Well, I checked this out and here is the info for all us C7 users: Jan. 13/2015 all GM dealers received message #G_0000208346 that states: " As a reminder, dealers are required to use Mobil 1 when performing oil changes on ALL 2014-2015 CORVETTES through the Chevrolet Complete Care Program". So, Mobil 1 should be used with no extra cost. I am going in to-day to get a refund of the extra money they charged me on my oil change. Man, I am really pissed at Carter GM for trying to pull the wool over my eyes on this one.
If you have a Z51, GM Canada did not recognize thru the dealership the 5th oil change.
I had to pay for #5
I had to call GM Canada and they sent a certificate for 1 oil change ???

This has been an issue from the start of the C7 program. Lots of dealers claim it not being included when it is, you just have to push them a bit.

The other thing is to always check your bill when leaving, since Mobil 1 is not standard at the dealership, the smartest guys in the shop are not doing the oil change so screw ups can happen easily. I had it happen and didn't catch it until I got home, then had to go back and they had to redo the oil change.

My dealer threw in 2 extra years ( 4 more changes ), after the included initial 5 for my Z51. Smart, it keeps you coming back.

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the new C7s with dry sump have the DEXOS logo on the filler cap and the service writers have been told that anything that comes into the shop with DEXOS written on the filler cap gets DEXOS oil and as far as they are concerned that includes the C7. I am sure that the DEXOS is perfectly fine as it is a synthetic or semi-synthetic but most of us long time Corvette owners know that GM has been pushing Mobile 1 for decades and we have grown to like it and even get fixated on it although I am sure that any of the premium brand synthetics are just as good. GM has now issued a service bulletin advising dealers that the initial free oil change program for the C7s should include Mobile 1 but you have to push the issue with some dealers who don't see a lot of Corvettes. I suspect Gateway in Brampton know better by now as they service quite a number of Vettes. Gateway did not know this in September as I had my 800 km change done on my new GS done there and they put in DEXOS. I was initially tempted to make them switch it out but I was in a bit of a rush and I know from reading a number of technical engineering studies on oils that the difference was miniscule especially for a car that gets babied like mine. In the future I will mention it in advance. As a side note I have recently seen some suggestions that the new Castrol synthetic is the new king of the mountain but again have not seen a technical study that could differentiate it from any other.

Well did I ever stumble over something interesting today (on STAR WARS DAY - May 4th 2017)

I went in to my nearby Dealership for my 1st of 4 oil changes that are included in my 2-year Corvette Service Program. (I actually get 5 because I am in the Z51 dry-sump Program with the 1st change at 800km ... then 4 more after that)

I was greeted by the Dealer Service Rep today and was told that the cost for Mobil 1 was not included in the Program and that I would have to pay for the "upgrade". I said put Mobil 1 in my car as it is pretty much written everywhere as the recommended oil for Corvettes by GM Canada. I was set to call GM Canada once I got home BUT while my Corvette was being Serviced I challenged the Dealership to provide proof that GM would not reimburse them for using Mobil 1. They looked deeper and found a "so-called" new/recent Service Tech Document that apparently states MOBIL 1 will now be included in the Program. So ... zero cost for the service today ! 100% satisfaction.

I am posting this so that all the Owners out there who are still in the 2-year Program can insist on the use of Mobil 1 and
challenge your Service Dealer to provide proof that GM Canada will not reimburse them if they attempt to charge an upgraded cost.

This is a big deal when the dry-sump systems require a 10 litre oil change ... $$$

I am trying to get a copy of this new GM Canada Bulletin ... no luck yet. This so that I do not have to arm-wrestle with my 3 remaining Mobil 1 oil changes.

Good Fortune to you all !!!
I looked at the the TSB. and what you quote is for USA models only, not sure how that works, there is no difference. I am going back to dealership to talk to service manager on this mine is not a dry sump system. Most info I see states GM came to a deal with Mobil one and this gave way to the change.
As a note it says on filler cap Dexon 5w30.
Owners manual states Mobil one recommended by GM for dry sump engines.
Dexon 1 for non dry sump engines. Or cars being used on track.
If you have a new 17, non dry sump what does it state now?

Here is he link for the TSB.
2014 - 2018 Corvette: Service Bulletin: [HASHTAG]#PIP5290E[/HASHTAG]: Oil Change information For 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet Corvette (US Only)

Either way it's your ride do what you feel is right, ensure the oil bottle states Dexon 1 approved.

Not sure if this is a dead topic or not, but I just received emailfrom GM Canada customer service , and Mobil1 synthetic is included in service contract.

Darren

Reactions: YFCvii
Not sure if this is a dead topic or not, but I just received emailfrom GM Canada customer service , and Mobil1 synthetic is included in service contract.

