Aug 22, 2010
kingston, on
VetteCoins
Car
hey guys,
I am new to this site, I am looking at buying a 1975 corvette, the car sat on a concrete slab under a tarp for the last 10 years. I have never owned a vette before, I am going to look at it on monday or tuesday, what are some of the things I should be looking for. he says the car is 100% there, he just wants to get rid of it, it is for sale for 500.

500 could be a steal or the worst 500 ever.. chance are that the only thing left of the frame are quite possible the components that were bolted to it.... OR... it could be a great buy... sounds like a $25k project car though...

Just my $0.02...

Good Luck on the car purchase.

I always check out all the fluids, check the oil for signs of water and make sure the oil does not have a burnt smell.
Look under the front end for damage, this will tell the story on how the car was taken car of.

Best of luck! Lets us know how this go.

I agree with everyone so far. there will be more than $500 in parts for sure. It is possible that it is a good car to start a project with but it sounds to me like it is going to be just a parts car.

T

Your best bet would be to take someone with you who knows C3's.

These cars that have been sitting for an extended period of time, are very prone to frame rot.

Chances are you will need to change all the lines ie: brake, fuel, electrical.

As others have said, it sounds like a project car at best.

Remember you get what you pay for.

Good luck.:canada:

hey guys,
I am new to this site, I am looking at buying a 1975 corvette, the car sat on a concrete slab under a tarp for the last 10 years. I have never owned a vette before, I am going to look at it on monday or tuesday, what are some of the things I should be looking for. he says the car is 100% there, he just wants to get rid of it, it is for sale for 500.

SOOOOO did you look at it ?
And what did you find ?:canada:

Any updates? That is great to hear you are getting into Corvettes! Hopefully this one will make you enjoy them more and not drive you away. Best of luck! We are always here to help!

One thing to consider is if there's a Corvette shop nearby, you could buy the car and flip it over to them. They'll pay more than $500.00 just to part it out. But then again, you need that shop nearby.

Being that the car is 35 years old and sitting outside for the past 10, I must agree with other comments here... there's probably not much left of the frame. I'm currently restoring my second 1980 Vette. The car spent it's entire life on Vancouver Island before I bought it in 2009. The frame was wafer thin. Cost me $7200.00 to buy a used frame, have some minor weld repairs done to it and then powder coated. Sounds like this '75 won't be much of a driver; the ol' girl is ripe for a restoration.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.