67HEAVEN

Regular
2 You're 10
Aug 23, 2010
Southcentral Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1967 BBC coupe
For those of you old enough to remember Centennial Year in Canada, this will bring back some memories.

For those of you too young to remember, have a look at what was going on in the "Summer of Love"....the greatest year for music and cars when Canada celebrated 100 years.......1967....67HEAVEN (<<------ Did you click on it?)

:D

Last edited:
I wasnt even born yet...but interesting nevertheless. It still amazes me that in 1967 you could already buy a Vette producing 435hp from factory and no fancy technology...

Is this HP net or gross?

Last edited:
Is this HP net or gross?

Gross, but the L-71 wasn't the champ by any means. Although factory-rated at 430hp, the real champ was easily 560hp. However, they were never advertised, and only 20 were built. So, how do you spell champ? L-88, that's how.

If enough interest surfaces, I'll catch people up on what 12.5:1 compression was really all about in 1967.
:D

2nspcar.jpg

Interest here!!!!!! I want to hear it! If my Chevelle shakes the floor and rear view mirror with open headers I can only imagine what a good ol fashion high compression engine would sound like.

PS. Not around for '67 but my car was and it tells me a bit about it every time I fire it up.

Wouldnt you need higher octane gas with that compression?

:agree:

As a matter of fact, the L-88s came with a console sticker that stated a requirement for fuel with a research octane number of at least 103.

Good luck finding that just around the corner. :rofl:

By the way, has anyone found all the underhood differences in the '67 L-88 photo above compared to lesser big blocks of the same vintage? Let's start with that big black canister (with attached tube) sticking out of the driver's side valve cover. It's called the road draft tube. All it did was dump partially burned fuel gases onto the road surface rather than recycling them through the engine. The L-88s had no PCV valve and were therefore not legal for road use.

They also could not be ordered with a heater, defroster or radio.

There were many mandatory go-fast required options, however, but we'll leave that for another day. :D

One more little thing to ponder. In 2007, one of the original twenty '67 L-88s recently didn't reach reserve at a RM Auction. Apparently, $1,550,00.00 wasn't enough. :eek:

Oh, and no air conditioning allowed either. :rofl:

Okay, one more tease..........

Another online source said:
......had a chance to witness the uncorked raw power of the L-88 at speed. As Bill tells it, "When that L-88 hit the high bank (at Daytona), everyone stopped what they were doing to watch."

Don't you wish you were there?

:rolleyes:

The position of the car in the first two pictures is different than the third! Who is the lucky person that gets to drive that! Nice car! Too bad someone put 20225 miles on it. Maybe if they held it under 10000, it might have been worth something.:rofl:

The position of the car in the first two pictures is different than the third! Who is the lucky person that gets to drive that!

The car has been displayed at the museum more than once. :coolgleam:

Nice car! Too bad someone put 20225 miles on it. Maybe if they held it under 10000, it might have been worth something.:rofl:

The dash photo is from a different '67 L-88. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.