not2melo

High RPM Poster
Feb 8, 2009
Greg in Toronto/Gtown
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5 Z51
With a new cam install on a LS series engine is there a break-in period on the cam?

I always remember hearing about driving the car very conservative for 500+ miles
while the cam seats in before you can step on it.
Does this still pertain to our vehicles and is so how may KM would you put on
the car before saying its somewhat broken in.

I know our cars can run with a cam swap and no tune but would you suggest to do
the tune immediately after the cam swap or run the cam in a bit ?KM then tune the car?

With a new cam install on a LS series engine is there a break-in period on the cam?

I always remember hearing about driving the car very conservative for 500+ miles
while the cam seats in before you can step on it.
Does this still pertain to our vehicles and is so how may KM would you put on
the car before saying its somewhat broken in.

I know our cars can run with a cam swap and no tune but would you suggest to do
the tune immediately after the cam swap or run the cam in a bit ?KM then tune the car?

Greg that is true about the break in . You should take easy for about 500km not miles and allow the cam to break in . It does not make too much difference when the car get's tuned . Even a big can car can run without a tune . Many have put in a cam and tuned a few months later . Mind you the fuel consumption would be pretty bad and you would not have the full potential of the cam that was just installed.

Thx
[email protected]

I thought there was no break in on a Roller cam...only on a flat tappet cam

Partialy true . There is no real break in on a roller cam , but you should still go easy for about the first 500 or so km . It is important to remember as well that if you are going to double springs , becuase of their stiffness they can tend to be brittle when cold . So proper engine warm-up is highly suggested as well as a short break in period for all your new componnents to settle in.

[email protected]

Yes, thanks guys for the info, I do remember something about springs and them having a breakin
period on the high preasure ones? I will go easy on her for the first 1000km then get it tuned in
and then let loose. Should be a great summer ahead of cruising fun! :coolgleam:

No breakin period is required with a roller cam-that's only with flat tappet cams. I disagree with the tune part. Your cam has certain amount of overlap which will make the car run rich-if the VE table is not tuned properly for it the excess fuel can cause cylinder washing and plug up your cats and foul your sparkplugs. Cylinder wash is the worst thing that can happen-it will contaminate your oil and kill your bearings leading to a premature death of your engine.

Yes, thanks guys for the info, I do remember something about springs and them having a breakin
period on the high preasure ones? I will go easy on her for the first 1000km then get it tuned in

You will be fine Greg , as I have EFI live and can adjust the VE tables as needed .

Thx
[email protected]

You don't have to go easy on the springs fro the first 1000 km Greg, just let them get up to running temperature before going WOT! We never put any miles on the crazy FI/NA stuff we build-we let it warm up and go WOT-It's the best way to break in stuff.

Just make sure to check the installed height and pushrod length-I've seen it off quite a bit-the typical 7.4" pushrod could cost you power it's not the right size.

:canada:

You don't have to go easy on the springs fro the first 1000 km Greg, just let them get up to running temperature before going WOT! We never put any miles on the crazy FI/NA stuff we build-we let it warm up and go WOT-It's the best way to break in stuff.

Just make sure to check the installed height and pushrod length-I've seen it off quite a bit-the typical 7.4" pushrod could cost you power it's not the right size.

:canada:

Very true eb02z06,I do the same with all my work,just bring them to running temp,then to the dyno we go.:canada: