To get back on topic. :D

Change the battery yet Garry?

And to go off topic: :D I would like the old and new. Love my Chevelle but I can't afford to drive it as much as the Corvette. As for safety, well, there is a little room for improvement. I don't race it because that steering column lines up pretty good with the center of my chest and with no shoulder belts, that is my secondary point of stopping me. :D

I'm not sure when they started with the collapsing steering column but our '69 Chevelles had them along with shoulder belts. Beats getting speared by your own car. Many years ago, a friend was in an accident with a '56 Oldsmobile. He was thrown clear and survived with minor injuries. The steering column was driven right into the seat back. The new cars are definitely more survivable in a crash with all the crush zones engineered into the chassis. One problem insurance companies are seeing is people surviving the crash but with legs mangled beyond repair. The air bags do a pretty good job of protecting the upper body. When the stability control or whatever starts applying individual brakes on the highway, it makes a person wonder which cars are safer. It's making me a little nervous. It's been going on since the C5s and GM still doesn't seem to have a handle on what is actually going on.

Last edited:
Sorry I have not been following this thread.

Here are some updates. I took the car to have the #2 FOB programmed. Somehow those idiots at my local dealer managed to disconnect the Dashtronix. It was frustrating enough to have them program the FOB and Colin, in a previous discussion of FOB costs, while it was only $165 for the FOB and key and getting the key cut it was subsequently another $103 for the programming so bingo there is your $260!

However, I now have full control over all the normal displays in the DIC which is nice, changed my settings back to metric etc. I'm not sure how accurate the average fuel economy data is but this car, and you'd better be sitting down for this, on the old tank of fuel (including my autocrossing on Sunday) and also so far today on the fresh tank of fuel has been turning in 6.0 l/100 km which for guys my, Colin, Wayne and Tony works out to.......45 mpg! Is it at all possible? I've heard before and experienced with my old 280ZX that mileage improved from moding the car - headers etc. but I mean when i first saw the number 6.0/100 km I thought this is better than my Sentra SER! So any comments on this??

The "Service Stability Control System" light has not come on since yesterday. It has never stayed off for this long since it started coming on two plus weeks ago. Another of those WTF moments........???????? I sure hope it stays off for at least another week as I have another autocross in Fort St John and this time I'll push it a bit harder. I was always having thie image of the stability control system applying either the right or left brake pads due to a problem with the steering wheel position sensor. So if it cleared itself or what I don't know but I mean the previous 3 or 4 days the light was on pretty well all the time and as soon as the car engine would be running.

And so no Riley, I haven't changed the battery. But to be honest if I come across an Optima Yellow Top with a Reserve Capacity of 120 it will probably be coming home with me.

And that is about all that is new. Did you guys have a chance to check out my videos, see my stall at the beginning and my spin??!!

Cheers,

Garry

What? What? Stall and spin? I watched your video's but must have missed that one!!!

My service active handling has now been coming on steadily the past couple days. Funny thing is that it started happening after I had my car at the dealer to replace my coolant overflow tank. Coincidence? :rofl: I just turn my AH/TC off in the meantime as I am not actually doing anything spirited with the car. Haven't pulled the codes yet or anything as it was pretty sporadic but now it's becoming more consistent. My guess is the steering wheel position sensor as that seems to be the theme. However, before I get too excited, I still have to clean my grounds and other stuff before tearing into the car.

Good morning Riley,

How interesting. In a conversation with teh service manager at the dealer yesterday he mentioned the same problem., It was not with the connector on another Corvette this issue came up on but apparently the steering wheel sensor was out of calibration. Who ever know that could happen!

Yes, I think it is in #2 video that I stalled the car, lucky before I crossed the timer so it did not start the clock yet. The spin, well 180 degrees anyway is one of two backward facing video clips.

I sure hope that the airport in Ft St John is going to be fun. Here is the runway with a previous course:

July 17 autocross FSJ RX7 - YouTube

A slalom looks like it might be fun.

I hope your Service Active Handling issue is not a serious one. Car electronics issues sort of scare me, diagnosing and repairing.

I made it through day two yesterday without the light coming back on. Sure strange.

Cheers,

Garry

Just in some research, I found out the sensor is no longer available and there isn't a new one hiding within the borders of North America. So, unless cleaning grounds works, my car will no longer have active handling or traction control. Good times! :banghead:

I'll have to go through those vids again!! :D

Good afternoon Keith, Riley,

Are you serious? No sensor for a C5???? You're kidding me...........what was GM thinking??

Day three, just back from a trip to Peace River (saw the red C5 again). The dash is clear of any warning lights............still overwhelmed by a feeling of WTF and will it ever occur again? And of course if it did if I could get parts now or in a year or two. Maybe I ought to order a spare in preparation for replacement in the future.

Did you try eBay off hand?

Cheers,

Garry

Others have tried eBay. Might be able to find a used one but it has to come with the column as I think a tab snaps if you try to remove it. One guy said he's been on the search for 2 years so I don't see much hope in finding one. It is what it is and I'm glad I can still drive the car.

Once I am back home I look forward to watching the vids!

Good morning everyone,

Just an update, it has been maybe a week plus, 750 km added and the "Service Stability Control System" light has not come one again. Weird or what I ask you??

Next possible autocross Oct 1st so maybe I'll puish it a bit more without that darn "ding ding ding" and light appearing event taking place!

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.