Power User
Mar 27, 2019
Bonnyville
VetteCoins
Car
70th #1259
Province
AB
So I got ten litres of Mobil 1 esp 0w40 dexos2 for my 2019. In looking closely at the bottle it says X3 0w40. My question (and there is no reference to it in the Mobil website) is the X3 0w40 the same as the Formula 0w40 that the dealers are using? I’m wondering if my bottles are just older stock and if Mobil just redid the labels.

So I got ten litres of Mobil 1 esp 0w40 dexos2 for my 2019. In looking closely at the bottle it says X3 0w40. My question (and there is no reference to it in the Mobil website) is the X3 0w40 the same as the Formula 0w40 that the dealers are using? I’m wondering if my bottles are just older stock and if Mobil just redid the labels.
I think it says ESP on the jug if I remember EJ talking about it earlier......

It is ESP but is labelled as Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w40. The manual says to use Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40. I think the X3 is a European oil. It is a 0w40. It is ESP, and it is Dexos 2. Just trying to determine whether I can use it.

BC2F6091-0CF7-445F-9F1F-CF7D49870F34.png

Or
86E94A4F-7817-4213-BC4C-1549DB525C82.jpeg

It is ESP but is labelled as Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w40. The manual says to use Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40. I think the X3 is a European oil. It is a 0w40. It is ESP, and it is Dexos 2. Just trying to determine whether I can use it.

View attachment 38955
Or
View attachment 38956
Wouldn't bother me for a second to use it. The "formula" supposedly has another additive that discusses a fraction more burnout protection for the Catalytic converter. Next year Mobil will likely change the name to Formula 'Superduper', put a drop of something else new in it, add another 10 bucks a litre and pay GM and the other automakers another kickback for recommending it... There are a lot of extremely good oils out there but you have to give credit to Exxon- Mobil for their marketing strategies. JMO

I don't see the difference between the 2 bottles you posted other than size/shape. Where is this 'X3' you're talking about?

Edit - I see it now, little tiny X3 to the left of 0W-40. I have no idea what that means, but I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.
first bottle just says 'ESP'.Second bottle says ESP 'Formula'

• Agree
Reactions: Cariboocreek
The ESP X3 0w40 is the correct oil. The Mobil part number is 124174 for the 12x1L bottles. It's only available in Canada in 1L bottles. Lol ask me how I know ....I sell Mobil oils and Esso fuels, well at least before the Covid bug forced me into a temporary retirement from shrinking sales. Can't wait to get back to work

The ESP X3 0w40 is the correct oil. The Mobil part number is 124174 for the 12x1L bottles. It's only available in Canada in 1L bottles. Lol ask me how I know ....I sell Mobil oils and Esso fuels, well at least before the Covid bug forced me into a temporary retirement from shrinking sales. Can't wait to get back to work
Interesting. I called Mobil yesterday and was told there are differences between the X3 and the Formula but he couldn’t tell me what they are other than the Formula is the factory fill. So what is the difference between Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w40 and Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40?

PS: I need an answer in 400 kilometers....lol.

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
Interesting. I called Mobil yesterday and was told there are differences between the X3 and the Formula but he couldn’t tell me what they are other than the Formula is the factory fill. So what is the difference between Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w40 and Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40?

Why are you worrying? Demand the Mobil 1 from your dealer and let them stress about it. (HINT: they won't stress)

Love your hoist but this oil change should definitely be done by your or (a) dealership Al. For your future benefit.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Free oil from dealer = priceless...….. :Hurray:
Potential for damage while at dealer = worthless...…..:Banghead:

Odds are there will be no issues but we have all heard the horror stories. When I had a lift changing oil was part of my quiet time alone in the garage. Even without a lift now I enjoy doing it myself.

• Haha
I don't have any horror stories as I do my own oil changes but reports of loose oil filter or drain plugs as well as overfilling from other forums come to mind. :Cheers2:

What reports? 3 Corvettes, 3 Hummers, and a Cadillac here and always been treated perfectly with no problems. I don't particularly appreciate people slagging factory service with nothing to back it up. And before you get all high and mighty... I have always done my own oil changes till I could afford not to.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Free oil from dealer = priceless...….. :Hurray:
Potential for damage while at dealer = worthless...…..:Banghead:

Odds are there will be no issues but we have all heard the horror stories. When I had a lift changing oil was part of my quiet time alone in the garage. Even without a lift now I enjoy doing it myself.

In the early years of the C7 there were some posts regarding dealer oil change boo boos but I think that was due to some of the small dealers that had yet to be trained on the C7. I was allowed to witness my first service and had no problems at all. I still have my changes done at my dealer but I supply the oil. They check for any recalls, supply the filter, do the multi point, top up the washer fluid and would wash it for me but I don't let them. Supplying your own oil saves a ton of $'s.

Obviously Al, you should let the dealer at the very least do your break-in oil change for warranty purposes. Then if you want to forego the rest of your free changes and do your own, go for it. For what they charge me when I supply the oil, the power bill for just turning on the lights in my shop isn't worth me doing my own... lol... jmo

My understanding is that the ESP Formula 0w40 is the 'old' formulation in the discontinued 6x1L bottle packs. The ESP X3 is the newer formulation in the 12x1L packs and has been updated to meet the newer Mercedes spec (229.52 I think). Both are Dexos 2 approved and good for the Vettes. Mobil has been going through a lot of product rationalization and packaging changes over the last year and a bit. The ESP Formula 0w40 should be gone once stock runs out - still available on the Imperial Oil Summary Stock Plan as of this month.

• Informative