Power User
Mar 27, 2019
Bonnyville
VetteCoins
Car
70th #1259
Province
AB
So Friend of mine owns a small automotive shop in Langdon, just outside Calgary. I was in his shop today and on the shelf he has the Mobil 0W40 ESP Dexos oil. He stocks it and would be happy to bring more in for the Corvette crowd. $17.50/litre. He just recommends calling ahead to make sure he has stock, and if he does not have stock he can get an order in for the next day. The shop is called Langdon Automotive and his phone number is listed on their website.

Why would you not just use motul 8100 which is a true group 1v synthetic and also Dexos 2 compliant. Also a hell of a better oil

The reason is that Motul 8100 X-MAX 0W-40 full synthetic is not DEXOS2 certified and, as such, is not warranty approved by GM for use in LT1, LT4 and LT5 engines produced after February 2018. You are correct as regards their 5W-30 and I agree that the Motul products are certainly as good as and possibly superior to Mobil 1 but, in the case of the 0W-40, it is not DEXOS2 certified. I wish that it was. Tech sheet attached.

Attachments

• mot.tech.doc.pdf
    132.3 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Vegas1500
Originally my 2017 GS came with 5W-30 and 0W-40 was only to be used on the track. Doesn't anyone know why it all changed to 0W-40 on road & track for 2018 or was it 2019???
Supposedly better cold weather start flow characteristics and and better protection at high oil temperature for those who track their cars... or maybe those that drive like they're on the track...lol... I do neither so have no intention of spending 200%+ more on the 0-40 esp... Plus I have 25 litres of Mobil 1 5-30 in my garage... bought when it was $22.00 for 4.7 litre jug.

As it is the oil specified in the manual, I would assume that if one used a different viscosity, warranty could be voided. Of course it would have to be proven. I am pretty sure my manual stipulates the ESP 0w40 with Dexos with no other options. Yes I know meeting spec etc...that another oil could be used.

OMG it just occurred to me that this is turning into an oil thread.

Last edited:
Originally my 2017 GS came with 5W-30 and 0W-40 was only to be used on the track. Doesn't anyone know why it all changed to 0W-40 on road & track for 2018 or was it 2019???

Up until the 2019 MY (01/18) factory fill was Mobil 1 5w-30, Dexos1 for regular street use in all LT1 and LT4 engines. Mobil 1 15w-50 was required for tack use but could not be used for everyday street driving. The owner's manual went so far as to recommend 0w-30 for cold weather protection below -29C.

At the beginning of the 2019 MY (01/18) the factory switched to Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40, Dexos2 for 3 reasons. 1 - better cold weather start protection. 2 - Improved wear protection. 3 - One oil to cover both street and track use.

Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40, Dexos2 certified, is now recommended for all current gen LT1, LT4 and LT5 engines although Mobil 1 5w-30 is acceptable for street use only and both are warranty approved by GM.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40.pdf
    444.3 KB · Views: 25
Up until the 2019 MY (01/18) factory fill was Mobil 1 5w-30, Dexos1 for regular street use in all LT1 and LT4 engines. Mobil 1 15w-50 was required for tack use but could not be used for everyday street driving. The owner's manual went so far as to recommend 0w-30 for cold weather protection below -29C.

At the beginning of the 2019 MY (01/18) the factory switched to Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40, Dexos2 for 3 reasons. 1 - better cold weather start protection. 2 - Improved wear protection. 3 - One oil to cover both street and track use.

Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40, Dexos2 certified, is now recommended for all current gen LT1, LT4 and LT5 engines although Mobil 1 5w-30 is acceptable for street use only and both are warranty approved by GM.

Hope this helps.
Hi Where can I but Mobil 1 0w40 dexos gen1 or 2 for my 2019 Vett

Based on the advice I've received here on the forum, I'd be ordering from rockauto. Even with the exchange rate and shipping cost it is still less expensive than anywhere in Ontario. However, if you're not tracking the car you can use Mobil 1 5W-30, Dexos2 as per the owner's manual. It is warranty approved, easy to obtain locally and reasonably priced. That's what I use in my 2019 GS.

Best regards
Ross

Don't order from Rock Auto! We have a distributor right here just north of Okotoks, Alberta. They had 2 pallets when I picked up a case a few weeks ago. Thats where the dealers get it. A 6 litre case was $69.00 + GST
The Mobil website shows three dealers in Toronto
1625435700571.png

1625435269486.png

Last edited:
Reactions: V8!
Not sure if calgary has one but I get it in Edmonton right from the Mobil distributor in the west end.

That's where I get my oil as well and it may be the best price around since it's direct from the "wholesale source". Their prices are negotiable and if you mention you're from a Corvette Forum/Club you'll do better on the price. It takes a few days to get in. For others not in Edmonton, I recommend finding your largest local Mobil Oil distributor and asking for a price per case (6 quarts/case) then negotiate...and there's strength in numbers so if you join with a few friends, you should do better if ordering more cases. For 3 cases, my price worked out to $10.99/quart and that's including $1.70 "freight and EHC" (Environmental Handling Charge) and $9.42 for the 5% gst; w/o any of those extra costs the 3 cases came to $186.72 ($62.24/case ++). This is for Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 Dexos2. I've heard of others doing better on the price but that was in the States.

Reactions: V8!
That's where I get my oil as well and it may be the best price around since it's direct from the "wholesale source". Their prices are negotiable and if you mention you're from a Corvette Forum/Club you'll do better on the price. It takes a few days to get in. For others not in Edmonton, I recommend finding your largest local Mobil Oil distributor and asking for a price per case (6 quarts/case) then negotiate...and there's strength in numbers so if you join with a few friends, you should do better if ordering more cases. For 3 cases, my price worked out to $10.99/quart and that's including $1.70 "freight and EHC" (Environmental Handling Charge) and $9.42 for the 5% gst; w/o any of those extra costs the 3 cases came to $186.72 ($62.24/case ++). This is for Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 Dexos2. I've heard of others doing better on the price but that was in the States.
Got mine for $31/case….guess I got a good deal 👍🏻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread