Featured Thread

Nate

I'm New Here
Mar 28, 2018
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2000 FRC
Hi there all, I just recently picked up my first Corvette, a black C5 FRC.

The car came from North Carolina, a buddy of mine and I drove down in my M6 converted G8 GT, picked up the vette and drove back via the Tail of the Dragon, which was a blast, well worth the extra day and a great way to start to get to know the new car. The vette is pretty well modified, it's got a Texas Speed cam, ported heads with beefed up springs etc, long tubes and a full exhaust with Borla tips, z06 wheels, a monster stg 2 clutch, tick master cylinder and c6 shifter as well as stiffer motor mounts and a few tweaks in the cabin like a double din head unit and led lights. She's pretty rowdy, you get plenty of LS sewing machine coming through in the cabin but so far it's been a hoot to drive (though the stock seats weren't exactly my best friends after 12+ hours in them on the drive back from NC).

I've been doing HPDE style track days and school weekends for the last few years now in the G8 and started getting my feet wet in time attack events last year and that is one of the main goals I have for this year with the vette. Would love to hear from track guys about tips and suggestions for tracking these things. I'm shopping for tires at the moment, whats on there are pretty past it, so if anyone has input on the score I'm all ears. The z06 OEM sizes seem to be rarer than unicorns so my current thinking is going up a size at each end to 275/40/17 front and 305/35/18 rear and looking at DOT r comps or track focused summers. Thinking r888r at the moment. Further towards the track side of things, whilst down picking up the car I also scooped up some low mile used LG gt2 coilovers which are soon to go on. Would also love to hear people's advice on seats. Does anyone use a CG Lock on the vettes? I have one on the G8 for track days but am a bit unsure how it'd work out on the C5's seatbelts. Longer term I'd like to look at doing seats and a harness for track work but that's probably down the road a bit and I already have the CG Lock...

Great to meet you all! Hopefully will start to see some of you out and about if/when the weather starts to fine up, particularly if you happen to be in the Durham region :)

The C5 in its new home
c-IZ7BIxBmiw7mZUPCxGm3OBz5CCEzf4PirRzsK-6FHlL2VleZj4KmLW1h05aSMM09kyjoWCXbHZRLjoyA8AFWz7psFk61xOJLijh-XA0uU4XDyTE78CDkUbwcucDfg5NjWTsQAHsSOivB6QsarBPZ8W4JteRhAXZOKHXO-EEmocGoJK2Qfz3nqAvxByQGCXjdv8u6ebX_StQGishT-ROd7ZmwdF0cM68u71niSHrDEkPLSm5RQ6k6aX27k9VFvUkk111qdaHx5i1xLVO3THzjqdQUWQz6dLQAdX6Zb3LgkwtgyO3kMybpl01QHDgoKc_f26eTZrWMOzIolL5fG7elaBP164SECaUO85yxeDqPS8FY_44sblj90Vlp7i-l6eJK3ilCxJKYAmLucSjWErwWzo9PTAQe5inVkkSdP8qvRjGnKEZBV6e4lzuBxA8GkWr6uJWvdKy52jXTTD2K3CRbBwt7YGQG6iMvooIUK6N4h5LeRpRy2GmiUuPoLyeZn_1w3frjUFTTzlc0xdjS7IwL2EjXCChdvgyCdMFAk_-uZ9bQR5daaOpOwIyW-MfUAcxX9G9L4BuLfG-AcJ72-KRvAJzqZtH65y50E9xuo=w1654-h1240-no
'

Picking up the C5 in Greenville, NC
8KZwGpkAqoHug0VWlcvSy5RGMV8C9KDNni6BAZo4PZqCTgfsj2k3qLqodpe1XCs294jC8m7_Z3GD-LVWt2Z0qXeV84C7gqqFEuql-OIvAE5qWGKD13j20sLS8hYZqTwcxN2dpfqlTqHIIvH4oeyn96v_6JK7bAC5sMfYkvomp_p6eIqY-cAuNRDLN05KY7NCM0r0kon6Enx-zpp6ESxzY2RtE-zMC_4BlvoKFBSB0w177DNwo52ecaTIqc_Z1XEjlUAlQtbFYwMb19ugit6Ibl_OZtSVY88QKp9zHBhR7ZKqCoa5ZFfEo8VM6h_-nZIHqOU2jX7TjTPMh2HSWbQxVE3uhtNPo_bQH6Opjmde01XcH4_yvCqePiwzEa19z8vcPElzFdNvMRuat0pesNiSOhHBdOv7DQEfSMHQsFuyH7sUo9L1ria2Wqnhc5n9qmg_99qN6BnMyr5yxqeMNLB-fHLZ-XhBoY79QN4TQVA7ZpJZvy-P52ZVRYB_NLQV0AxOJie-hdYWla-gCihwSxGOsDhQaYPWOKHF5BmFcfScI6MeIfwgP-eHLa9_W0Vq5UJK98hmCfWuYhwzGuYd79a2FMGMS2Pqktr-Gu4gQZE=w1654-h1240-no

