xlr8r

Power User
Apr 23, 2012
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
So, my engine light is on.

Two subsequent tests show that the problem lies with my catalytic converters. I know these are expensive, so I'm thinking about getting new exhaust altogether. My dilemma is this:

1. Get long-tube headers, and take the cats out altogether--I'm in Alberta, so this is ok by definition of the law. Can I do this and have the headers just bolt-on to the rest of the system--just take the cats right out?

2. Get an X-pipe with cats to bolt on to current exhaust with the idea of builing on it later (on both ends). I guess that means down the road I'd get headers, and either a cat-back or axel-back system.

3. Get a complete bolt on system (headers, pipe, and muffler/tips). Some of the websites I'm reading say their systems aren't for hiways etc? Is this because there's no cats with the system, or it's a racing exhaust built specifically for the track?

What other options include the cats that I am missing?:confused:

I want to increase the power if I can, but I'd also like the sound to be a little more beligerent if possible.:rofl:

So far, I've looked at Billy Boat, Magnaflow, Corsa, and Borla. Am I missing out on other options? Money is an obect, but I can do a couple grand to get started in the next while. I'd rather keep it to $1,000. I've built a fence and landscaped my house--not to mention I just bought the 'Vette.

I would have waited for the summer, but the current cats being shot are a cause for concern. I fear wrecking the engine because of potential back-pressure issues. The car has 87,xxx kilometers, so ther's a lot of life left if I treat her nicely!

Thanks for all your input--discuss!!

Last edited:
The headers are your best solution here .

My LG Street Series package comes complete with 1 3/4 primary headers /high flow cats & x-pipe , all for $1850.00 shipped to your door .

The cat-back systems are not goiung to give you anymore power , just a different and louder sound .

The headers are your best solution here .

My LG Street Series package comes complete with 1 3/4 primary headers /high flow cats & x-pipe , all for $1850.00 shipped to your door .

The cat-back systems are not goiung to give you anymore power , just a different and louder sound .

I agree as with everything I've read it's the headers that add power, the cat back just adds sound. Plus, it's Manny giving the advise so how can I even dare think of disagreeing?:D I've heard really good things about GHL but have never heard them in person.

Just a little warning that, here in Ontario, it is illegal to remove ANY smog equipment. Last fall I put the complete smog pump system back on our '69 Chevelle. It was either that or watch over my shoulder all the time for the MOT boys. The fines can get hefty too for each missing item. The MOT guys can and do pull you over on the side of the road and do a visual inspection. Any suspicions and they send you in for a fine tooth comb inspection. You have a 2005 LS2 Corvette engine in your rat rod then you will need all the 2005 smog equipment that would have come on that engine. Once you have corrected the problems they will give you a certificate to keep in your car showing that it is legal. It gets complicated and not worth the hassle.

What if you put a solid lifter 1965 365hp 327 in your 2005?:D

When did the smog equipment come in? I don't see a lick of smog equipment on my 66 Chevelle. I can practically hear the baby seals coughing every time I fire it up.

What if you put a solid lifter 1965 365hp 327 in your 2005?:D

When did the smog equipment come in? I don't see a lick of smog equipment on my 66 Chevelle. I can practically hear the baby seals coughing every time I fire it up.

If memory serves, I had pollution control like pcv valves and air injection into the exhaust on my late 60's rides but things started getting more serious with air pumps and cats in the early 70's.
At that time it pretty much killed horsepower and performance until the '80's when they figured out how to tune properly for cleaner air and efficiency and of course fuel injection.

I'm guessing but pretty sure you'd be facing the same pollution control parameters as on the '65 engine if that's what's used, which of course is very little by today's standards.

C.

In California they had smog pumps as early as 1966 on some cars. Around here, I believe only the solid lifter Chevys got the smog pump in '69. Don't think you are going to fool the MOT guys. You won't win that one, even playing stupid. I still think it is just a money grab. They didn't bother us for forty+ years and all of a sudden, without warning, they are onto us.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.