Kirk

I'm New Here
Jul 17, 2010
Halifax
VetteCoins
Car
1977 L82
Hi Guys. I just picked up my first Corvette yesterday. It's a 1977, and it's in great shape but will need a little work over the next few years.

So far the car has remained stock. It's Corvette orange with a brown interior. It's got a 4 speed manual transmission, and the L82 engine.

As I maintain it, I want to make sure it stays as true to original as possible. Although there are some great aftermarket parts, I want to keep this 100% Chevy.

Any tips, tricks, Canadian vendors, or contacts would be greatly appreciated. I just found the site and haven't had much chance to browse around. I'm sure I'll find lots of information in the meantime.

Congrats!!! I have also a C3. Love it!!!
A good place for parts is Corvette Central/Wilcox Corvette/Corvette America/Ecklers/Gulf Coast Corvettes, etc... so many places. Now, Corvette Central is a supporting vendor of this forum, and also has promotional free shipping to Canada quite often.

Good to have you here

welcome ,im also a newbie to the vette scene ,cant wait to see what your ride looks like :coolgleam:

Thanks guys - I will get pictures. I drove the car home on Friday afternoon, rolling into my driveway about suppertime. I spent the evening detailing it. I woke up to more detailing work on Saturday, and took a little break from detailing on Sunday to clean the garage and make it right for the car.

Here's what I know.

1977 Corvette Orange (still has original paint)
Brown interior
L82 engine with 88,000 miles
4 speed manual transmission (I haven't checked to see which one)
Air conditioning (modified to accept new coolant)
Rear window defroster

So far I've noticed that the parking brake doesn't work, the carpets that were once brown have faded to green and there's some oil around the right bank valve cover (and the valve covers' paint is peeling).

My first three projects will be replacing the carpet, removing the valve covers, sandblasting / repainting, and replacing the gaskets and adjusting the brake.

I haven't taken the wheels off yet to check the suspension and brakes.

I changed the air filter and cleaned the carb (because that's so easy to access). I bought an oil filter and oil, but I haven't done that yet.

I should probably change the other fluids while I'm at it (transmission and rear end).

I've got a lot to learn and a lot to do.

If your like me now that you have it you'll know everything you can about it. I didn't know any of the problem areas before I bought it, I just got lucky. Have fun they are a blast to own (when they work) But its all part of the adventure.

T

Sounds like a good find and glad to hear about the projects you are planning. If I get time I'll see if I can hunt down some good sites. I'm sure others must have some good stuff bookmarked.

th_congrats_2.gif

And welcome to the forum....

good luck i owned an orange 1977 vette in 1978 the car was tight and looked great it was one of my favorites with light brown interior/tan and a factory yellow strip on side bought it at golden mile chev in scarbourough once u are done u will have a great driver
enjoy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.