted.
Run the other way unless what is offered is acceptable to you.
Going on another dealer's wait list will mean about another year (plus) wait

Sorry Ares to hear that you're not trusting your salesperson. That alone is a ++ problem if he's your only real contact for info from your dealership.

To try and answer your question, from the other Forum I belong to, here's the last notice posted (from a reliable source: credit to "midengine" and "John") about C8 Stingray constraints as of August 11/22:

Stingray: Z51, FE2/4 Mag Ride, RCC Engine Cover

So according to that, Z51 did have limited availability almost 2 weeks ago. However that changes depending upon part availability which in turn, is impacted by the number of people who order it. So in other words, it's a fluid thing and not static.

I'd suggest you meet with both the sales manager and salesman of your dealership, to discuss what's going on with your order. They should also be able to tell you what your GM order status is (ie. status 3000 or better) and show you that on their system. You need to be comfortable with the dealership so you can rely on the info you're given and make the right decisions. Having said that and given the now ++ reduced allocations for Canada, you should seriously consider whether you want to accept a C8 that doesn't have 100% of your specs, especially if you're able to buy at MSRP. I'd suggest that be a topic of discussion at your meeting: when do they realistically see you getting your exact specs, if you turn down whatever they're offering you now. And they may not know the answer, due to the changing landscape Canadian dealers in particular, are facing. Finally, aside from seeking info on these Forums, consider talking to a different salesman/dealership and ideally one that's been recommended, to see his/her take on what's happening and get more up-to-date info that way. But in general, you'll find the dealerships who are sponsors on these Forums, to be reliable. And unfortunately, if you're at the top of the list with your existing dealership, you're likely better off staying with them, due to the ++ wait you'll have if you start over with another dealership, as mentioned by Noreplacement above.

Hope this helps and good luck getting behind the wheel of a C8 soon and in an ideal world, one with your exact configuration!

Reactions: Dik
Hello CCF members.

K
I am seeing tons of red flags in your story, major one being that this dealer had offered you multiple C8 corvettes that other buyers have refused to take delivery of. Who is this dealer and are your paying MSRP? were those in stock C8's being offered to you at MSRP?

Another consideration is the deposit. You gave them more money. Is if refundable or not? Some dealerships have nonrefundable deposits, which may give you more pause before switching to another dealer.
And like previously stated, with the dearth of C8s coming to Canada, might be best to buy whatever is offered, drive it while you put your name on another list, and then trade it or sell it when the car of your dreams arrives. It will definitely be a year or more so you will be out of GM’s blacklist time line.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I had a bad salesman a few years ago when buying a 2019 Vette. He lied a lot. Went to the manager and told him whats going on. Bottom line the manager gave me a full refund after I had put 500 kilometres on it from new and that salesman lost his job. If you don't feel like you are being treated fairly go to the top of the food chain. The manager made things right to make me happy so I placed an order for my 2020 Z51 3LT HTC with them. One bad apple can ruin the bunch. Or a dealership. I didn't want or ask for this guy to be fired. It was totally the managers call. He said mine wasn't the first complaint he had about this salesman.

Reactions: henkz06