Go for it. It's not permanent. The mylar or whatever the film is can be removed if you don't like it. Leave it on for at least a year. Once completed post a photo so Tinman can agree that it looks beautiful. I vote for gloss black to match the finish of the car. And when you do this, the hatch will really need some dark film too. Great looking car Kevin; I have always drooled over the C6 shape. I know what's coming - I did not drool on a C6.

Totally agree with Vanguard2001. What you're considering is reversible and you will be doing it for yourself..... Its always interesting to ask for opinions, but there's only one sure thing.... some will like it and others will not - no real biggie what others think, its all about personal taste. At the end of the day its your ride, your $$!
Go for it, have fun with your car...
Im just about to seek feedback on a pistol style shifter for the C7 I came across that I kind of like. Certainly different than the stock one.... looking forward for the feed back.... should be interesting...

Any thoughts of Black maybe being hard to keep spotless ... whattabout this guy? 😳
ECD035A2-AA55-41B5-824B-5179AF50F190.jpeg

Last edited:
Totally agree with Vanguard2001. What you're considering is reversible and you will be doing it for yourself..... Its always interesting to ask for opinions, but there's only one sure thing.... some will like it and others will not - no real biggie what others think, its all about personal taste. At the end of the day its your ride, your $$!
Go for it, have fun with your car...
Im just about to seek feedback on a pistol style shifter for the C7 I came across that I kind of like. Certainly different than the stock one.... looking forward for the feed back.... should be interesting...

Just make sure it is not loaded!

My C7 is black and oddly enough the rear doesn’t get dusty any quicker than the rest of the car. I assume this is due to the aerodynamics. For sure I expected it to be constantly dirty but I just isn’t.
My black C6Z was the same which was a great surprise and part of the reason I was happily able to choose black for the next 2 C7s.
👍

Well, you must be doing something right, because I've never known a person who owned a black vehicle that wasn't constantly complaining about it being dirty, but those vehicles didn't get babied like yours does. Taking really good care of it is absolutely necessary! Maybe I need to find out what wax you are using, because I get a lot of dust on the back of my C6. Or maybe my four by four-inch pipes could be a contributing factor.

My C5 gets more dust sitting in the recesses of the tail lights than anywhere else on the car. I bought a really nice overpriced gasket kit for the tail lights. That makes washing easier. The flush mount kit would be even better but I don't like the look.

Put the corner of your chamois in a "U" shape (I use the Absorber), and you can tuck it deep under the taillights. I have the same problem with the Trans Am. The water drainage from the hatch routes water through there and the water pools under the lights. Hit the gas, and it drips all down the back of your freshly dried car. I do this every time I wash. I do this with my mirrors as well, because that is another place that water likes to sit.

To the OP -
Lots of other comments going on in here, so I'm just adding my extra cents. I have black wheels on my car, but mine isn't silver. Black wheels is a difficult thing to pull off on a car, if you ask me it totally depends on the car. Black wheels look pretty damn good on a silver Audi, but they look ridiculous on a silver Beetle. Oh wait, anything looks ridiculous on a Volkswagen Beetle, especially the newest 'new' one. Still, hopefully you get my point. Sometimes black looks good on silver, and sometimes it doesn't. And even if you think it looks good, somebody else might not.

Polished and chrome always looks good. I don't particularly like chrome myself, especially on new cars with no chrome anywhere else, but I still have to say that even if I wouldn't do it to my own car, it looks good.

Well, you must be doing something right, because I've never known a person who owned a black vehicle that wasn't constantly complaining about it being dirty, but those vehicles didn't get babied like yours does. Taking really good care of it is absolutely necessary! Maybe I need to find out what wax you are using, because I get a lot of dust on the back of my C6. Or maybe my four by four-inch pipes could be a contributing factor.

Put the corner of your chamois in a "U" shape (I use the Absorber), and you can tuck it deep under the taillights. I have the same problem with the Trans Am. The water drainage from the hatch routes water through there and the water pools under the lights. Hit the gas, and it drips all down the back of your freshly dried car. I do this every time I wash. I do this with my mirrors as well, because that is another place that water likes to sit.

To the OP -
Lots of other comments going on in here, so I'm just adding my extra cents. I have black wheels on my car, but mine isn't silver. Black wheels is a difficult thing to pull off on a car, if you ask me it totally depends on the car. Black wheels look pretty damn good on a silver Audi, but they look ridiculous on a silver Beetle. Oh wait, anything looks ridiculous on a Volkswagen Beetle, especially the newest 'new' one. Still, hopefully you get my point. Sometimes black looks good on silver, and sometimes it doesn't. And even if you think it looks good, somebody else might not.

Polished and chrome always looks good. I don't particularly like chrome myself, especially on new cars with no chrome anywhere else, but I still have to say that even if I wouldn't do it to my own car, it looks good.

Any disparaging comments made about black wheels were made in jest. As an old criminal I was about to arrest for despicable acts said to me when I asked his motives “What ever turns your crank Sonny”😁 Actually gloss black wheels or black chrome on the right car are starting to appeal to me.

To the OP -

I use a spray on wax and am not very fussy about it actually. I think it a Mother’s product. Honestly don’t remember at the moment. My car gets a lot of quick detail juice sprayed on it too.
Fully admit the car has been washed way more times than it’s been fueled too.
And I do complain about “black cars” constantly. (Although secretly love every second of it) 😂
Funny thing is I happen to like black cars and black wheels. The wheels stay clean due to the carbon ceramic brakes. Normal driving virtually no dust. Wouldn’t matter what color I owned... it would be obessesivly cleaned so maybe that’s why I’m not see the dust building up on the rear 😂

• Agree
Reactions: Hotrodron
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.