Nov 22, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2001 C5 Corvette
Province
ON
A few weeks ago I took it for a long drive. The engine began to miss and white smoke poured out the exhaust with strong gas smell. Garage checked and found injectors not working properly. Put can of Seefoan (injector cleaner) in and after a few minuets it cleared right up. Has been working great up until a few days ago and came down with the same thing. This time Seafoam did not work. I cleaned and tested injectors and all are fire-ring. Checked plugs all look the same and clean, replaced spark plug wires, pumped fuel through to make sure it is clean with no contaminants and erased codes. The white fog smells of gasoline not antifreeze and I only have 50K on the Corvette so why would it work Ok and then a couple of weeks later start up again. Then frustrated went out to start it up and ran great no smoke. I have run out of solutions that is why I think I need a mechanics expertise.

My suggestion is to first remove the oil cap and check for white sludge on the underside of it. Then connect an ODB2 scanner and monitor the current & historical misfire counters to see if they are 0. I use a low cost Tech2 clone.

After that, my suggesion is to put a bottle of Risolene stop leak in the coolant and a small bottle of Lucas UCL/injector cleaner in the tank and bring it up to operating temp with a short drive if no more noises.

If you hear ticking noises, remove the valve covers and inspect the lash between the pushrods as well as the lateral play in the rocker arms.

Also, did you fill up with anything other than CO-OP premium?

My suggestion is to connect an ODB2 scanner and monitor the current & historical misfire counters to see if they are 0. I use a low cost Tech2 clone.

After that, my suggesion is to put a bottle of Risolene stop leak in the coolant and a small bottle of Lucas UCL/injector cleaner in the tank and bring it up to operating temp witha short drive if no more noises.

If you hear ticking noises, remove the valve covers and inspect the lash between the pushrods as well as the lateral play in the rocker arms.

Also, did you fill up with anything other than CO-OP premium?
Thanks for I will look into that.

Not a problem, although my recommendations are based on the assumption that you have already confirmed that there are no engine related diag codes thrown. Its always good to list all persisting codes along with the description of your issue.

Is there a difference from when the car goes between open loop and closed loop operation? Basically, can you find some sort of pattern such as it only smoking when the engine is either hot or cold??? Hopefully others would chime in, but I thought a flooding engine would blow black smoke?
As you probably already know from what you put in your post, white smoke typically means coolant is getting in there. Did you wipe your tail pipe (your cars tailpipe) to see if there is coolant or oil coming out the exhaust.

I`ve never had that problem, the only time I ever say any amount of exhaust vapor was transistioning from 5w30 semi-synth flush to a 0w30 M1 immediately after the oil & filter change, which I assume was oil detergent burnoff. During a long drive I once noticed low coolant due to a faulty thermostat that eventually started throwing a code for stuck open during winter warmup. The onboard diagnostics are very intelligent when the system is not throwing random codes caused by an electrical short of the data bus. If you think that the codes your car has thrown are legitimate, it would be best to first list them, before doing anything beyond adding the `snake oils` I suggested.

As far as open/closed loop operation, perhaps one of the engine builders from the Canadian plant might offer some assistance on this forum.

My first reponse alternately could have been that you blew a head gasket, but with 50K km and you not having mentioned any strenious engine conditions during the drive, it would seem unlikely.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I took it for a long drive. The engine began to miss and white smoke poured out the exhaust with strong gas smell. Garage checked and found injectors not working properly. Put can of Seefoan (injector cleaner) in and after a few minuets it cleared right up. Has been working great up until a few days ago and came down with the same thing. This time Seafoam did not work. I cleaned and tested injectors and all are fire-ring. Checked plugs all look the same and clean, replaced spark plug wires, pumped fuel through to make sure it is clean with no contaminants and erased codes. The white fog smells of gasoline not antifreeze and I only have 50K on the Corvette so why would it work Ok and then a couple of weeks later start up again. Then frustrated went out to start it up and ran great no smoke. I have run out of solutions that is why I think I need a mechanics expertise.

It is most unfortunate when an engine symptom is any smoke out of the exhaust, especially a Corvette. My gut tells me there is something wrong with the computer. It is telling the engine to run too rich and too lean at the same time. The valve train and the bottom half of the engine don't sound like they're dancing together. See if you can bring the car to a dyno test shop so they can tweak this for most horse power and performance. They will be able to tell if the engine computer is functioning correctly by their different settings. You may need to replace the car's computer that controls this.
Chances of the engine malfunctioning are slim especially after all the mechanicals you already did.
Good Luck and Keep Smiling.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread