XFIRE82

Power User
Oct 24, 2014
VetteCoins
Province
SK
Well this just happened in Saskatoon the other day, was on the news, a guy who I happen to know, was stopped in his 2010 Chev truck at a routine check stop the cops were doing. They gave him a $ 115 ticket for not having mud flaps on the back. They said it is the law supported by SGI. He told them the truck had a safety inspection done awhile back and it passed with no flaps......cops say pay the fine it's the law. New vehicles are suppose to come with flaps from the dealers they say. I never heard of this law like 99.9 % of us here either. No warning , just pay the man. So how stupid are some of our cars going to look with big mud flaps in back ? Any other province have this rule besides us here in Sask. ?

Well this just happened in Saskatoon the other day, was on the news, a guy who I happen to know, was stopped in his 2010 Chev truck at a routine check stop the cops were doing. They gave him a $ 115 ticket for not having mud flaps on the back. They said it is the law supported by SGI. He told them the truck had a safety inspection done awhile back and it passed with no flaps......cops say pay the fine it's the law. New vehicles are suppose to come with flaps from the dealers they say. I never heard of this law like 99.9 % of us here either. No warning , just pay the man. So how stupid are some of our cars going to look with big mud flaps in back ? Any other province have this rule besides us here in Sask. ?

From my experience this is a Saskatchewan thing X.
My last trip through there cost me as well. When demonstrating to the cops in AB the remediation of the “big... it’s the law ticket” he just shook his head apologetically that one of his colleagues could be such a douche.

This is another example of the “laws” in Saskatchewan?

I admit I have never heard of the Saskatchewan mud flap statutes though. 😂

Actually most of Canada has this enforcable rule but it's not as cut and dried over actually requiring mudflaps as a formula with a couple measurements. Body overhang works if it meets the requirement (wide as the tire, certain height off the ground based on tire size, etc.) A pickup with no flaps isn't usually going to pass. Our Vettes, no problem. Depends on the vehicle. :canada:

Actually most of Canada has this enforcable rule but it's not as cut and dried over actually requiring mudflaps as a formula with a couple measurements. Body overhang works if it meets the requirement (wide as the tire, certain height off the ground based on tire size, etc.) A pickup with no flaps isn't usually going to pass. Our Vettes, no problem. Depends on the vehicle. :canada:

Thanks professor 👌

... I'll have to stop calling these "splash guards" on the Corvette when in
Saskatchewan as it appears it's all about the other guys vehicle ...
Must be a new "Millennial Law" although I definitely agree with it
for the Winter Drivers so I can nix my bi-annual windshield
replacement need.

(splash guards are actually one of the negotiated items with all my
new auto purchases as an inclusive item on the Bill of Sale)

I agree Spence. All my vehicles have splash guards/mud flaps for protection of my vehicle and others around me. I wish they would enforce this law more.
I have a good friend as a Business Owner earning a comfortable living in Auto Glass Replacement.
He doesn't like my idea of mandating "splash guards" other than for Summer-only Vehicles - in other
words - enforced for 8 months of the year ... I am wishing for too much though and perhaps stressing friendship(s). JMO

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
Yeah, it is in deed a law to have mud flaps in Saskatchewan. They need to cover the 2/3rd of each wheels. Fenders must also be at least as wide as the wheels. I'm pretty sure none of us will be stopped with our vettes for this... And I'm going to add that I already got a rock chip on my ride in its first 500kms. I have been really careful but trucks without mud flaps added to Saskatchewan highways... I'm all for this law to be enforced. A warning for one who doesn't know can also never hurt.

Bottom line is I paid for mud flaps to be added on my truck to protect other people's vehicles. I would just like to get same courtesy.

This is big news in the truck community here. Mud flaps and window tint seem to be the two biggest ongoing issues. I personally haven’t yet had issues from driving behind trucks, all my rock chips have come from semis as they just seem to suck all the rocks out of the road and for a foot into the ditch, then spit those rocks behind them.
Anyway, as Ruffles pointed out, it only affects trucks as cars have enough overhang/to axle height ratio that they don’t need flaps.

Ruffles? Can't be referring to me... I hold out for roses, dinner and diamonds before anyone can call me Ruffles...:rofl:
Oh my ... a little “Sour” and a little “Vinegar” in this “Ruffles” package ☝️😂👍🏻 CD7AD456-BAD8-475B-BAEF-DD310952D49E.png 216F62F3-9D49-416C-B9B2-3DD77D469201.png

Last edited:
Not sure about the mud flap law in NL but I do know your tires cannot stick out past the fender. Either way way I wish it was enforced. Same with bumper heights and headlight laws.

....plus some cities have their own laws too. In Prince Albert , Sask you can't drive around with no hood . My hotrod qualifies to break alot of laws......the tires stick out, open front end , kinda loud exhaust but classy...:Biggrin:... , no flaps , I better quit pointing things out before I get a ticket here !!..:p...

Bad38july3-03 002.jpg

....plus some cities have their own laws too. In Prince Albert , Sask you can't drive around with no hood . My hotrod qualifies to break alot of laws......the tires stick out, open front end , kinda loud exhaust but classy...:Biggrin:... , no flaps , I better quit pointing things out before I get a ticket here !!..:p...

No you're good ! There's an exception for mud flaps/fenders for classic cars. As long as you're driving on a dry and clean highway. And for your exhaust... It's not like you got a straight piped ford fusion !! Not sure about the PA bylaw though but it would make sense as there are quite a few zombies that are getting smoked on a regular basis in this city.

Reactions: ccltj
Kind of funny that the province does not enforce the law at the dealership level to ensure all cars meet provincial requirements. Why are they allowing dealerships to sell "not to code" vehicles to the public?
Might be a good point in a court especially if the vehicle is new.

Reactions: ddgermann
Kind of funny that the province does not enforce the law at the dealership level to ensure all cars meet provincial requirements. Why are they allowing dealerships to sell "not to code" vehicles to the public?
Might be a good point in a court especially if the vehicle is new.

Tried that tact with my Saskatchewan encounter over the tinted windows. It didn’t fly. Up to us to know the law where we are. Might have got a pass if the tint was legal in AB based on my plates but he knew full well it wasn’t.
Maybe in court it might be a different story but is it really worth the time and expense? Guess I was lucky... didn’t have mud flaps either and he never batted and eye on my black marker lights. 😁

Tried that tact with my Saskatchewan encounter over the tinted windows. It didn’t fly. Up to us to know the law where we are. Might have got a pass if the tint was legal in AB based on my plates but he knew full well it wasn’t.
Maybe in court it might be a different story but is it really worth the time and expense? Guess I was lucky... didn’t have mud flaps either and he never batted and eye on my black marker lights. 😁
If you had the tint applied then that is your own doing.
If you bought an OEM stock car off the showroom floor and some one who knows more than the OEM wants to ticket you then I would say you have a good chance of getting it thrown out. The OEM would take an interest in having their vehicles declared noncompliant.
Ignorance of the law is not can not be pleaded but the OEM lawyers are probably quite conversant in all the in's and out's wherever the cars are sold.

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.