Sep 29, 2017
St. Thomas
VetteCoins
I just installed a new hi torque starter from Proform on my 1976 L48 C3. When I installed it , it needed spacers to match up properly to the specifications but I managed to meet the specs of pinion to flywheel.

It also seemed like there was play between the bolts and the starter mount. When I went to start it, it was fine for a few minutes and then started to grind so something was not lining up.

The bolts came with the starter. Do they require bushings to have a snug fit to the starter? Anyone else ever have these issues. A little frustrating.

It’s pretty much common for shimming to be required for GM starters from my experience. Likely Ford and dodge too in this vintage but I’ve only got experience with the GM stuff.
Likely that’s all you need is a few shims. There has to be some C3 gurus on here that can definitively answer your question.
Hopefully you get that absolute answer soon 👍

It’s pretty much common for shimming to be required for GM starters from my experience. Likely Ford and dodge too in this vintage but I’ve only got experience with the GM stuff.
Likely that’s all you need is a few shims. There has to be some C3 gurus on here that can definitively answer your question.
Hopefully you get that absolute answer soon 👍

Yes. I don’t have a problem with shimming but I wasn’t expecting 1/2” of washers and the starter moving.

It sounds to me that the starter bolts are too long for this starter. Is the starter case shorter than the original? If you have the old starter I would pull out the new one and compare them.

I don’t think they too long but rather the mount on the starter is too short because of where the pinion needs to sit. Next step, yes, I will compare starters and take some photos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread