Jul 10, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 Convertible
Province
BC
I had my C8 first maintenance service done in June when I was still in California, and this month I just moved to BC with my car.

Today, I received a call from my California dealer, says when I had first maintenance, they forgot to replace the transmission filter.

Now I will have to go to local dealers in Canada and hope they will make it up for free. But I also heard the warranty isn't covered when you left the USA, so I am a bit worried.

I got to say I really appreciated my dealer in California trying to let me know and make it up, but also kind of feeling screwed up. 😥

Hey! Two thoughts;

(1) Document ALL of this with GM. I had a similar dealership-related issue, got in touch with their dedicated customer service line for Corvette owners and they were great about the whole thing. This, simply to cover anything warranty wise should it ever get to that point.

The sooner you share with them everything the dealer told you—preferably you have evidence from the dealer (email or otherwise)—the better off you’ll be.

(2) Depending on how much driving you’ve done since, assuming they did the DCT flush and just forgot the filter change (but left a filter in), I suspect you’ll be alright. But hence why point (1) is important should they inform you of anything on inspection—hold that first dealer liable.

Even if your warranty is voided, doesn’t stop you from calling GM and pleading your case given this specific work was mishandled “in” warranty. Ultimately their marketing language needs to be firm (re; transfer between countries), but on a case-by-case basis you can make a reasonable argument (one would assume) and you lose nothing by trying.

Last edited:
I had my C8 first maintenance service done in June when I was still in California, and this month I just moved to BC with my car.

Today, I received a call from my California dealer, says when I had first maintenance, they forgot to replace the transmission filter.

Now I will have to go to local dealers in Canada and hope they will make it up for free. But I also heard the warranty isn't covered when you left the USA, so I am a bit worried.

I got to say I really appreciated my dealer in California trying to let me know and make it up, but also kind of feeling screwed up. 😥
What is the current milage on your car? What first maintenance was done on your car in June exactly? The DCT filter change is due at 7500 miles and they top up the fluid at that time. Shops charge 3.5 hours labor to get access to do this job. You need to find out if your warranty will be honored in Canada, and if not, you will have to drive to Lynden, Washington to get your car serviced which I think is the closest dealership to the border.

What is the current milage on your car? What first maintenance was done on your car in June exactly? The DCT filter change is due at 7500 miles and they top up the fluid at that time. Shops charge 3.5 hours labor to get access to do this job. You need to find out if your warranty will be honored in Canada, and if not, you will have to drive to Lynden, Washington to get your car serviced which I think is the closest dealership to the border.
Its around 3600 miles, I can't go back to US because I don't have a visa, and that's why I moved to Canada XD

Hey! Two thoughts;

(1) Document ALL of this with GM. I had a similar dealership-related issue, got in touch with their dedicated customer service line for Corvette owners and they were great about the whole thing. This, simply to cover anything warranty wise should it ever get to that point.

The sooner you share with them everything the dealer told you—preferably you have evidence from the dealer (email or otherwise)—the better off you’ll be.

(2) Depending on how much driving you’ve done since, assuming they did the DCT flush and just forgot the filter change (but left a filter in), I suspect you’ll be alright. But hence why point (1) is important should they inform you of anything on inspection—hold that first dealer liable.

Even if your warranty is voided, doesn’t stop you from calling GM and pleading your case given this specific work was mishandled “in” warranty. Ultimately their marketing language needs to be firm (re; transfer between countries), but on a case-by-case basis you can make a reasonable argument (one would assume) and you lose nothing by trying.
Thanks for the detailed info, I will check out with the local dealer and GM customer service!

After my last encounter with the dealer where they overfilled the crankcase with oil and used a Channellock plyers to tighten the oil filter I'm kind of scared to have them touch it again.

Attachments

• IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 35
  • NEW FILTER.jpg
    NEW FILTER.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Wow
Reactions: C SEVEN GS Bob
I have posted on this forum before that starting with 2023 model year vehicles Canadian cars get 2 oil changes and 1 DCT filter change and transmission fluid top off at the time of their first oil change. If you service advisor doesn’t believe you reference GM Home Office Letter of November 7, 2022 # 2022-601R02.
That should take care of any problems the dealer gives you!

Reactions: Noreplacement

Unbelievable. I get 2nd service this Oct.: got car 2022 Z51 3LT HTC Oct. 2021. I was told to give them lots of notice so they can order in the DCT cannister they have to replace when they do the free flush. If not done at or before 2nd year it will cost me $750.00. Good luck!!!

Wow! thank you for the info. I paid $900 on my first C8 to do the DCT filter change.
Love the color of your car. Was what I was going to order if I had a chance. Why did you have to pay anything? You must have got it done earlier than needed. I believe the 1st one should be done at 12,000km or so?

I have posted on this forum before that starting with 2023 model year vehicles Canadian cars get 2 oil changes and 1 DCT filter change and transmission fluid top off at the time of their first oil change. If you service advisor doesn’t believe you reference GM Home Office Letter of November 7, 2022 # 2022-601R02.
That should take care of any problems the dealer gives you!
That is what I have for my 2023.
To the original poster, I would not worry about it. You are going to have to do the procedure again anyway, at 7500 miles as per GMs recommendation.
I will be in the same boat, having too few kms when they do my free DCT filter change. In my case though I will likely change the filter myself at the 12500km mark.

That is what I have for my 2023.
To the original poster, I would not worry about it. You are going to have to do the procedure again anyway, at 7500 miles as per GMs recommendation.
I will be in the same boat, having too few kms when they do my free DCT filter change. In my case though I will likely change the filter myself at the 12500km mark.
My dealer service manager told me via email that the next DCT service is at 36,000 km and again there after at 36,000km. It will take me forever to put 36,000km on my car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.