Jan 1, 2014
Calgary AB
VetteCoins
Car
77 Corvette L82
Province
AB
Hello all once again!

So sadly this past summer the engine went on my 77 corvette. After saving some money I purchased a ZZ4 350 short block engine.

My question is; I've decided to go with a multi port injection setup. What would be the best system? I'm really interested in the holley stealth ram setup. What are the benefits of the stealth ram over conventional throttle body on top with air cleaner (Pictures below)? Obviously being 18 I'm not prepared to spend over $3500. The stealth ram is $2800. I would also need something that will work under 6000rpm or 6500rpm (Can't remember what my engine cap is). Thx!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 46
There are a whole pile of differences in those setups.
Basically the Stealth ram would be for an engine with about 500+ hp. It should be used in conjunction with a bunch of other performance parts. other wise the full potential of the ram can't be reached. this will take you well over your budget.
the basic throttle body is still customizable for hp gains and, out of the box on a ZZ4 it should provide everything you need for a kick @$$ power plant.
If you like the look of your engine popping out of your hood you can achieve that with after market bling. that's pricey too...
cool factor vs horse power. fun stuff... lol

Alright cool thx. Ya I think I'm still leaning towards the stealth ram. I got a short block in order to add some nice heads and a nice cam. Stock the ZZ4 has around 380hp and 414 torque. I hope to have mid 400hp and high 400 torque. Because the stock ZZ4 has old heads and a cam that doesn't really 'fit' that should be achievable. I also have plans of a centrifugal supercharger in the future if I feel like it needs a bit more of a kick. Plus the looks of that stealth ram.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. Ya, lot of fun! I'll keep you guys posted with some more pics once I start getting stuff together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 42
Take a lok at the new FiTech mpfi unit that the brought to SEMA and won an award. No idea on pricing yet but their tbi unit has rec'd rave reviews and is $999 US. They are self learning units and relatively easy to install.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 39
Thx gdh! I'll have to check that out!

Buckhorn76. I think it should be fine. I've got the TH400 which is really strong. I think stock it's good to 700 and I'm refreshing it with new seals. As for the rear end I'm not sure. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Actually gdh. I just went on their website at, FItechefi.com and they don't have any multi-port systems; listed at least. Do you know of a retailer or is this someones custom mpi setup?

MPI is hugely outdated , and I would certainly not recommend it .

Now for that engine , I would recommend that you go with a fuel injection system from FAST . These work very well and and current technology .

Call Dave at the shop and he can run you through it .

866 992 3752

Actually gdh. I just went on their website at, FItechefi.com and they don't have any multi-port systems; listed at least. Do you know of a retailer or is this someones custom mpi setup?
They just brought it out at SEMA and haven't updated their webpage. FAST, Edel, Holley, MSD and FITECH are all very similar. My biggest initial concern with FiTech was that the owner came from Powerjection but seems he learned a valuable lesson as the new tbi units have been excellent. Read owners reviews on Corvette, Mustang, Pontiac and other forums. They also supply OEM. Are you going with a new gas tank, which fuel pump?
Just to be clear, I don't work in the industry, don't stand to make $ off of any sales.

Thanks Manny! I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Moon steel - How's that setup working for you. Any pros and cons?

Here are some more pics of how the build is going. Took 3 days to get the body bushings off but it's done and I've spent the past week painting.

Thanks guys again for all the input!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Manny! I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Moon steel - How's that setup working for you. Any pros and cons?

Here are some more pics of how the build is going. Took 3 days to get the body bushings off but it's done and I've spent the past week painting.

Thanks guys again for all the input!

Background I've installed Megasquirt (twice) and SDS systems before. (not on this car).
I found the install easy, everything was labelled/easy to read. I chose to run my own fuel lines (braided) and install an in tank pump.
I used the 350 SBC setup as my baseline, fired up and ran pretty well using that.
I recommend reading everything twice before you start tuning.
Car runs smoothly, great to cruise around (Might be more the TPI manifold) and gets much better gas mileage.
You're not going to save tons of gas over a properly tuned carb IMO, nor are you going to make more horsepower. But...it started oh so easily every time and I'm a EFI nut :)

I was torn between FAST and Holley, Holley controlled spark/FAST did not (at the time).

Moon steel- Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to go with the Holley Stealth Ram for a couple reasons. The Holley provides the under good clearance (10.5") so I can switch back to the factory hood or at least open up my options.

Second is I love the style of the holley system. The only sad part will be not getting the use the air filter I custom painted for my old setup (picture below).

Third is it provides an easy install for a centrifugal supercharger if I ever want to go that route. Thank you everybody for your input. I'll keep this forum going for the build if anyone wants to watch the progress and see the final engine with the mpi setup.

Here are some more pictures of how it's going. Halfway through installing lava shield. Stuff cost me an arm and a leg at $346 for a 5x4 sheet but should knock down that interior heat as it's good to 1800degrees F. Stuff is a bear to install and the intimidation of screwing it up makes it a long project to 3 hours and a lot of pray to The Lord to get it on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 10
Did you buy the Holley system yet? I saw a few US based retailers that had the Holley systems on sale on Black Friday, didn't check about Boxing Day sales. I think the FiTech mpfi unit hits the mkt in April at $1800. I'm sure that you'll be very pleased with the Holley system. All tge best with ypur build.

Hey Guys!

Well in light of the recent economy and the brakes that set me back I'd like to introduce some new options.

Now with the economic dump the Holley stealth ram is around $3,700 CDN. The Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT is way out there at around $4,700 CDN.

Now I've done some searching because in all honesty port injection seems to get 1-2 mpg better than carb. The TBI is probably pretty close to MPI. So really I'm looking for consistent performance and tune ability (Road trips with major altitude change because I'm in Calgary AB).

I've been contacting a rep in Calgary about Haltech ECU running with Edelbrock Pro flo manifold and fuel system. Basically a custom mpi. I'll try to get some prices once I find out more. There is also the Afordable-fuel-injection (AFI) which is my next option at around $2,700 CDN for MPI, ACCEL, etc.

As much as I like the look of the Pro-Flo and Stealth Ram, it looks like I may have to go a different route. I'd love some opinions on alternative systems; anything efi. Anything on the AFI MPI system as it is the most affordable for the system. Pictures would also be a big help because I love popping the hood and having heads turn.

Thanks guys

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread