wildmandon ... first off you have a beautiful car. I just went thru the issue of a different VIN number on the tag on birdcage vs what was stamped on the frame for my '67. For me this arose since I had to find a replacement frame for my '67 as it's frame was shot. The frame numbers for both frames were stamped in the place as shown in the picture above that XFIRE82 posted. I hadn't given this any thought until someone asked me how I was going to handle it. I contacted the auto fraud department here in Lexington Kentucky, USA. They checked the replacement frame out for being stolen and said it was clear but said a Corvette with that VIN number had just been registered in Indiana USA. That made sense to me because this frame became available when a company in Indiana USA purchased the body off of that frame to make a RESTOMOD, and they used the VIN number in the birdcage of that body. They told me to just be sure and if my car was ever sold to make sure the buyer knew it had a replacement frame and give also give them that new frame number. I have been told that other states here in the USA have much stricter rules but they really seem to boil down to making sure there is no intent to pass the car off has having it's original frame.

Thanks. There is a lot on this car that has made me realize its made up of more than one car. When I had the body off, I found out that it was hit both in the rear and the front at some time. It is probably a rebuilt wreck made up with what could be found. I guess it will never be a numbers matching valuable car, but I fell in love with it and I will make it the best "hodgepodge" old Vette than I can make. I will never sell it so it should not cause any problems until my kids get it when I die ☺. Its licensed as a 1965 so thats what I will call it. I got the 396 engine and trans installed in it now. Just tying up all the loose ends before I crank it. I got the headlight capsules working. Now to find some headlight buckets so I can put some bulbs in them.... gettin' there.

Don't fret about that Don, if it's fun to drive and you enjoy it ... you're ahead of the game in my book. I bought a used '70 Coupe that I loved driving ... lots of fun but the fiber optics for that year, that monitored the outside lights, weren't working for the taillights. When I investigated I found the rear optics were coiled up in a nice bundle at the back but not plugged into the taillight housings. The reason was there was no hole to plug them into. The date code on the taillight lens indicated they were '73 lenses. I was wondering why someone switch them all out when there was no apparent repair damage at the back. I found out when I removed the seats to put new front carpeting in. There was a 6" fiberglass patch across the entire floor. When I removed the inside trim molding for the T-tops the center bar had also been welded just above the floor patch. Someone had replaced the whole rear section with a '73 back. They did a great job as there were no obvious issues with the body, leaks or drivability but it was a shocker for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread