Moon steel- I read a bit more into what you were saying earlier and I understand now. Your right. Fuel mileage an horse power are not going to be significant gains. At least not to justify to extra cost. I actually was looking into that megasquirt because it seemed like the ultimate DIY. I got turned away though because guys were saying that they were prone to issues and the tune system used old technology. Did you find any issues with your setups?

Hey Guys!

Also forgot to mention earlier that I now need a system that will support over 500hp. I've estimated the engine (based on similar builds) to produce around 510-520hp and 440 around torque.

Moon steel- I read a bit more into what you were saying earlier and I understand now. Your right. Fuel mileage an horse power are not going to be significant gains. At least not to justify to extra cost. I actually was looking into that megasquirt because it seemed like the ultimate DIY. I got turned away though because guys were saying that they were prone to issues and the tune system used old technology. Did you find any issues with your setups?

Hey Guys!

Also forgot to mention earlier that I now need a system that will support over 500hp. I've estimated the engine (based on similar builds) to produce around 510-520hp and 440 around torque.

The Holley System was very easy to install, Megasquirt needed more work, I built my own. You can buy them pre-packaged now.
MegaSquirt | Engine Management System | Electronic Fuel Injection - DIYAutoTune.com

Ya Moonsteel! That's what I was looking for. A lot more reasonably priced as well (all things considered). So I can just buy any mpi setup with rails and appropriate injectors and this will work? Such as the Edelbrock Pro-Flo?

Ya Moonsteel! That's what I was looking for. A lot more reasonably priced as well (all things considered). So I can just buy any mpi setup with rails and appropriate injectors and this will work? Such as the Edelbrock Pro-Flo?

"any" is a little broad, but generally speaking yes. You'll need to have provisions for idle air controller, intake air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor, 8 injectors and something to control you ignition (MSD box is pretty simple way to do it).
TPI manifold is problably the cheapest way to get the hardware you need, but any of the aftermarket ones will work, they are meant to be TPI replacements.
An easy way to start is to control fuel only first, get that installed/tuned etc, then add spark control.

Keep in mind Holley EFI, Megasquirt etc, are all configurable to handle just about any setup, so which manifold, how many injectors, etc... isn't really a big issue.
This diagram is basically how they all work (if a visual helps)
http://www.diyautotune.com/images/msharness/mswiring.png

"any" is a little broad, but generally speaking yes. You'll need to have provisions for idle air controller, intake air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor, 8 injectors and something to control you ignition (MSD box is pretty simple way to do it).
TPI manifold is problably the cheapest way to get the hardware you need, but any of the aftermarket ones will work, they are meant to be TPI replacements.
An easy way to start is to control fuel only first, get that installed/tuned etc, then add spark control.

Keep in mind Holley EFI, Megasquirt etc, are all configurable to handle just about any setup, so which manifold, how many injectors, etc... isn't really a big issue.
This diagram is basically how they all work (if a visual helps)
http://www.diyautotune.com/images/msharness/mswiring.png
Thanks Moonsteel. I think I will go that route then. That's a good plan to focus on fuel and get that worked out and then focus on spark. For now I'll probably just run my HEI and then down the road I can upgrade to the MSD box. Hopefully you can help me out if I need some knowledge on hooking everything up!

Hey Guys. Sorry I haven't been on for a while. Had a few more setbacks.

I finished replacing the body mounts on the passenger side and started on the drivers side. After getting everything unbolted and lifting the body I found that my #4 mount on the frame had an enlarged hole and thinned metal due to rust. My uncle had a look at it and decided with it being so close to the gas tank, that instead of welding it, make a plate that sits on top. Then curve it to match the mount and then he'll weld a stud on it to go through that hole at the back to keep it from sliding forward and the bushing will keep it from sliding side to side. It will utilize the sides of the mount (which are still good) for the support. I'll post a picture of it when I'm done. I'll have to do it to both sides so the body sits level.

Next thing. I finished getting my interior panels redone in leatherette. So the panels match my new Fiero seats and the dash has no more cracked speaker inserts.

Also. I have thought a lot about this efi thing. I know I keep changing my mind but hopefully this will be the route I go. I'm thinking that you guys have said good things about FiTech that I should just go with it. I've priced out an mpi setup utilizing the Fast setup and it comes out to around $3200 Canadian. Not bad, but for what your getting, not cheap. The FiTech is only $995 USD so with the couple grand I'll save I could even get some new wheels for it!

I'll keep you guys updated with more from the build. Thing to come are; I painted the evaporator housing and blower motor housing. I'm upgrading the squirrel cage to the C4 wheel for better air flow so I'll post some pictures of that. I've also added a so pieces of lava shield to the transmission tunnel and a part on the evaporator housing where the exhaust runs right next to in order to keep the heat away.

*Pictures below of the rear wheel and new dust caps:). Those #4 body mounts have been powder coated so they shouldn't rust again. Also some picture of my 210CC AFR heads and cam that came in!*

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 7
Hey Jr...
Nice clean work...it's coming along great.
You should relocate your parking brake cable bracket from the side of the trailing arm to the top.
Small mod that allows for wider tires..

Thanx for posting pics.
Graham

Here's a thread on a dyno comparison btn the FiTech unit and a Holley 950 carb. Interesting results, pls read from # 17 on as pg 2 explains the lean cyl results due to a vac leak. Good overlay graphs and write up, same engine and dyno only swapped the efi and carb units so a good comparison.

FITech - PY Online Forums

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread