May 31, 2013
Newfoundland
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Vert
After googling, I have found a lot of information on modding LS1's for more performance, however, I may have found *too* much literature, particularly in the detailed areas of what mods to do together/in order. I'm swamped with particulars which mean very little to me...

Long story short, I'd like to begin modding my '01 vert. I've owned it for less than a week, squealed some tires, got a sunburn, had a blast, and now I'm looking into adding a bit more bark & bite to this beauty.

A little vehicle history:

-2001 convertible, very clean
-just broke 80,000 km (Almost 50,000 miles?)
-CAI
-Few odds & ends, like projector lights, LED tails, stereo head unit, amp, etc
-G90 3.15 ratio axle option
-FE1 soft ride suspension
-paid $16,000 for it last week, online market is roughly $22,000 for these in my area with much higher mileage.
-Located in NL, southwest coast.

I'm looking for advice as to where to start...

I don't think my goals are tremendous, I just want it to sound very aggressive, and be making 500ish rwhp/fptq. A fairly formidable street machine, that turns even more heads than it does now :D . I have fairly limited mechanical knowledge (although not shy with a wrench), other than routine maintenance, and would have a garage install nearly anything (only basic hand tools at my disposal, no lift in my garage, etc). I'm not afraid to put a few G's in it. The closest engine building shop is on the other side of the island, about an 8 hour drive away.

My opening question is:

Should I start by getting the breathing out of the way, with a catback (and headers if necessary), then call up the shop to order engine internals, and drop the car off to be built? Maybe order the parts myself once I know what i need, then just get them to install the stuff? And how do I know where to begin, part-wise? (i.e. cam, heads, intake, whatever i need)

I know i'm asking a lot here, but as a younger vette owner, I would greatly appreciate some guidance from the older fellas. Trying to go about this in the smartest way possible.

Thanks a bunch.

If you're serious about 500rwhp you're looking at either a supercharger or severely modified engine. Both of these are a major investment and way beyond bolt ons and exhaust. You're also getting close to affecting the rest of your drive train.

My suggestion is that you consult a professional and that means sending a PM to Nasty98 our resident vette doctor with a pristine reputation.

My guess is that you really want 400rwhp and trust me, that's a seriously fast car. This can be had at a fraction of the price of 500rwhp

Welcome to the community.

HLN A55 is bang on in what he says. you are also correct to first concentrate on getting the engine to breathe. opening up existing power by making it inhale and exhale better should always be the starting point. is there a local club or organization that can recommend a trusted shop ? check with nasty98 about ordering and shipping parts from him.

I've got an '04 convertible, just hit 30,000k. I've gone with LG headers, Borla stingers, Vararam intake a tune and lighting upgrades. The car is very responsive and a LOT of fun to drive. I have 3:15 gears, lower may be an option next year.

If you want 500hp as has been suggested the easiest option would be supercharging. I suspect to do it well along with everything else that comes with it you should be thinking of a $10k build budget.

Try to have a plan so you are not installing things that will need to get replaced as you continue your upgrades.

Good luck enjoy your car. That's what it's all about.

Welcome to the Forum!

Definitely good questions to ask. I doubt you could go wrong with headers and a cat-back....2001...you already have the LS6 intake and what CAI do you have? Those are great starting points as suggested.

If you want reliable, good horsepower, Manny (Nasty98) is the guy to talk to. I've only ever heard great things about him and he takes very good care of his customers. He'll lead you in the direction that is the best way to go about obtaining your goals.

is there a local club or organization that can recommend a trusted shop ?

Sadly, no... At least, not that I'm aware of. There's really no one in this area who has any modded performance rides... Or, really any performance rides for that matter. Certainly no one I would trust to work on my car.

This is the only engine shop on the island that i was able to find with google. At least it's a brick & mortar business, and not some backyard dude...

If you want 500hp as has been suggested the easiest option would be supercharging. I suspect to do it well along with everything else that comes with it you should be thinking of a $10k build budget.

I was thinking along that price range as well, for a blower. Don't know if i want to go forced induction just yet... The car's power & handling already far surpass my driving skills, haha. It will lay some nice rubber in stock form, coming from experience! :D :D :D

Why I want more power, you may be thinking? Well, I guess I don't really have to answer that. :rofl:

Who doesn't?!

Perhaps 400rwhp/trq would be enough for me, for a while at least.

Is there a rough price range I could expect for that sort of grunt? And Could i keep my stock drivetrain with that, or do i need a built trans & such?

what CAI do you have?

I can't recall the name of it, but I know it wasn't very expensive. Was purchased on Ebay last spring, by the previous owner (my father). I'll attempt to attach a pic of it shown under the hood, if that might help. It's a polished alloy "Y" pipe with rubber seals & clamps, and a filter on either end, which replaces the stock airbox. It uses the stock duct going over the radiator shroud.

Is it a bad idea to use this one?

http://i43.tinypic.com/eb3gb8.jpg

If you want reliable, good horsepower, Manny (Nasty98) is the guy to talk to. I've only ever heard great things about him and he takes very good care of his customers. He'll lead you in the direction that is the best way to go about obtaining your goals.

He seems to be well regarded in the community, I'll have to touch base.

He posts here and his website is:
Dasilva Motorsports

I'm sure Manny, or quite a few of our members could tell you what you need to do to get 400RWH out of a C5 LS1.

My advice, which I rarely follow, would be to start with headers, catback, CAI and a tune. That may be enough to keep you happy. You'll have the sound and some respectable horsepower.

Good luck.

Looks like a fine set up for a CIA to me. If not going forced induction, I always recommend a Vararam CIA as it is the only one I am aware of that pulls fresh air from the front of the car as it uses the openings where the fog lights are to pull air, however, the set up you have looks good too! Good luck with the build and keep us posted on the direction you go! We love seeing people mod their Corvettes. The reason why you want more horse power is good enough for us!

- Vararam
- Headers/X-pipe/cat-back
- 3200 stall converter
- 3.42 or 3.73 gears
- a real good tune

You may not see many hp gains with these mods on a dyno, but trust me, the car will be much faster. On a regular street tire I was doing low 12's with this setup.

We can certainly look after your performance / paint and any other Corvette needs .

Many people from all across Canada and the send me their car's to have Dasilva Motorsports build it into their ultimate dream :canada:

Call us time 866-992-3752

We can make your dreams come true .....:canada:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.