Darren
Any chance you can forward me that email Darren... I didn't get into the thread but way back my dealer said ne.... and I also contacted GM Customer Service and they told me over the phone is wasn't as well. I would really like to take the body of that email into my dealer, crumble it into a ball and shove it ...errrr.... you know... Thx in advance if you will and you're welcome to remove all trace of yourself off it... If so, PM me and I will give you my email...

Darren

Not Dead at all ... I also would appreciate a copy as this is what I need to avoid the arm-wrestles for my remaining 3 oil changes ... I appreciate your replying to this and I too would reply to a PM with my email (as some sort of GM-Canada document - even if censored for recipient name - is pretty much why I created this thread). These Dealerships will no longer get away with any attempt of such shenanigans. Cheers !!! :thumbs:
(if uncomfortable with this .. no problem just let me know in a PM and I will challenge GM Canada as well)

Probably easier to put it here as an image or pdf with names redacted. You're right, all the service bulletins suggest US cars only and Canadian dealers should follow 2 year lube guidelines whatever they may be.

Here is the email I received. Hope this helps.
I have talked to service manager at Budds in Oakville and they are redoing my oil change with Mobil1.

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 4:07 PM <
[email protected]> wrote:

Mr. D

Thank you for your patience while we research your inquiry.

Under the 2-Year Scheduled Lube-Oil-Filter Maintenance Program, all vehicles will be serviced at participating GM Canada dealers with the recommended oil for the vehicle along with quality ACDelco replacement parts; only ACDelco dexos1®, dexos2®, Mobil 1® Synthetic and ACDelco Filters.

As per your owner manual, Engine oil meeting the dexos1™ specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended. For track events or competitive driving, use Mobil 1® engine oil.

Should you require future assistance, please contact us again by calling our Customer Care Centre, toll-free, 1-800-263-3777 or 1-800-263-7854 (French), Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 11:00pm, Saturdays, 8:00am to 5:00pm, Eastern Standard Time.

Thank you for contacting General Motors of Canada Limited.

Customer Care Ambassador
General Motors of Canada Company
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, ON. L1H8P7
&&&&&&&@);;@gmcustomercare.ca

Reactions: YFCvii
A big Thank you to Darren for his post as I followed up this morning with Customer Care again and was a bit more specific about this concern.
I explained that documents everywhere appear to state Mobil 1 as the recommendation yet Dealers (attempt to) state differently.
My Customer Care Representative took a great deal of time to help me this time. We went through the owners' manual and in doing so
I came across a STICKER that I was unaware of having. It was with all my delivery stuff in the glove box.
I am posting a scan of the exact page from the Owners' Manual in regard to the Dry Sump Oil System and Mobil 1. (just above the Caution box)
I am also adding a scan of a Mobil 1 booklet that came with my car that has a sticker that I am to fix to the car (didn't know this).
So should anyone out there have the same experience with any Dealership in regard to the 2-year Oil Service inclusion, hope this helps you too.
( a Dealership should not be able to play the "USA only card" - the Mobil book is bilingual )

I sure envy all those out there with a great Service Dealership who doesn't put you through this crap
(I have two more Dealerships to try out here in Calgary - until I find one without excuses -
after which I will be enjoying a cruise to Red Deer and Edmonton for Service)

... and thrilled to give my wrap-up comment at the very bottom in red ...
and a big thank you to all of you who added comments

a big help to us C7 buyers
thermalbreakexists20170509_45a.jpg
thermalbreakexists20170509_43.jpg
thermalbreakexists20170509_44.jpg

:thumbs: My Sticker has it's place as instructed :thumbs:
Beware Calgary Dealership Service Advisors who tell me "sorry no Mobil 1 included" ...
:greedy: as some of my buds say in the light construction industry ... "Bite Me" !!! :Woot:

Mobil1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: smackYYZ
I just had my 800 break-in oil change... I took it to Leggat Chevrolet in Burlington Ontario. My 2017 has Mobil 1 on the oil cap, as well as it came with a sticker for me to install (why the factory don't do it is beyond me, they install all the other stickers). I asked if they used Mobil 1 on Vettes and he said they do, and it was on my receipt stating Mobil 1. I didn't not get any "remainder" from a bottle though. leggatchevrolet.ca

Reactions: Darren
I just had my 800 break-in oil change... I took it to Leggat Chevrolet in Burlington Ontario. My 2017 has Mobil 1 on the oil cap, as well as it came with a sticker for me to install (why the factory don't do it is beyond me, they install all the other stickers). I asked if they used Mobil 1 on Vettes and he said they do, and it was on my receipt stating Mobil 1. I didn't not get any "remainder" from a bottle though. leggatchevrolet.ca

I hear ya man. All that we want is what the books and stickers say ... happy yours went well

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.