Apparently these two are the REAL new owners....
PMFN_6sT6hTHlI3ftrsHmsDxtHJUC15jsgKcSA3wMqUhwxnHzLDAnq10xpBbZ9Y8SEehoenobVWw5a0PUUylxFBU3Ce67iT6myfMtxVV98WiFuK_BXDhRWFIoqCyA1d6icwdX-NktfR1gP85K8pueUpBUMUk94weYDqHZeL_nkFRUcguZYSamqwiN5R5yMZ2rbkejtleqmkjKzoaWqOfU-1ymW4Ol1eEtzTCrwoDoHBXqm3caYapoqN838jT53-9yyAhFjCc8E3VjPbSzSrsMB4_j1YBT4Ujhbd5SwajsYrCQZGQE_1TjNuAMkWWxqQZu4Z_ryoNAbaRmeaW6HCQysefGyPn-HqfB2pbFEzFR7pQY8HNwVyHDc3f3UuSnpvOuJx5MGL1TM232iaDU2tqSB9mY9mO_QUxakxaaSyMJQOK8CIlcU_8EgQAvsCMtCgGCr7HzQgN25pszL0XYYH-FYCzIiXYMfEl2XqwAWNHDzrJQqMkRbaH0WRkGxJCJ9n7ksv0hyC-ChfwW6ZOA5PdOn-YNaCszoIMAEh_FQcaJ5FddCEu6DPZj6cISnawn8OGWGOVxZl3ZN9cc5eQ7LWqmCMYFRtGgXtaEtPkjxQ=w1654-h1240-no

Welcome.
Fantastic car. You will enjoy it for sure. Plenty of experience on here to help you out with some of your questions too.

The colour is perfect.

Derek

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and the kind words!

Will have to keep my eyes open for you Z16Jim, we have some friends in Port Hope so are up that end of the world sometimes (though usually as a family so probably not so much in the vette).

Like the style Black 03 Z06 :)

On the track front, I don't have any footage of the vette in action yet really, because I haven't had a chance to get into action with it yet save the drive through the Tail of the Dragon but here's a bit of video of the G8 whose track duties it will be taking over. I usually have a go pro in the car for track days so can post up video of the vette in action once the season gets underway if it'll be of interest to anyone.

I've always liked the FRC, and came close to pulling the trigger on one myself. It's essentially a Z06 without the price tag, and what you save on price can be put into the engine to make it even better than a Z06, which is exactly what yours sounds like. My kinda car!

Welcome aboard, and I look forward to seeing and hearing more about your car and adventures.

Welcome ... with a young lady "navigator/owner" of my own ... watch the heads of potential "boy friends" start to turn ... ;)
All I say is "resumes required boys" :Shifty:

Welcome ... with a young lady "navigator/owner" of my own ... watch the heads of potential "boy friends" start to turn ... ;)
All I say is "resumes required boys" :Shifty:

Cheers SN-III, its a crazy thing to be looking down the barrel of for sure! There are days when it seems forever away and others when it feels like those days are right around the corner. Good luck to all of us :D

Everytime I see turn 2 at Mosport,I always think of Manfred Winklehock’s fatal crash in the Porsche 962 back in 85. Cool video Nate.

It's a heck of a thing that turn. They've made it a lot safer now with a much wider paved runoff but still, nothing clenches the old exhaust pipe like coming in a little hot on 2. There are so many walls!

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Welcome to the forum Nate! The car sounds fantastic! Not many or any FRC's on the board that I can recall...... Not too sure how many track C5's there are so you may be pioneering the way for us! :D
I would love to hear about the install of the GT2 Coil overs and what your impressions are as that is one of the mods on my list.....well, not really an immediate list, more like a far off dream list, but it's still a list. :D
I'm not sure if the FRC came with the "sports" seats or base seats. I haven't heard many positives about the base seats and the sport seats seem to leave a bit to be desired for anything track related. A great option are Corbeau A4's or finding seats from a Lancer Evolution if on a bit more of a budget. Some research obviously has to be done as some seats fit wider people than others.
Never used a CG lock. We used the latch and link style of lock on my cousin's race car.
And, you are correct about the tires for the C5Z's. There is a reason you see a lot of aftermarket rims on the Z06's as the tire choice is slightly limited.

Anyway, definitely post up video's of your car on the track! And some pics of the G8 as well!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.